NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Devin Singletary might be out of the league before Gore retires.

I know his athletic numbers look pedestrian.  But take a look at his scouting report.  from https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-rankings?page=1 He was Thor Nystroms # 3 RB

Posted Images

11 hours ago, ShowStopper said:

His combine numbers were pedestrian! He’s a JAG... God people swear they know talent on here lol. 

The other thing to consider is that, in most competitive leagues, his 98 total yards on 9 touches is only good for 5 points because of his s---y bench press and 40 time . . .

Edited by Bastardo!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

My positive evaluation of Singletary was a result of watching his game film, which IMHO over-rid his poor "metrics".

The kid can play football.

Your response when you "quoted" and replied to my above post:

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, StevieStats said:

The flaw of this is you are watching him play against college talent, and not even a power conference. How many of those guys he face going to be in the NFL? Almost none.

Gaudy numbers vs poor competition. Poor measurables, slow and undersized usually don't mix well.

While only one game...in limited duty vs the NYJ: 4 rushes for 70yds (17.5/carry) + 5 reception for 28yds = 14.8pts in PPR

Season is a marathon, and the jury is certainly still out but my "humble opinion" and "eye test" are feeling validated up to this point B) and aside from injury, Singletary usage should definitely be trending up.

Maybe you should have just rolled with this opinion ;)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, StevieStats said:

Not a fan of him. But I could be wrong.

:ph34r:

11 hours ago, ShowStopper said:

His combine numbers were pedestrian! He’s a JAG... God people swear they know talent on here lol. 

So guys like AB, Anquan Boldin, and Arian Foster were talent-less JAGs because they had pedestrian combine numbers?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Your response when you "quoted" and replied to my above post:

While only one game...in limited duty vs the NYJ: 4 rushes for 70yds (17.5/carry) + 5 reception for 28yds = 14.8pts in PPR

Season is a marathon, and the jury is certainly still out but my "humble opinion" and "eye test" are feeling validated up to this point B) and aside from injury, Singletary usage should definitely be trending up.

Maybe you should have just rolled with this opinion ;)

:ph34r:

Haha! I love it!

How much of the game you watch? How much of his play you see?

They didn't start running until late in the 3rd after CJ Mosley was injured. Has wiggle made some guys miss, but on his runs we are talking wide open gaping holes with no one there. 

On display: vision and wiggle... But also lack of a higher gear and chased down easily, and a couple really bad drops in his bread basket (early on I'll call it debut nerves)... Also on display was Allen as the goaline option running it it.

Most concerning thing here is complete abandonment of the run with a pass heavy offense utilizing Beasley as an extension of the run game.

He's got the opportunity, but lack of goal line opp (too early to call), and lack of higher gear, leaves me saying he's not a feature back and at best is an RB2 if it all comes together.

His description as an explosive back is still incorrect. Plan accordingly.

11 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Has wiggle made some guys miss

On display: vision and wiggle... But also lack of a higher gear

This was apparent in film study, and his "vision/wiggle" combo are this guys best traits, not long speed. Nothing new here...

but on his runs we are talking wide open gaping holes with no one there. 

So, now we're holding his OL's success against him if he produces :mellow: *I get you are painting the, "anyone could have run through that hole picture," and I do realize it doesn't afford a good "pure talent" evaluation opportunity.

Has wiggle made some guys miss

On display: vision and wiggle...

He's got the opportunity

The 1st two points (on display in film study) + that 3rd point are why I drafted him at 2:07 in my Rook Dynasty Draft back on June 7th, regardless of the poor evaluations. *this guy's jump cuts/side steps are straight up nasty ankle breakers.

12 hours ago, StevieStats said:

His description as an explosive back is still incorrect.

Depends on what metric you use to define "explosive." Many look to the 40 time, then to the broad and vertical jumps, and finally the cone/shuttle drills (short area speed/change of direction.) While Singletary's 40 (and to a lessor extent the cone/shuttle drills) were poor compared to other RBs, his broad and vertical jumps compared favorably to many of the other combine RBs, and there is 1 more metric (which IMHO may be even more relevant to success on the football field), the 10yd split. While I do not have that official split, I have read reports that Singletary's 10yd split is fabulous.

Also on display was Allen as the goaline option running it it.

Most concerning thing here is complete abandonment of the run with a pass heavy offense utilizing Beasley as an extension of the run game.

but lack of goal line opp (too early to call)

The question marks/negative points regarding the overall volume of the running game/goal line opps in Buffalo were a known heading into the season, and are irrelevant when questioning Singletary's overall "talent." *the obvious plus in dynasty potential with that backfield was also a known factor but again, not relevant to this topic of "talent."

Has wiggle made some guys miss, but on his runs we are talking wide open gaping holes with no one there. 

On display: vision and wiggle...

He's got the opportunity,

and at best is an RB2 if it all comes together.

All those points seem to suggest he has talent, has the opportunity, plays behind an OL that wont limit him, and...……...an RB2 finish (top 24) would certainly equate to him being worthy of being drafted on the merit of his film, instead of focusing on this poor metrics. He is available and has the opportunity, so we shall see.

I could certainly be wrong but IMHO the reasons were there to draft him based on his film and obvious opportunity.

Appreciate the civil response B) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FollowTheLeader said:

This was apparent in film study, and his "vision/wiggle" combo are this guys best traits, not long speed. Nothing new here...

So, now we're holding his OL's success against him if he produces :mellow: *I get you are painting the, "anyone could have run through that hole picture," and I do realize it doesn't afford a good "pure talent" evaluation opportunity.

The 1st two points (on display in film study) + that 3rd point are why I drafted him at 2:07 in my Rook Dynasty Draft back on June 7th, regardless of the poor evaluations. *this guy's jump cuts/side steps are straight up nasty ankle breakers.

Depends on what metric you use to define "explosive." Many look to the 40 time, then to the broad and vertical jumps, and finally the cone/shuttle drills (short area speed/change of direction.) While Singletary's 40 (and to a lessor extent the cone/shuttle drills) were poor compared to other RBs, his broad and vertical jumps compared favorably to many of the other combine RBs, and there is 1 more metric (which IMHO may be even more relevant to success on the football field), the 10yd split. While I do not have that official split, I have read reports that Singletary's 10yd split is fabulous.

The question marks/negative points regarding the overall volume of the running game/goal line opps in Buffalo were a known heading into the season, and are irrelevant when questioning Singletary's overall "talent." *the obvious plus in dynasty potential with that backfield was also a known factor but again, not relevant to this topic of "talent."

All those points seem to suggest he has talent, has the opportunity, plays behind an OL that wont limit him, and...……...an RB2 finish (top 24) would certainly equate to him being worthy of being drafted on the merit of his film, instead of focusing on this poor metrics. He is available and has the opportunity, so we shall see.

I could certainly be wrong but IMHO the reasons were there to draft him based on his film and obvious opportunity.

Appreciate the civil response B) 

You're wrong here. His broad was horrible. His 40, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone, broad jump were all terrible and at the bottom of RB and even LBs. His vert was mediocre. His shuttle and 3 cone were actually worse than Tom Brady if you can believe that. I posted the numvers previously.

It doesn't mean he can't succeed, but the odds are stacked against him -- or maybe he just had a bad day. Obviously that's my take before the season with little to go on, and as we see him in live game action that could change. But Sunday did nothing to shake my lack of faith in his "explosiveness" ability.

We seem to be in tune with what his upside is if he pans out. RB2 at best, not a feature back.

I am still  pessimistic on his season long outlook, that's not changing in 4 carries. Especially considering the Bills disregard for the run game on Sunday.

Also, I never once used his o-line success against him, just stating the obvious that the Jets defense severely missed Mosley and after he was injured some wide open holes opened up anyone could run through, and he was chased down fairly easily in open field. But even on those 4 carries Singletary's lack of burst/speed cost him a TD, on his carry that went inside the 5 he had wide open field and only 1 saftey to beat but he had to cut back inside because he couldn't outrun a corner behind the play, he cut back in and ran right into the lone safety, rather than heading to the pylon -- things line that cap his fantasy appeal and separate him from the true RB1s IMO.

I'd give him a boost in PPR leagues though. This team had zero interest running the ball.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

His 40, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone were all terrible and at the bottom of RB and even LBs.

I stated his 40, shuttle and cone were all poor. *so no issue/disagreement there, correct (see below):

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

While Singletary's 40 (and to a lessor extent the cone/shuttle drills) were poor compared to other RBs

You're wrong here. His broad was horrible.  His vert was mediocre.

I am not entirely ;) wrong, as I stated:

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

his broad and vertical jumps compared favorably to many of the other combine RBs, and there is 1 more metric (which IMHO may be even more relevant to success on the football field), the 10yd split. While I do not have that official split, I have read reports that Singletary's 10yd split is fabulous.

You can find RBs rated higher overall by the pundits, who scored comparatively to Singletary in one or both of those ^ previously mentioned metrics:

Singletary Vertical Jump = 35"

*DMontgomery = 28" *RArmstead = 30" *DHenderson = 33" *TWilliams = 33" *AMattison = 35" *DWilliams = 36" *MSanders = 36" *DHarris = 37" *a few right in line, and a few worse than DS, and the fact his Vetical was better than a few of those "explosive"

Singletary Broad Jump = 115"

*RArmstead = 114" *DMontgomery = 121" *DHenderson = 121" *DHarris = 121" *definitely a larger disparity here beyond Armstead, so point taken :thumbs-up:

Although I've come across no metrics to provide regarding his 10yd split, the media reports are out there, that Singletary's is very good :shrug: and this is a valid metric of "explosion"

Based on your earlier comments (paraphrase: Singletary should have never been drafted on the merits of film, as his metrics were so poor) that when compared to the following quote, you make it sound as if an RB2 isn't worth drafting (at the appropriate slot of course) and an RB2 isn't a talented RB:

We seem to be in tune with what his upside is if he pans out. RB2 at best, not a feature back.

I'd give him a boost in PPR leagues though.

If he ends up in the top 24, I'd venture to say he is "talented" and a "success" B) and worthy of being drafted based on his film.

Yet, as you've stated, volume/game script will be key. *as he appears to already have the opportunity [Gore(?)], I see this volume/game script as being his biggest hurdle, not his talents.)

Only week 1, with 15 more weeks to go but currently sitting at #15 in PPR for RBs.

We shall see :cheers:

Edited by FollowTheLeader
On 9/8/2019 at 11:54 PM, ShowStopper said:

And how many fantasy points are those combine numbers good for? Can you refresh my memory? 

• Like 1

I know his athletic numbers look pedestrian.  But take a look at his scouting report.  from https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-rankings?page=1

He was Thor Nystroms # 3 RB prospect of the draft.  I didn't paste the entire article, but some highlights.  He showed some nice pass catching ability in game 1 and was on the field the majority of the snaps, including come from behind receiving back work.  He's a upside stash if you ask me.  The takeaway from the GM's comments this offseason, was he kept making plays and drawing attention to himself by his play.  McCoy still has it (he did very well in KC on a short week just learning the playbook).  They didn't need to get rid of McCoy financially as the Bills have tons of cap room, but they got rid of him to give Singletary more opportunities. Singletary may not be the elite home run hitter because of his lack of athletic attributes, but he'll be productive because he has other outstanding attributes.  I know they aren't in the same category size wise, but Arian Foster was another poor testing athelete, who had a great career. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/arian-foster/   

"He’s short, he’s skinny, he comes from Conference USA, he isn’t very fast, and he's a 20th-percentile athlete — what isn’t to love?!

In three seasons, over 714 carries, Motor averaged 6.0 YPC. He ran for 4,287 yards and 66 TD (!!!) while posting a 51-397-1 line as a receiver. Despite his lack of foot speed, and despite his lack of muscle. They don’t have a test in Indianapolis for how hard it is to get you onto the ground. If they did, Motor and David Montgomery would have lapped the field.

Montgomery does it more with power than agility, though he also possesses the latter. Motor does it with agility, though he also possesses some power. Each have absurd balance. Sometimes, with Motor, the only way you can get the play to end is by penning him in near the sideline without an escape route, so that he has to step out and surrender himself.

What Singletary lacks in foot speed he more than makes up for with stupid foot quickness.

I’m talking unfair shake, even at high speeds, and especially in precarious phone booth situations. Motor is the rare bird who can score a touchdown in a scenario where two free defenders have him dead-to-rights on his side of the line of scrimmage post-snap. It’s like watching an old episode of BATMAN, where bad guys surround the hero one minute and the next (*Bam!* *Whack!*) they're splayed around the room unconscious.

Do I care that he’s undersized and slow? Sure. I care to the extent that I rank Motor behind Montgomery and Jacobs. But I can’t go lower than this. I’m sorry. The players in the past five classes I think of when I think of Motor are Devonta Freeman and Dalvin Cook, two fellow undersized Floridians who were also below average athletes. Like Motor, Freeman and Cook were full-spectrum-vision slashers with catch-the-chicken agility in close quarters who shrunk like Ant Man through closing portals as wooly mammoths fought for leverage above.

Just as Motor’s plus-plus agility and vision help offset his lack of deep speed, his Walter-White-as-Heisenberg determination, assuredness and fearlessness with the ball in his hands offset his lack of standing-still-in-street-clothes power. You aren’t taking Motor down with an arm tackle. He wasn’t tackled on first contact, per PFF, on 57.2% of his touches, good for No. 2 in the class. That’s right: This little string bean is not only elite-elite at making you miss, but he was also elite at breaking tackles in college.

Motor is also a skilled receiver — you’ll have to return to 2017 to see it, as FAU’s offense lost all its creative chutzpah this past season when Lane Kiffin was replaced by Charlie Weis’ 24-year-old son and receiving was yanked from Motor’s list of things to do — and a downright violent pass blocker who is looking to light you up.

I don’t buy that Singletary is a boom-or-bust prospect, because guys who are difficult to touch and more difficult to tackle don’t often fail. SPARQ score couldn't quantify Dalvin Cook or Devonta Freeman’s inane ability to create doubt in defender’s minds. Guys like this play faster and bigger than they are on the football field because they force opponents to play slower and smaller than they are. If you’re saying I can get Motor Singletary in late Round 3, I’ve already got a card written out with his name on it."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Still No. 2 on paper

Coach Sean McDermott stated Wednesday that Frank Gore remains the team's top running back on the depth chart with Singletary as the No. 2, Chris Brown of the Bills' official site reports. "Frank Gore and then we bring in Devin [Singletary] and then we bring in TJ [Yeldon]," McDermott said, when asked about the team's starting running back.

35 minutes ago, Krustyburger said:
Still No. 2 on paper

Coach Sean McDermott stated Wednesday that Frank Gore remains the team's top running back on the depth chart with Singletary as the No. 2, Chris Brown of the Bills' official site reports. "Frank Gore and then we bring in Devin [Singletary] and then we bring in TJ [Yeldon]," McDermott said, when asked about the team's starting running back.

didn't singletary get like 2/3 of the snaps or something like that? 

6 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

didn't singletary get like 2/3 of the snaps or something like that? 

He played 48 out of 69 snaps. Roughly70%, so im not buying that he won't play many snaps. Gore probably is the starter and will get the 1st carry, but I foresee the bills attacking the Giants weak passing game, so Singletary has a high chance to see many targets. I am starting him with confidence this week.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

He played 48 out of 69 snaps. Roughly70%, so im not buying that he won't play many snaps. Gore probably is the starter and will get the 1st carry, but I foresee the bills attacking the Giants weak passing game, so Singletary has a high chance to see many targets. I am starting him with confidence this week.

I think last week Singletary had the first carry as well. I think Gore is only the starter in name, but the carries and snap count went to Singletary in game 1. Who knows how it will play out going forward.

32 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Stud.

Buy low while you can.

That's exactly what i did. I don't get this small and slow stuff. He looks rather explosive on film and has crazy wiggle in his game much like a young Shady. The 70% snap rate coming off the bench puts him in line to take over here as the workhorse back in this offense. He also showed plenty of hands catching the ball out of the backfield. I think Gore is starting just to take pressure off the kid but he's a corpse at this point of his career. Singletary is actually very lucky to have Gore as a mentor. Both South Florida kids and similar in stature. Great things ahead for this kid. Excited to have him on my squad.

• Like 3