NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josiah Gray - RHP - Dodgers

Cmilne23

Surprised to see he didn’t have a thread.  Been moving up lists pretty steadily this year.  Career 2.26 ERA in minors so far in 155 IP, but more impressive is the 4.5 K:BB ratio.  Young arms generally don’t have such command.  Just promoted to AA, hasn’t missed a beat yet;

* Josiah Gray’s second Double-A start: 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 5 K 93 pitches, 63 strikes After allowing two unearned runs in the first inning, Gray didn’t allow a base runner after the second inning, and retired the last 16 batters he faced.

* Top 5 on most recent Dodgers mid season lists.  Could be a trade piece at the deadline, but seems to be pretty firmly entrenched now as Dodgers second best pitching prospect behind Dustin May. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

No post here in years! But I guess with no 2020, whatever.

Was scratched from his start in OkC today.  Could be called up, hurt, sick, or traded. I'm going to lean the first if I had to guess, sick 2nd, injured 3, traded 4.

I listened to Dave Roberts post game interview and they asked about Josiah getting pulled.. he said something along the lines of “we were considering him as an option but that will have to be put on the shelf for a little here”. The ominous sound to me right off the bat was Covid.. but definitely could be an injury. 

Either way, as long as it isn’t anything long term, it definitely sounds like he could be very close to getting the call. 

• 1 month later...

Healthy again and seems to be in consideration for a call up in the near future once he gets built up. How does he compare to guys that are close to the majors like Baz and Hunter Greene? Similar upside? 

13 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

Healthy again and seems to be in consideration for a call up in the near future once he gets built up. How does he compare to guys that are close to the majors like Baz and Hunter Greene? Similar upside? 

I would prefer both Baz and Greene long-term. The trade deadline is going to be more telling if he really is coming up. He was only up to like 2 or 3 innings and they wanted at least 5.

40 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I would prefer both Baz and Greene long-term. The trade deadline is going to be more telling if he really is coming up. He was only up to like 2 or 3 innings and they wanted at least 5.

He pitched 4 innings/53 pitches in his last outing. I think should be up after 1 or 2 more starts.

2 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

He pitched 4 innings/53 pitches in his last outing. I think should be up after 1 or 2 more starts.

Just saw he pitched on the 10th, he is closer then I anticipated and just picked him up.Still prefer Baz, but im curious if Greene is sustainable as a starter. ALready had TJ, but that fastball is moist.

• Like 1

The Dodgers make it so much more complicated speculating on a guy like this, I need someone to replace Mize but don't want to pull the trigger just yet. I could see the Dodgers trading for another Starter before giving Gray a shot or relegating him to relief/dodgeritis stints

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

chance he's coming up to start in place of Kershaw. anyone making the add in redrafts?

Took the plunge just now. Rookie starting pitcher prospects are a bit risky but I gravitate towards the ones with good control and Gray has maintained a bb/9 rate under 3 at every stop. I won’t start him in his debut since he’ll be on a limited pitch count making it a high risk, low reward option, but hopefully he can build on it and be an asset after.

Edited by meh2

His highest BB/9 so far in his career is 2.94 from rookie ball in 2018, 1.18 in 15.2 innings so far in the PCL this year. That is what makes me think he will have a chance for early success. Don't think he'll be a huge K guy in the Majors, but he could get a K per inning which is fine. 

3 hours ago, octapuss said:

Can this guy make an immediate impact in 12 team mixed? 

Only if you don't mind "starters" who only go 3-4 innings at a time. Even if the Dodgers do give him a regular spot in their rotation (which seems unlikely), do you really think Hes going to be allowed to go over 80 pitches, or face any lineups more than twice?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Brujan said:

Regular starter going forward with the nats?

reportedly he and keibert will start in aaa, but 'aren't far off'...but not 100% settled yet