The End of Evan Silva's Advice...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who is Evan Silva?

I don’t even know who the F Evan Silva is, nor do I care. The only advice I follow is AxElf and even then, I do the complete opposite..

I play with diehard fantasy junkies and I play with casual fantasy enthusiasts and every single one has laughed at this price tag. It will be interesting to see how many tens of people sign up for thi

Posted Images

11 hours ago, ZayMonay said:

who in their right mind is paying $200 dollars for his insight plus some other random analyst insight

I'd guess that their twitter buddies will sign up for it.  Bloom, Sharp, Tags, etc.  There seems to be a circlejerk among those types.

But no serious, high-stakes DFS player is gonna pay $200 for this, because they've already got their own system.  No casual player is gonna pay for this, either, cuz are you kidding?  They're gonna get a very few rich assholes who set lineups just for the fun of blowing money, but ... I just hope for their families' sakes that they have another source of income cuz they won't get enough subscribers to cover rent.

• Like 2

I loved the matchup column.   Generally 4-5 times a year when i was really twisted up with whom to start, that was my go to.   I'm not the type that would have the time to do the research needed to get the same data so it was good.   

Charging for it, i get it.   People gotta eat, but its really over $200 per season?   Football doesn't even last half the year, and the subscription model for just about anything these days caps at a much, much lower price.    

In terms of accuracy, my own gotcha moment was 2014.  I actually unfollowed Silva after that, i found myself falling into a Silva trap and he was wrong about a f-ton of guys I drafted that year.  The one i recall most was Torrey Smith:  "He's the X receiver in Trestman's offense, he's gonna get fed"- and no, Steve Smith got that gig, and to be fair, he did eat, so the logic was right, but everything in my brain told me that Torrey was trash, i was right, and i went against my own judgment.  

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'd guess that their twitter buddies will sign up for it.  Bloom, Sharp, Tags, etc.  There seems to be a circlejerk among those types.

But no serious, high-stakes DFS player is gonna pay $200 for this, because they've already got their own system.  No casual player is gonna pay for this, either, cuz are you kidding?  They're gonna get a very few rich assholes who set lineups just for the fun of blowing money, but ... I just hope for their families' sakes that they have another source of income cuz they won't get enough subscribers to cover rent.

I would think there isn't nearly as much startup capital needed for this venture as many others, so their takehome per subscriber should be high, but yeah, i struggle to see how they'll make their nut.    Maybe its more of a vanity thing?  

22 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I would think there isn't nearly as much startup capital needed for this venture as many others, so their takehome per subscriber should be high, but yeah, i struggle to see how they'll make their nut.    Maybe its more of a vanity thing?  

Hit the nail on the head.

I mean, hell, even their site name - “Establish the Run” is a smug, inside joke intended to mock those ignorant coaches who have a run-first mentality and celebrate their own intellectual superiority.

• Like 5

I'm not trying to blast the guy necessarily, but there definitely was a cloud of smug around Silva.     That's the difference between him and a Berry IMO.  Berry makes me laugh and I enjoy his writing, he reminds me of me in some ways.   You really get the sense of the guy who just started a blog and is now living his dream.    His advice maybe is good, maybe isn't, i dont analyze it, but he's fun.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

Coupon? Where did ya find that?

You can try Google to find a freshie but typically the writers post promo codes. I believe there's one for all first year sign ups too. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jujus-jujubees said:

His matchup column was very thorough, but ultimately came across as coin flips after reviewing in hindsight.

Couldn't have said it any better. That is exactly how I felt about the matchup column. I'd read it every week, but more often than not it was a coin flip. There was a lot of analysis and bias rolled into it that ultimately had no impact on the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Onyx said:

I don’t even know who the F Evan Silva is, nor do I care.

The only advice I follow is AxElf and even then, I do the complete opposite..

Axe Elf wouldn't belittle himself to offer his insights for a mere $200 

• Haha 1

They're marketing to higher stakes people that don't have the time to research. I could see them doing quite well with people that don't obsessively read and post on message boards.

• Like 1

I will never understand why people pay for other people's opinions. What makes a guy like Evan Silva anymore knowledgeable than guys in here? I would listen to some people through these message boards over goons like Silva or Matthew Berry, etc. They are good for the casual fan that doesn't know much and needs to be pointed in a direction but not much else in my opinion.

The fact that Silva is going to charge that much for a subscription is hilarious to me. Who is going to pay that?

There were maybe 3-4 useful nuggets of info that I would find each week in his entire matchup column. The rest of it was pretty much common knowledge, or at least information you could quickly tally yourself. 

So unless these new columns are going to be better, I can't come close to justifying that $200 pricetag. I don't think the average fantasy football player even spends half that much on league fees each year.

I read his column weekly for years, but as excited as I would get to read it, I rarely came away with a different start/sit strategy than I had going in. It was pure entertainment.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 2
On 7/14/2019 at 6:03 AM, joshua18 said:

Now that he's left Rotoworld and is charging $230/year to access his matchup column and other work (he's also leaving the Fantasy Feast pod after August). 

Personally, I take it as a challenge to keep my independent research up because as useful as Silva was, he was wrong a LOT.

Any thoughts from those who (like me) will not be paying for fantasy advice?

I used Silva’s top 150 list exclusively one season and finished dead last.

He gets personal biases and then just harps on them all offseason.

We’ll be fine. If anything, Silva has been good on twitter simply because he just retweets buzz from around the league and from beat writers. His personal opinions should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
On 7/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, BrianM said:

The Fantasy Footballer guys are making their nut for sure. They're UDK is $25 to subscribe, but they're making their wad on their Patreon members. I just looked, and they have 5,221 members. So even if every one of those is just paying the $5/month fee, that's $26,105 per month, or $313,260 per year. That doesn't count what they make off the UDK and doesn't count the $10/month, $20/month, $25/month (enough of these that they have no space left for this category), or the $50/month members. Granted, they have to pay for the podcast, other overhead, employees...but I'd venture to say they're making a nice living off of their FF advice/perspectives.

7 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

the heck is a patreon?

Patreon is worth checking out.

I support a couple YouTube channels that do great work (in my mind) for a very limited audience (so the clicks won't make them rich): one artist I think does good work, some math related channel who puts weeks of work into explaining complex matters, one football analyst who goes deep without trying to hype, etc.

I throw them 1-2$ every month, and if a couple 100 people do that regularly, they can afford to keep making the videos I love. To me one of the best ways of crowdfunding.

• Like 5

Don't understand the hate for a guy wanting to monetize something he's good at. Not like a fantasy football writer is a lucrative career. 

I enjoyed his insights. It's easy for message board posters to throw rocks from behind their computers when they don't have an annual top 150 rankings for people to pick apart.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GriffeySwag said:

Don't understand the hate for a guy wanting to monetize something he's good at. Not like a fantasy football writer is a lucrative career. 

I enjoyed his insights. It's easy for message board posters to throw rocks from behind their computers when they don't have an annual top 150 rankings for people to pick apart.

I'm pretty sure that for most the hate is for someone who although good was very arrogant, rarely owned his (many) wrong calls, and now thinks his advice is worth paying $230 a year for. 

Most of his appeal was that his advice was free, which is why many overlooked his wrong calls in favor of his in-depth research and mostly logic-based analysis. When you start charging for your work, there is a level of accountability for the accuracy of your predictions that no one in this "industry" has the integrity to seek -- especially when you are willing to ridicule those who disagree with you [i.e. 2015 draft -- (paraphrasing) "I don't know what the Cardinals were thinking...they chose the one running back who won't be a threat to Andre Ellington. David Johnson is a D-II RB who can't run between the tackles; he's just a glorified H-back".]

Arrogance without accountability is tolerable by some when the advice is free. Making people pay for said advice crosses a line for most people, as it should. It's just like in any other profession. 

• Like 5
  • Sun Tzu changed the title to The End of Evan Silva's Advice...