NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trent Grisham 2019 Outlook

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's had a total of 20 ABs.  6 hits (including a double and HR).  I don't know how you're coming to the conclusion that he's playing like a bench warmer based on such a limited sample size in which he

On pace for 162 RBI's! Batting average seems suspect though..

Kent Clark with glasses, Trent Grisham without. Let's hope Yahoo doesn't add another Trent after everyone adds Clark

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:
Hitting .300 with 26 HR/12 SB between AA & AAA this season, with almost as many BB as Ks

With Aguilar traded, will Braun move to 1B and Grisham start in LF? Not sure, but this could definitely be a productive bat.

Love the fact that he has a great eye at the dish. Very athletic as well. Could be an interesting guy to watch down the stretch.

• Like 2

And I was all ready to complain that he wasn't in Yahoo's database when the thread originally popped up.  Thanks to the people that pointed out it was Clark.  Well, hopefully he doesn't end up sucking and I end up regretting the thank yous. 😀

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

With all this "Clark" "Grisham" talk, does anybody know the backstory for why he completely changed his name?

"My mom raised me growing up by herself so it was always in the plans when I turned 18 to change my name," Grisham said. "We just made it a priority this off-season, got all the paperwork and went to court and did all that stuff. It was a real priority for me for that side of the family.

"Went through it, changed my name, mom was really happy, that whole side of the family was really happy."

Props to his Mom.  Bet she’s going to be super excited seeing him debut.

• Thanks 1

Just obliterating AAA since he arrived (34G/134AB) to the tune of-- .381/.471/.776 which is a 1.247 OPS

I don't think they can call him up in the beginning of Aug to play occasionally? They need a productive bat and he should get a chance to run with a job!

"Manager Craig Counsell said Grisham will be called up from Triple-A San Antonio to start Thursday at Oakland, Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Grisham's upcoming promotion was reported earlier Wednesday to be coming "soon," but this is the first official word from the team. It's not clear which outfield position the 22-year-old will play or where he'll be stationed in the lineup. The Brewers don't appear to have any outfield openings on the surface, but Ryan Braun will attempt to re-acclimate to first base following the trade of Jesus Aguilar, potentially creating opportunities for one of the team's top prospects. Grisham is coming off an impressive stretch at Triple-A with a .381/.471/.776 slash line and 13 home runs in 34 games, and he capped off the run by hitting for the cycle Tuesday."

are there any comparable call-ups?  

Just not that often that a guy crushing like this falls under everyone's radar as a relatively unknown (i see he jumped to #88 after not being ranked on prospectslive's list)

just wondering if there has been a similar call-up in recent years.

I picked him up to catch lightning in the bottle, but not setting expectations too high.

31 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Just not that often that a guy crushing like this falls under everyone's radar as a relatively unknown (i see he jumped to #88 after not being ranked on prospectslive's list)

I picked him up to catch lightning in the bottle, but not setting expectations too high.

jeff mcneil wasn't a ranked prospect last season, was barely known by fantasy managers, and raked when called up.

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying Shelley V's takes. Her take below along with James Anderson's ranking of him (#75) helped me proactively pick him up last week in my dynasty. IMHO he's a must add in dynasty, solid add in 5 OF, and reasonable gamble in 3 OF. If you play OPS or OBP, his value goes way up.

Trent Grisham (MIL AAA) OF Age 22 ETA 2020

The Brewers used their first-round pick of the 2015 draft on Trent Grisham, one of the best prep players in the draft class.  He was assigned to the AZL right after being drafted and quickly moved to Low A. He has never been known for his batting average, his highest average is .233 last year, so to see Grisham hitting .254 in AA is very encouraging.  His walk percentage has always been double digits but he has decreased his strikeout rate to 17%. Grisham has, it seems, been selling out for a bit more power.

He used to have an all fields approach but his pull percentage has increased from around 30% to almost 50%.  With all the gains Grisham has made, the Brewers decided to promote him to AAA this past week. Prior to this season, I had written Grisham off but I back in. If you play in an OBP, Grisham is a must pick up prospect, if he is available on the waiver wire.

-https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-stash-list-intriguing-profiles/

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

the last few years guys like Mitch Haniger, Rhys Hoskins, Jeff McNeil, Yordan Alvarez, Oscar Mercado, Lourdes Gurriel off the top of my head. 

How a guy is actually playing vs some arbitrary rank is far more important to me. 

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Not in terms of pedigree, but in terms of AAA numbers, he has a similar counting stats to hiura except with much better plate discipline, though they both play in Colorado springs (?). Hiura came up, still has an atrocious 18% swstr but is still mashing.

McNeil probably isn't a good comparison because McNeil was never a big prospect to begin with. Clark was drafted as a prep bat in the teens of the first round back in 2015 I believe. Had a great debut that season and was seen at the time as a potential draft steal since his hit tool seemingly was very developed. During his first full season on and later however the numbers dropped and most people questioned what happened. He always had the elite intangible tools like bat speed and was seemingly a great hitter. Don't know what it was but it all clicked and everything that scouts were praising him for in 2015 and high school started reappearing again. He's always had the strong projectile tools I guess it just looks like they disappeared for a while.

I'm slightly biased since I was huge on him in prospect drafts a few years ago but I love his profile. It's awesome to see him remerge after his prospect star faded for a while and he seems like a post hype prospect/sleeper if there ever was one, as opposed to guys like deGrom/McNeil/2016 and 2017 Duvall that never had hype to begin with.

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

the last few years guys like Mitch Haniger, Rhys Hoskins, Jeff McNeil, Yordan Alvarez, Oscar Mercado, Lourdes Gurriel off the top of my head. 

How a guy is actually playing vs some arbitrary rank is far more important to me. 

I'd say Haniger/McNeil never had hype to begin with, they just grinded through the minors as older guys and just continued hitting and hit once in the majors. Hoskins was totally hyped and I don't think it's fair to say he came out of nowhere at all. Alvarez too, except he was lower on prospect lists due to (legitimate) defense concerns. Gurriel was a top international signee and it just took a bit for him to put it together. None of these guys ever had immense prospect hype, had their star fade, and then reemerge with hype before his debut like Clark is

Also I just realized I was subliminally saying Clark the whole time...everytime I say Clark I mean the same player as Trent Girsham.

Edited by Maxcd99
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yahoo has him listed correctly as Trent Grisham and has since I became aware of him a couple of days back.  There is no Trent Clark on Yahoo.

He was still Clark yesterday when I added him. Maybe it doesn't all update at once globally.

• Like 1