NBC Sports Edge Forums

Corey Clement 2019 Outlook

I give this guy the "most forgotten about player in fantasy" award. He was really good as a rookie, and played well while battling injuries last year.

Let's take at the Eagles backfield. They added Jordan Howard and Miles Sanders. Howard, we all know, is an early down back. No matter how many times we see articles about him working on his pass catching, anyone who's ever watched him can tell he's the most unnatural player trying to transition from catching a football to making a play. So, he should be locked in as the lead back. Sanders is a highly touted RB with a wide array of skills, but he wasn't an elite pass catcher by any means in college. I think he does have that skill set, but he's probably being groomed to replace Howard as the lead back. His role is likely to expand over time, but he'll start as the backup to Howard. On the other hand, if he proves to be a beast from day one, then he probably earns the lead role, and Howard serves as a player who spells him. 

However that competition plays out, the role of pass catching back is still available. Remember, this is an offense that likes to rotate several backs in and out. That leaves Clement, Smallwood, Adams, and Scott, fighting for that role. Smallwood looks like the archetype of a JAG, Adams is a bruiser, and Scott is a speedster who seems to provide more special teams and gadget value. Smart money seems to be on Clement being the third down back for a team that could have a great offense again. I doubt he's even getting drafted anywhere. Seems like a nice amount of upside for a player who's free, even in deep leagues. 

Caveat - Yes, this is a deep league/dynasty league directed post. Please don't respond with, "LOL, I'll never start this guy in my 8 team league". 

• Like 1
On 7/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, Geaux Saints said:

I could see Clement being dealt before the season. He's a good back that could help a team like the Bucs, Texans, or Chargers if Gordon leaves. He has no fantasy value if he stays in Philly though.

I agree with this post.  There are at least 2 other rb's in Philly (Howard and the rookie) that the coaching staff values a lot more for Clement to have much value this year unless there are injuries.  If he gets traded to another team where he is in at least a 50/50 timeshare then he becomes worthwhile.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sjm76 said:

I agree with this post.  There are at least 2 other rb's in Philly (Howard and the rookie) that the coaching staff values a lot more for Clement to have much value this year unless there are injuries.  If he gets traded to another team where he is in at least a 50/50 timeshare then he becomes worthwhile.

I should also add the Vikings to the list of teams that could use a guy like Clement. All they have behind Cook is a rookie and Ameer Abdullah. Not exactly a stacked depth chart if Dalvin goes down.

• Like 1