NBC Sports Edge Forums

Handcuff/Flyers RB Talk 2019

As I'm in one league where we have 8 bench spots (see sig), I'm always that guy who tries to load on as many RB as possible. Over the last years we saw lots of players that could just win you your league and they were all flyers - Freeman, Johnson, Kamara, Conner, etc.

So let's discuss all the handcuffs and flyers. These are the names I'm looking at:

Damien Harris - ADP ~150, RB53
Backup to injured Sony Michel. Could get a prominent role when SM misses games in a team that is destined to run more. He could see some time even if SM is active.

Latavius Murray -  ADP ~90, RB33
Yes, we could debate that this is neither a flyer nor a handcuff really. He probably is just a the minor part in a RBBC that heavily leans on Kamara. But still, this is in my eyes the best type of handcuff. Sure you have to pay a higher price for him than for example Chase Edmunds, but he is going to provide you points no matter what happens to Kamara. If something should happen to Kamara he will be the RB1 on one of the leagues best offenses. (His last year was a nice example for that, but the Saints are another caliber than the Vikings)

Carlos Hyde - ADP ~150, RB50
Oh yes, this forums favorite topic to lose its manners, the backfield around Damien Williams. I guess everybody knows how Reid only uses one RB and how high powered that offense is. I guess Hyde's ADP will rise with the recent injury news of DW. Something to monitor of corse, but I have a feeling that if he starts the season and plays well DW will not get his job back.

Chase Edmonds - ADP ~200, RB 65
BU of a once flyer and league winner itsel - David Johnson. Besides being just a BU I also think he will provide some scoring while DJ is active. The want to run 70 plays per game, DJ alone can't do this, so Edmonds will have his role in that offense - a small one, but still. He can provide you with some Flex or RB2 play in bye weeks and if something would happen to DJ, I see him as a rock solid RB2.

Alexander Mattison - ADP ~230, RB71
BU to Dalvin Cook. If Cook continues to be injured, he could have a solid workshare in a team that just upgraded their O-Line and wants to run more.

Justin Jackson - ADP ~200, RB66
Ahhh yes...another holdout. This year's version of James Conner? Not really, but still. I don't think Gordon will hold out the whole season like Bell did, but every game he misses either by holdout or possible injury, JJ is the RB1 of a solid Chargers offense with a tremendous defense, which should lead to a lot of "game-management-run-play". 

Kalen Ballage - ADP ~155, RB52
Ohh what a buzz we hear about Ballage. He is getting lots of first team reps in camp jajajajaja. Although everybody in fantasy seems to love him, I don't. He would still play for the worst team in the league, RZ att will be rare.

Tony Pollard - ADP ~310, RB86
Zeke's BU. Great O-Line. If Elliott misses some games, he will have a great position. He can play WR, too. Maybe we could see him be involved in the passing game and some gadget plays while Zeke is active.

Darell Henderson - ADP ~120, RB43
This is a weird one. He is the BU to Gurley who seems to have some isses. He is a good pass catcher so he could be some kind of CoP/3rd Down guy when TG is active. Should something happen to TG I think it's going to be a timeshare between him and Brown. The Bears and Patriots showed how to stop the Rams offense last year and I don't think they will stay this potent. Still this will be one of the better offenses in the league, but I'm not that high on Henderson.

Ryquell Armstead starts camp on PUP list, which make me look to other options.

That's also how I would rank them. Hyde and Murray are optimal options if you want to go WR heavy at the start. I will try to land Mattison, JJ and maybe Pollard in the last few rounds to stash on my bench. If I get Dalvin Cook I probably will overpay for Mattison to make sure I get them both. Same goes for Johnson and maybe Kamara I guess. I'm not really a fan of taking my own handcuffs.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think Murray has stand alone value even without an injury to Kamara. The Saints historically have supported more than one fantasy RB for fantasy purposes. Murray is a guy who you can start as a flex play even with Kamara playing if you need too. If Kamara goes down then he probably turns into an every week starter for sure with top 12 upside each week. 

Justin Jackson is the clear cut winner for me. Gordon was already an injury risk before the holdout. 

Lat Murray shouldn't be on this list because he isn't Kamara's handcuff he is a seperate entity altogether sort of like Mark Ingram was in the Saints system. 

I like Ballage but so does everybody else. 

Devin Singletary

Justin Jackson

Alexander Mattison

Darwin Thompson

Probably the best backups to get

J Samuels and L Murray hold standalone value at the flex position imo

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1

Well, I’ll throw what I guess is a bold assessment.  I believe that Henderson will get enough workload to post FF RB2 numbers in a ppr league even if Gurley stays healthy all year.

It seems like the threshold for RB2 is right around 1000yds/8 TDs to 1100yds/6 TDs, give or take.

If Henderson can get 100 carries or more and around 45-50 catches +/- I think he can hit that threshold.  Right now LA has been using Henderson as their version of Kamara so far in practices and apparently he has responded well.  If Gurley is restricted to 14/15 carries per game as part of easing his workload, I think Henderson has a shot at it.  That would restrict Brown to ST work with maybe 2 carries a game.  I can see Henderson turning that kind of workload into 8 or more TDs.

That would put Henderson into the RB2 range while still allowing Gurley to finish as a midlevel RB1.

End of the bench flyers that I currently am enamored with (guys with some traits that could get them work and that you may be able to snag with your last couple of picks and flush if TC/PS reports are poor/noncommittal):

Dexter Williams

Darwin Thompson

Ryquell Armstead

Devine Ozigbo

Alex Barnes

Just now, K197040 said:

I'm surprised that Jamaal Williams never gets mentioned much in these discussions.

Jones has some injury history and when he's been out, Williams has put up good ff numbers. 

It makes me happy to take Jones with whatever injury risk he has, because Williams is barely getting looked at.    So......shut up?   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 months later...
Just now, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I predict gurley runs out of gas, and Darrell has a 2018 Damien Williams finish

What about brown though? He a jag although better at pass pro. I still think they split carries should something happen to gurley and the run blocking is bad in la regardless 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

What about brown though? He a jag although better at pass pro. I still think they split carries should something happen to gurley and the run blocking is bad in la regardless 

I think after what Henderson showed in gurley absence they have been grooming him even more to handle the keys to the Porsche.  He's gotten 11 carries last two games

My current top cuffs rankings are as followed:

latavious murray

jaylen samuels

tarik cohen

alex mattison

rashad penny

Darius guice

Darrel Henderson jr

1 minute ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I think after what Henderson showed in gurley absence they have been grooming him even more to handle the keys to the Porsche.  He's gotten 11 carries last two games

Garbage time With brown out though...still think it takes a gurley injury for him to get 15 touches

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

latavious murray

jaylen samuels

tarik cohen

alex mattison

rashad penny

Darius guice

Darrel Henderson jr

Cohen and no Pollard?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, affliction said:

Cohen and no Pollard?

I put priority over backups who have some value now...pollard would go up if zeke got hurt although I expect the cowboys would just pass more

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

I put priority over backups who have some value now...pollard would go up if zeke got hurt although I expect the cowboys would just pass more

Cohen is not a handcuff. If Montgomery got hurt Mike Davis would take all his touches and Cohen's roll would remain the same.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Cohen is not a handcuff. If Montgomery got hurt Mike Davis would take all his touches and Cohen's roll would remain the same.

Handcuffs and flyers...I was just attempting to rank those fringe waiver guys that might be available in 12 team leagues. Cohen was electric last year and may have been dropped...his role is more gameplan than injury

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Handcuffs and flyers...I was just attempting to rank those fringe waiver guys that might be available in 12 team leagues. Cohen was electric last year and may have been dropped...his role is more gameplan than injury

4 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

latavious murray

jaylen samuels

tarik cohen

alex mattison

rashad penny

Darius guice

Darrel Henderson jr

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Then why have Penny and Mattison on your list. They have zero value without an injury just like Pollard. Pollard should be a priority add over Henderson IMO

1 hour ago, yanksman said:

Fair enough...thought it would be more beneficial to lump these guys all together to help for bye weeks holds and stashed. Just my opinion though

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Then why have Penny and Mattison on your list. They have zero value without an injury just like Pollard. Pollard should be a priority add over Henderson IMO

Penny and mattison might eat into the starters touches more than pollard. Cowboys are intent to pass more than run

12 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Penny and mattison might eat into the starters touches more than pollard. Cowboys are intent to pass more than run

Yeah they might sometimes get 9-10 touches vs Pollards 3. Big deal, for all intents and purposes nobody is starting Penny, Mattison, or Pollard unless the guy in front of them goes down.

• Like 1

If I'm just ranking handcuffs, I care less about stand-alone value (unless it is RB2 stand-alone value) and more about chance of becoming starter and what they would be if they were the starter. Therefore, I think my current top-10 would be something like:

1) Latavius

2) Jamaal Williams

3) Mattison

4) Penny

5) Jaylen Samuels

6) Henderson

7) Pollard

😎 Armstead

9) Darrel Williams

10) Bonnofon

• Thanks 1