NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trent Grisham 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He sure needs something since this is just ridiculous.  We'll see what happens today I suppose, although I'm not optimistic given it's against a righty.

What did I miss? Grisham is a LHH. Considering he sat v. a couple LHP, isn’t it likely he’ll start v. RHP?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's had a total of 20 ABs.  6 hits (including a double and HR).  I don't know how you're coming to the conclusion that he's playing like a bench warmer based on such a limited sample size in which he

On pace for 162 RBI's! Batting average seems suspect though..

Kent Clark with glasses, Trent Grisham without. Let's hope Yahoo doesn't add another Trent after everyone adds Clark

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

What did I miss? Grisham is a LHH. Considering he sat v. a couple LHP, isn’t it likely he’ll start v. RHP?

Unless they give somebody a day off, there's no room for him to start regularly vs. RHP.  Braun, Cain, and Yelich in the OF with Thames at 1B.  The opening is vs. LHP since Thames sits then, but Counsell has chosen to start 2 catchers instead in both game vs. LHP so far.  Grisham has handled LHP just fine in his career, so either Counsell doesn't really want Grisham around or he's just an idiot.  Well, I guess the latter is true in either case...

48 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Unless they give somebody a day off, there's no room for him to start regularly vs. RHP.  Braun, Cain, and Yelich in the OF with Thames at 1B.  The opening is vs. LHP since Thames sits then, but Counsell has chosen to start 2 catchers instead in both game vs. LHP so far.  Grisham has handled LHP just fine in his career, so either Counsell doesn't really want Grisham around or he's just an idiot.  Well, I guess the latter is true in either case...

Well yeah I guess that makes sense, but looking at what’s actually happened so far, he got the start v. HBailey (RHP), sat v. Quintana (LHP) & CHamels (LHP). 

So I think it stands to reason that he was benched last two days against LHP. I’m betting he’ll start today and with at least 6 straight RHP they’ll be facing, Grisham will be in a rotation (start at least 4?) until they see what they have in him. 

Grisham got the start against the RHP on coincidence because Cain got the breather for that one. Cain doesn't need that many days off. 

Grisham is likely there to serve notice to some of the struggling lineup guys - if the offense doesn't start clicking soon, I think that playing time will ramp up. I'm holding for now.

1 hour ago, KrispySteve423 said:

Grisham got the start against the RHP on coincidence because Cain got the breather for that one. Cain doesn't need that many days off. 

Grisham is likely there to serve notice to some of the struggling lineup guys - if the offense doesn't start clicking soon, I think that playing time will ramp up. I'm holding for now.

Completely disregard what I said 😂

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, KrispySteve423 said:

Completely disregard what I said 😂

Cain and Braun both sitting today. Kinda wish it was just one, so then he could sub for the other later. But CC has to get Gamel in there too of course lol. All still up in the air. 

It would be so much simpler, at least for another game or two, if he gave Grandal the break he needs.  I guess Counsell thinks he's just going to randomly break out of a multi-month slump without much in the way of any games off.

What makes his handling of Grisham all the more puzzling is not only is he actually starting today, but he's batting leadoff.  I know it's mainly because Cain isn't playing, but still, kind of random to put him at leadoff when he didn't care to play him the last two games even though he hits lefties.  Oh well. Hopefully he actually does something today regardless.

Listen, I don’t want to be falsely accused of not being novel, but don’t close the book on this guy yet. To me, and I’m going to stand firm on this one, he’s a rainmaker. There’s going to be reckoning, so listen to my brief and don’t write him off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
17 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

Listen, I don’t want to be falsely accused of not being novel, but don’t close the book on this guy yet. To me, and I’m going to stand firm on this one, he’s a rainmaker. There’s going to be reckoning, so listen to my brief and don’t write him off.

There's little doubt about his potential.  That's one of the biggest reasons why the situation has been frustrating so far.  Obviously there's no guarantee, but given what he did in the minors this season and his tools, obviously he could be pretty valuable if he'd get the playing time.  Hopefully it somehow works out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RotoGenius said:

Well played, sir!

12 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

So he's gonna play against righties,  and sit against lefties? 

Who knows.  He crushed both pretty much equally in the minors.  He just needs to keep hitting and playing defense.  All he can do is force the managers hand by playing well.

• Like 1

I am completely over trying to monitor these situations where teams are screwing around with the playing time of call-ups.  I dealt with it with the Rockies (multiple players) last year and Tampa Bay drove me crazy this year.

I'm at the point where if they're not playing regularly pretty much right off the bat, I just move on.  It never seems like this s--- sorts itself out in any particular season if it hasn't within a week or two.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 5
9 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I am completely over trying to monitor these situations where teams are screwing around with the playing time of call-ups.  I dealt with it with the Rockies (multiple players) last year and Tampa Bay drove me crazy this year.

I'm at the point where if they're not playing regularly pretty much right off the bat, I just move on.  It never seems like this s--- sorts itself out in any particular season if it hasn't within a week or two.

Preach! I hear ya...at least the bonus homerun today was nice but I'm with you...all day every day or drop day it is...

52 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

I'm using Grisham as a bench player. I'm interested to see what he can do. When he starts I plug him in. When he doesn't it's no big deal, I just put in another OF.

Same here, although you already likely know my frustrations when he sits.  It's not so much that I think it's going to make or break my season.  It's just know that there's legit big time potential there and it's frustrating to see it being wasted on the bench.  I want to see what he can do, if for nothing else to know if he really has figured it out and if I managed to stumble upon another keeper.

1 hour ago, BCMarch10 said:

I'm using Grisham as a bench player. I'm interested to see what he can do. When he starts I plug him in. When he doesn't it's no big deal, I just put in another OF.

I battle roster crunches due to injury seemingly every ******** day every year.

Who knows guys. Maybe Gisham will become a star. Probably not though (since stars are rare). But we keep trying. And, yes, timing is everything. So, we pick players up and we flip them. It's like panning for gold. We'll have a better feel for Grisham a month from now.