Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Carson Wentz 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:


Depends what your options are.

My post assumes this guy is your QB1 in a 1 QB league, which is pretty typical for most people who own him. Most drafted him somewhere in rounds 6-8, so it's unlikely you have a better starting option. Prescott is one I could see an argument for over him, but I'm guessing most guys that drafted Wentz didn't go and draft Prescott right after him. And, of the two, I think Wentz is the better talent. Prescott is in a more ideal situation, but Philly leans on Wentz more than Dallas has to rely on Prescott.

Wentz really hasn't even had a "blowup game" yet, which you have to figure is coming. Gotta be patient. His floor is perfectly acceptable to play the odds and wait on the points, unless the rest of your roster is a complete mess.

Edited by EaglesRocker97
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HeHateMe23 said:

 

You didn't say this before the game!!  JK.. Wentz had a nice game but didn't blow up so I don't feel too awful... yet.

I doubt I take him out again.

Sorry, haha, busy workday for me and I got home just before kickoff. I actually saw your post here this morning and felt kind of bad. I do try offer my thoughts here when I can since I literally watch every snap this team plays every season, but I don't mean to preach. Just take it for what you think it's worth. The passing yards were inordinately low last night, so his overall score was less than you'd typically expect from a 3-TD game but still pretty good given the circumstances. Aside from a few high throws, he played smart and got the ball to the right spots. Good luck with Stafford on Sunday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wentz plays in a smart offense that's well-coached, which makes it easier to start Wentz no matter the matchup.

The red-zone opportunities will be there. As you can see, he can throw for under 200 yds but still put up decent FF numbers.

Edited by Pooskay
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

My post assumes this guy is your QB1 in a 1 QB league, which is pretty typical for most people who own him. Most drafted him somewhere in rounds 6-8, so it's unlikely you have a better starting option. Prescott is one I could see an argument for over him, but I'm guessing most guys that drafted Wentz didn't go and draft Prescott right after him. And, of the two, I think Wentz is the better talent. Prescott is in a more ideal situation, but Philly leans on Wentz more than Dallas has to rely on Prescott.

Wentz really hasn't even had a "blowup game" yet, which you have to figure is coming. Gotta be patient. His floor is perfectly acceptable to play the odds and wait on the points, unless the rest of your roster is a complete mess.


Before the draft the QB rankings by the "experts" were roughly something like:
1. Mahomes
2. Watson
3. Rodgers
4. Mayfield
5. Ryan
6. Wentz
7. Wilson
8. Newton
9. Goff
10. Brees
11. Jackson
12. Murray
13. Prescott
14. Winston
15. Roethlisberger
16. Brady
17. Trubisky
18. Rivers
19. Cousins
20. Stafford
etc.

So in 12 team leagues, it would not be a surprise so see some teams with Wentz + Prescott, Wentz + Jackson, Wentz + Brady, etc. And if that's what's on your roster, then yeah I do think you've got to consider who your matchup is. I get what you're point is, and yeah I'm starting Wentz almost every week over most QBs (I've got him in another league with Trubisky as my QB2, so Wentz will be my weekly starter). But it is realistic someone could have a stud QB2 on their roster given that there are a number of good options. Here are the guys that if you ended up with two of them (which again, is somewhat realistic given I'm listing 9 guys and most leagues are around 12 teams) you need to look at your lineup on a weekly basis.

Mahomes - I'm still starting him every week even if I have one of the other guys on my team.
Watson
Jackson
Rodgers
Wentz
Wilson
Ryan
Prescott
Brady

And this list is likely to change with a bunch of rookies now playing, some more likely to come, and a QB like Brees set to return later on in the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

And, of the two, I think Wentz is the better talent.


Also just want to point out that I agree with this. At the draft, I had Wentz somewhere in my top 4. (Mahomes #1, then Watson, Rodgers, and Wentz all pretty much tied). But I don't think he's that much better than Prescott right now where you'd play him in a tough matchup over playing Prescott in an easier matchup. Especially where Wentz had receivers out the offensive hadn't been producing much, and Wentz himself has struggled a bit. Whereas Dallas has been on a roll using their passing game more than they have in the past and having a re-emerging star in Cooper on their team. Dallas hasn't faced any competition yet which is why I'd still have reserves on Prescott's ROS outlook, but he's still a safer play than Wentz was last night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:



So in 12 team leagues, it would not be a surprise so see some teams with Wentz + Prescott, Wentz + Jackson, Wentz + Brady, etc. And if that's what's on your roster, then yeah I do think you've got to consider who your matchup is. I get what you're point is, and yeah I'm starting Wentz almost every week over most QBs (I've got him in another league with Trubisky as my QB2, so Wentz will be my weekly starter). But it is realistic someone could have a stud QB2 on their roster given that there are a number of good options. Here are the guys that if you ended up with two of them (which again, is somewhat realistic given I'm listing 9 guys and most leagues are around 12 teams) you need to look at your lineup on a weekly basis.
 

Surprised that Prescott was that low. I know there was much more healthy skepticism about him before the season started, but after Murray? Laughable. Also, I'm probably a little conditioned to my league's tendencies, which is most guys waiting on QBs and possibly rostering a QB2 but not one that is a legitimate weekly starter, just a competent backup.

 

3 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:


Also just want to point out that I agree with this. At the draft, I had Wentz somewhere in my top 4. (Mahomes #1, then Watson, Rodgers, and Wentz all pretty much tied). But I don't think he's that much better than Prescott right now where you'd play him in a tough matchup over playing Prescott in an easier matchup. Especially where Wentz had receivers out the offensive hadn't been producing much, and Wentz himself has struggled a bit. Whereas Dallas has been on a roll using their passing game more than they have in the past and having a re-emerging star in Cooper on their team. Dallas hasn't faced any competition yet which is why I'd still have reserves on Prescott's ROS outlook, but he's still a safer play than Wentz was last night.


That's fair. I had it Mahomes, Rodgers, Wentz. People definitely slept on Wentz hardcore this year. It might end up being his peak draft-value season. I'm definitely a little nervous about the upcoming 3-game stretch of away games @ MIN, DAL, and BUF, but I still think he'll get his. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Also, I'm probably a little conditioned to my league's tendencies, which is most guys waiting on QBs and possibly rostering a QB2 but not one that is a legitimate weekly starter, just a competent backup.


I'd say this is pretty standard for a lot of 1 QB leagues. But given how deep the QB position even if you wait on a QB you can get a good QB2 (or at least a boom/bust QB). For example, in the only league I did a standard draft (12 team league), 20 QB were drafted. Aside from Mahomes, Watson, and Rodgers, the rest of the QBs started going in the 8th round and beyond. The 8 QB2 that were drafted included Jackson, Prescott, Brady, Murray, Winston, Roethlisberger, Stafford, and Garoppolo. Jackson was actually drafted by the Wentz owner. So there are some teams out there that happened to hit on their QB2 and now have two legit starters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Thoughts on Wentz this week? The Jets won’t have Darnold, so the Eagles may not need to throw alot in this game. 

 

The Eagles need confidence building game, they will not stop throwing in this one. 

With the secondary so atrocious they have got to get the offense humming.

Edited by Mr.STD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Came thru in a bad matchup with Minny on the road.  Dallas up next and not nearly as imposing as they were looking a few weeks back.  Buf, Chi, and NE after that which could be dicey.  I'm gonna be stashing Cam on the IR after waivers clear just to have a fall back option that isn't the trash on the wire - not that Cam is much better tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yea I’m liking Wentz Sunday night against the cowboys. I think that game is pretty high scoring.

I have the feeling he ends up being the highest scoring QB Of the week. Eagles are bringing their A game. I don’t believe the yardage is huge, but he’s going for 3 or 4 touchdowns. 

Edited by Ryansm11
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, BornandbredHeel said:

 

I think it's better if the Eagles are competitive compared to the Jets debacle last week. IMO

 

On 10/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, BornandbredHeel said:

 

The thing is you want a tougher schedule. You want the Eagles to be competitive or down in these games....

 

This is what I was talking about...he gets desean back, I'm still a go for wentz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time to be concerned? He looked bad today and plays the Bills next week.

D-Jax would really help him out.

I wanted Josh Allen just in case but missed out on him and grabbed Darnold for potentially week 9-11. 

Edited by 3FLi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...