NBC Sports Edge Forums

Detroit Tigers 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

On the bright side, they should be able to significantly beef up their farm system if they move Boyd and Greene given how many buyers there are going to be and how many of those teams are in need of rotation and bullpen help.  Neither is a conventional "rental" on the last year of their deal, so teams who might not be willing to go "all in" can invest in them with some chance of getting a return on their investment next season if they don't manage to secure a 2019 wild card spot.

• Like 1

Do we have anyone in the minors who can hit?  Mize, Manning, and Skubal seem nice on the pitching end.  All the hitters seem pretty blah, too old, or infinitely raw.

I shouldn't be too hard on Jackson, he did get us Scherzer and was good the last time he pitched for us.  Of course now we have Zimmerman and the bad version of EJax.  When does Ross and Moore comeback again? 🙄

Edited by Sternes
7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hopefully that doesn’t mean that fan favorite Ryan Carpenter is done in the rotation.  The future was now!

I'm going to miss betting overs when he was on the mound.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sternes said:

Do we have anyone in the minors who can hit?  Mize, Manning, and Skubal seem nice on the pitching end.  All the hitters seem pretty blah, too old, or infinitely raw.

Riley Greene can take.

Whoever you get back for Boyd.

• Like 1

Yeah Riley Greene, who is a few years away. Paredes and WCastro can be solid contributors I suppose. Then you have raw guys like Daz, Clemens, and JRogers. It’s not pretty. 

As stated, the arms are there. Manning & Mize, Skubal, F.Perez, BBurroughs, Funkhouser, Faedo...I’m confident we’ve got some depth here to build a rotation and I’m sure a guy or two ends up as pen depth. 

But yeah, this is what makes this deadline so important for this team. Boyd and Greene need to bring in a high end bat, or at least a few top 60 types. They have no one to build the lineup around at this moment. Avila gets a ton of flack for Verlander and JD trades that I don’t believe are warranted. He was tearing down, and the market wasn’t there for either. But his big mistake was not dealing Fulmer when he could have. Who knows what was offered, but it only made sense to move him for best offer. 

If I were the Tigers I'd go after all these guys and maybe get something out of it.  I think all of these guys could be had cheap.

Aguilar, Duvall, Russell, Winkler, Lamb, Freeland, Brinson, Bird, Kang, Pint.  Would have said Smyly and Allen as well if they hadn't already gotten picked up. Whoever Houston's #10 hitting prospect is, because I'm sure he is blocked by 3 guys and would still be better than the Tigers #2.  Just throw it all against the wall and see what sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

As Anthony Fenech reported in the Detroit Free Press on Sunday, the Tigers failed to capitalize on right-hander Michael Fulmer's trade value a few years back. Fulmer, the 2016 Rookie of the Year, has since seen his stock crater due to performance and injury (he's out for the year due to Tommy John surgery.) There was a time, however, when Fulmer had enough value to bring back in a trade Javier Baez or Alex Bregman, two of the best players in baseball these days:

Two seasons ago, they were aggressively approached about right-hander Michael Fulmer, who was coming off an AL Rookie of the Year Award in 2016 and was the Tigers' All-Star representative in 2017. In what looms as the biggest mistake of their rebuilding process, the team rebuffed an offer for Fulmer involving two young players who are now among the best in baseball: According to multiple persons with knowledge of the talks, the Cubs offered shortstop Javier Baez as part of a three-player package and the Astros offered third baseman Alex Bregman for Fulmer and lefty reliever Justin Wilson.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sternes said:

As Anthony Fenech reported in the Detroit Free Press on Sunday, the Tigers failed to capitalize on right-hander Michael Fulmer's trade value a few years back. Fulmer, the 2016 Rookie of the Year, has since seen his stock crater due to performance and injury (he's out for the year due to Tommy John surgery.) There was a time, however, when Fulmer had enough value to bring back in a trade Javier Baez or Alex Bregman, two of the best players in baseball these days:

Two seasons ago, they were aggressively approached about right-hander Michael Fulmer, who was coming off an AL Rookie of the Year Award in 2016 and was the Tigers' All-Star representative in 2017. In what looms as the biggest mistake of their rebuilding process, the team rebuffed an offer for Fulmer involving two young players who are now among the best in baseball: According to multiple persons with knowledge of the talks, the Cubs offered shortstop Javier Baez as part of a three-player package and the Astros offered third baseman Alex Bregman for Fulmer and lefty reliever Justin Wilson.

tenor.gif

Bull.   It was known Detroit wanted Torres from the Yanks at that time - that means they would have accepted Bregman. 

8 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Bull.   It was known Detroit wanted Torres from the Yanks at that time - that means they would have accepted Bregman. 

giphy.gif

How do you Avila didn't decline ALL offers for Fulmer?  How do you know the Yankees offered Torres?  How do you know if they even valued the playrers the same way?  Is there a good reason not to believe this story?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...