Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

I looked but didn't see a thread for him yet. So, starting one now with a RW blurb from a few minutes ago.  

According to ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques, Bills third-round RB Devin Singletary received "a ton" first-team reps during Sunday's practice.

It may not mean anything as the Bills seem to be easing in veterans LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore. But with Gore nearing the finish line (this will be his 15th season in the league) and McCoy at risk of being cut coming off last year's disappointment, we can't rule out the possibility of Singletary emerging as the Bills' starter. The Florida Atlantic product hurt his stock by underperforming at the Combine, but fantasy football is all about opportunity and Singletary should have a chance to contribute right away in a run-heavy Bills offense.

Jul 28, 2019, 11:50 AM ET

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Devin Singletary might be out of the league before Gore retires.

I know his athletic numbers look pedestrian.  But take a look at his scouting report.  from https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-rankings?page=1 He was Thor Nystroms # 3 RB

Posted Images

IMO he will definitely be the starter, it's just a question of when. Week 1 would not surprise me. I wouldn't expect much this year at least, but could well be worth a late pick/purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Athletic reports Bills third-round RB Devin Singletary has earned a "steady amount of opportunities" with the first-team offense.

Per Matthew Fairburn and Joe Buscaglia, Singletary has "made a habit of busting a big play." Singletary has also shown well in the passing game, and "made good defenders look foolish in the open field on the way to significant gains." Speaking Tuesday, LeSean McCoy said he had been told he remains "the guy" in the Bills' backfield, but Singletary is banging down the door to early-season opportunities.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 6, 2019, 4:50 PM ET
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 12:46 AM, CABLE87 said:

It's crazy how much this guy is being slept on

 

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

The price is nuts low for a talented rookie RB with opportunity.  

Honestly. His ADP is still somehow in the middle of round 11 (11.06). One spot behind him is Kalen Ballage. I think those two could be the biggest risers on draft boards between now and the heart of draft season, with Singletary likely presenting the more attractive ceiling. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

He's really small. 5'7 203.700 plus carries in college. Haven't we been down this road before with these types of smallish RBs? What am I missing?

 

That could be why he's still flying way under the radar.  People see his size and write him off as a committee or 3rd down back at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bear in mind when considering any Bills back: Allen refuses to check down to his RBs.  Maybe that changes this year, but it’s something to consider if you’re in a PPR league.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Just bear in mind when considering any Bills back: Allen refuses to check down to his RBs.  Maybe that changes this year, but it’s something to consider if you’re in a PPR league.

 

This is absolutely true, it would benefit Allen and the Bills to start doing this though, he’s always going for the big play but needs to take what the opposing defence give him. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bam327 said:

MJD was 5’7 210 at the combine. 

Yeah, but Jones-Drew is more of an anomaly as most running backs that size end up being part-time backs in a committee at best or 3rd down specialists.  Phillip Lindsay of Denver is another exception to the rule, though, and he is about 5'8", 190 lbs.  I'll admit, he really surprised me last year as he turned out to be a workhorse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Yeah, but Jones-Drew is more of an anomaly as most running backs that size end up being part-time backs in a committee at best or 3rd down specialists.  Phillip Lindsay of Denver is another exception to the rule, though, and he is about 5'8", 190 lbs.  I'll admit, he really surprised me last year as he turned out to be a workhorse.

I just don’t think Singletary should be discounted due to his size.  He has some old dinosaurs ahead of him that have been ridden hard and put away wet. I am going to stop talking about him and I hope he stays at his current adp

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bam327 said:

 

I just don’t think Singletary should be discounted due to his size.  He has some old dinosaurs ahead of him that have been ridden hard and put away wet. I am going to stop talking about him and I hope he stays at his current adp

I got him in the second to last round of a 12 team, PPR draft with 8 man benches to give you an idea of how low he's still valued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

He's really small. 5'7 203.700 plus carries in college. Haven't we been down this road before with these types of smallish RBs? What am I missing?

 

source.gif

5'5 or 6 (depending on who you ask), 180; one of the most prolific Bears rushers, receivers AND passers.

Edited by Boudewijn
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, OrangeCrush said:

He's really small. 5'7 203.700 plus carries in college. Haven't we been down this road before with these types of smallish RBs? What am I missing?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:55 PM, bam327 said:

MJD was 5’7 210 at the combine. 

On 8/7/2019 at 8:59 PM, sjm76 said:

Yeah, but Jones-Drew is more of an anomaly as most running backs that size end up being part-time backs in a committee at best or 3rd down specialists.  Phillip Lindsay of Denver is another exception to the rule, though, and he is about 5'8", 190 lbs.  I'll admit, he really surprised me last year as he turned out to be a workhorse.


Here's another guy who measured at 5'7 and 203 lbs...many people think he was a fairly decent player:

giphy.gif

Notes from an actual scouting report Gil Brandt wrote on Sanders for Dallas:
Sanders measured up at 5-foot-7 5/8, 203 pounds
https://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-recall-barry-sanders/

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corleone said:


Here's another guy who measured at 5'7 and 203 lbs...many people think he was a fairly decent player:

giphy.gif

Notes from an actual scouting report Gil Brandt wrote on Sanders for Dallas:
Sanders measured up at 5-foot-7 5/8, 203 pounds
https://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-recall-barry-sanders/

 

Proceeds to post highlight of arguably the best RB in history.  Barry is the exception, not the rule.  Size is still a concern for 99% of NFL players.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

 

Proceeds to post highlight of arguably the best RB in history.  Barry is the exception, not the rule.  Size is still a concern for 99% of NFL players.

Nobody in the world (even Singletary himself) thinks he'll be as good as Sanders was. He won't be even close. But the point is that saying Singletary can't succeed because of his size ignores history in a reverse manner. Yes, size can hold back players (and coaching staffs that don't/can't adjust their thinking). But someone at pretty much the exact same size as Singletary managed to be the best RB in history. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...