NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

9 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It was pretty impressive work in general, but once again he did not really go to his supposed plus curve (threw 6)...was all sinkers at 95 mph and cutters at 90 mph. Worked all over the zone plot, but was lucky a bunch too as he left many pitches right over the heart.

Yeah it's weird.  I'm far from a scout and there is a real good chance I got my wires crossed, but I thought his curve was supposed to be his real plus off speed pitch and the sinker was like an OK 4th pitch he developed more recently. Hard to argue with the results, but I don't get it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone know who’s starting for the Dodgers today? 

Since June 12 here are his innings and pitch count 6/12 - 6.2 and 96  6/17 -  7 and 97 6/22 - 7 and 103 6/30 - 5  and 91 7/11 - 5 and 85 7/17 - 5.1 and 95 7/23 - 6 a

A guy with this talent on a team of this caliber, seems like it's all about opportunity and that's what he has now. With Stripling suffering a setback/being brought back as a RP, Rich Hill out until mid-September and May performing well, seems to me that ROS he could lock up a rotation spot (assuming he continues his strong performance against the sad, sad Marlins). Dave Roberts has had nothing but high praise, and that sinker of his is absolutely nasty... I'm buying for the playoff push //

On 8/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, tesla said:

two starts in a row he got pulled one out away from a QS

he was looking good today

make that three.  he's looking better every time but i need one more out.

10 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah yeah it sucks he missed out on the QS, but how did he look out there yesterday? Did the curve make more of an appearance or still mostly sinkers? @ST. STEVEN

sinkers still led the way, 43% (39 total), but the curve was used more this game than any other MLB start so far at 19% (17 total). unfortunately, not many whiffs on the curve which is disappointing. 1 whiff on 17 pitches.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah yeah it sucks he missed out on the QS, but how did he look out there yesterday? Did the curve make more of an appearance or still mostly sinkers? @ST. STEVEN

Upped the usage, everything else moves vertically for him so it def complements his arsenal with it horizontal actions--even if the pitch itself does not grade out as even average. It came in at 84 MPH and he threw 16--9 strikes with 9 cuts and 1 whiff. That cutter was pretty damn good again at least--5 whiffs with it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

sinkers still led the way, 43% (39 total), but the curve was used more this game than any other MLB start so far at 19% (17 total). unfortunately, not many whiffs on the curve which is disappointing. 1 whiff on 17 pitches.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Upped the usage, everything else moves vertically for him so it def complements his arsenal with it horizontal actions--even if the pitch itself does not grade out as even average. It came in at 84 MPH and he threw 16--9 strikes with 9 cuts and 1 whiff. That cutter was pretty damn good again at least--5 whiffs with it.

Much obliged. I know he's got some work to do but I'm really liking this kid's potential for a breakout next year, especially if he can successfully get that curve going as a second plus off-speed offering. Spin rate and control are really impressive already. 

weekly leaguers are likely locked in, but what a dilemma... really don't want to see him pitch @ATL but on the flip don't want to see him removed from the rotation.

who's coming off the DL (or would take his place)? stripling? urias?

The big picture is none of these guys (hill, stripling, May) will be starters for the Dodgers in the playoffs and they don’t need the wins now. So they will limit their innings and also by the same token get them acclimated to bullpen roles for October and roll with bums or bullpen games as 5th starters. Assuming Dave Roberts has any thought process at all (a big if), I think that’s what this is. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cyberer said:

The big picture is none of these guys (hill, stripling, May) will be starters for the Dodgers in the playoffs and they don’t need the wins now. So they will limit their innings and also by the same token get them acclimated to bullpen roles for October and roll with bums or bullpen games as 5th starters. Assuming Dave Roberts has any thought process at all (a big if), I think that’s what this is. 

... with the added benefit that it limits looks for the opponents. Having May enter an October game late with a curveball that none of the opponents have seen could be the advantage that decides a playoff game. Unfortunate for fantasy; but totally understandable in real-life.

5 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

... with the added benefit that it limits looks for the opponents. Having May enter an October game late with a curveball that none of the opponents have seen could be the advantage that decides a playoff game. Unfortunate for fantasy; but totally understandable in real-life.

If he can come in like a Lance McCullers, he will be a hero for a long time in Dodgerville.