Carson Wentz 2019 Outlook

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's going to be a top 3-5 fantasy QB.

Am I the only one who completely disagrees with all this "Wentz sucks" talk? I can't speak about him losing the team or the locker room, I don't have a clue in that regard. But over the course of the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, OmegaRed88 said:

What always stood out to me was how for the Eagles it never seemed a question to let Foles walk.  He straight up lit it up for them and, nah, we're good.

Foles always came in when everything aligned.

The offense hasn't been the same since Reich left for Indy. And there have been so many injuries this season. Losing DJax has killed the offense, in addition to Howard and the OLine injuries.

15 hours ago, devaster said:

Foles always came in when everything aligned.

The offense hasn't been the same since Reich left for Indy. And there have been so many injuries this season. Losing DJax has killed the offense, in addition to Howard and the OLine injuries.

Agree.  I mean, look at what Wentz has at WR.  Those receivers he had yesterday were really, really bad and arguably the worst any QB has had to start a game with this year.  He really didn't have a chance.  And the WR injuries have basically coincided with a very tough run of matchups on the schedule.  It's amazing to me the Eagles didn't make a deal for somebody like Robby Anderson....That could've saved their season.

That said, I still believe he could be a decent streamer the next few weeks though against the Dolphins, Giants and Skins if he can get Jeffrey and/or Nelson back.    

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  I mean, look at what Wentz has at WR.  Those receivers he had yesterday were really, really bad and arguably the worst any QB has had to start a game with this year.  He really didn't have a chance.  And the WR injuries have basically coincided with a very tough run of matchups on the schedule.  It's amazing to me the Eagles didn't make a deal for somebody like Robby Anderson....That could've saved their season.

That said, I still believe he could be a decent streamer the next few weeks though against the Dolphins, Giants and Skins if he can get Jeffrey and/or Nelson back.    

Schedule opens up for the Eagles down the stretch. So if they do get a bit healthier it will be good news for Wentz fantasy owners.

45 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

He HAS to have a good game against the Dolphins with his WR and LT back, right?

Yes. You start Wentz in Miami if his hand is good. That defense will be putting the offense in good field position all game and the weather will be perfect this weekend. Should have Jeffrey, Johnson, and Howard back. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Not counting on it.  Need a win next week to make the playoffs, planning on streaming Darnold or tannehill if available

I would probably advise against that and I have Darnold. Colts are no slouches on Defense and play just as much ball control as the Titans do. Probably looking at a low score slug fest in that one. Darnold has a trap game on the road in Cincy. Only way i bench Wentz this week is if his hand is broken. Judging by the TD he threw to Ertz to finish the game i'm guessing the hand is not too bad. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Thanks 1

Ooof. Yeah, guys, what can I say, things started out looking really encouraging and then just crashed and burned in a matter of weeks. I think Wentz's lack production is the product of myriad factors, but the short answer is that he's withering under a mountain of stress produced by a combination of internal pressure resulting from a lack of qualified personnel at key positions, as well as external pressure that he naturally faces as the franchise QB in a rabid city like Philly, which is intensified by the fact that he now has to follow up a championship won in his absence that is particularly a matter of personal pride, since he has to play in the shadow of a modern legend whoas the Super Bowl MVP of the greatest offensive performance in the game's historypersonally gift wrapped Philadelphia's first Lombardi Trophy with a performance for the ages. He was already going to be challenged to meet the high expectation of a demanding fan base, but ever since Foles went summoned God Mode against the Patriots and epitomized the act of putting a team on your back and willing them to an unlikely victory, and since Wentz has never really demonstrated that kind of intangible leadership and will to win the most difficult games, Wentz will likely always be discounted in the public mind until he shows that he has that "clutch" gene that's popularly associated with great quarterbacks. To ever feel fully accepted, he's got to demonstrate an ability to reliably win big games that come down to the wire. Unfortunately, the circumstances of this season make it even harder for Wentz to exhibit that kind of intangible ability to somehow perform at the highest level when its needed most and do whatever it takes to win. The pressure to win, combined with the need to win high-scoring games while dropping back behind an offensive line that has struggled enormously in pass protection, and by passing the ball to receivers that can't even make routine catches. His low completion percentage is largely the result of dropped passes and a tendency to revert to bad mechanics that cause Wentz to float passes by open receivers as result of facing heavy pressure immediately after the snap, not being able to set his feet, and hesitating to release the ball the when the receivers are constantly struggling to get separation.

The cumulative effect of all this is that Wentz can't get comfortable dropping back, appears indecisive with the football when guys are constantly breaking into the backfield, gives the impression that he's overwhelmed and pressing himself to do too much. It's a virtually impossible expectation to task Wentz with reliably winning high-scoring games with such a dysfunctional offense. We can give him a pass on inaccurate throws that occur the offensive line collapses immediately. But, when he does have protection or is able to buy some time with his legs and find opportunities downfield, he looks like he's physically 100%. He's got the legs and the arm strength to keep plays alive and make all the throws. But trying to play at a high level when defensive linemen are practically in his lap before he can even hand the ball off or complete a three-step drop, often forces to either throw the ball without having his feet set and force into coverage, or take a sack instead of throwing out of bounds or finding a hole to elude the pass rush. I think running for his life all season in a year that will strongly influence popular opinions about him has made him so anxious and scared of failure that he's actually starting to look like a different quarterback. Wentz is naturally a scrambling gunslinger of an athlete at the QB position. What made him a consensus top-2 pick was the upside that came with his ability to escape the rush while making accurate throws on the run, and in his first two years, it was that same ability that made him quickly garner respect as legitimate franchise QB. In fact, one of the gripes that fans and scouts have always had with him is that he tends to hold the ball too long, similar to how Roethlisberger played in his prime, because he's so nimble and strong on his feet that he has a unique ability to extend the play and find an open receiver downfield. Sometimes it got him into trouble taking a bad sack committing a turnover at the worst times, but when he held onto the ball, it was usually outside of the pocket. He was remarkably advanced in his ability to feel the rush and navigate the pocket with subtle moves and short-area agility that allowed him to buy the time and space needed to make game-changing plays. Since the injuries, the coaches have been trying to make him into more of a pocket passer, but that is not his natural tendency. Now, Wentz still holds the ball too long, but he looks like statue, standing flatfooted like a sitting duck with the pocket collapsing around him for another big sack or forced fumble. For a guy known for making plays with his legs, he looked remarkably immobile yesterday. I've thought for awhile now that Wentz isn't in the right headspace, but it was so conspicuous yesterday. He looked lost as to what he should and like he'd gotten to the point of being numb to tall the dysfunction around him. I'm sure he cared, he just felt helpless and gave into feelings of despair about his situation.

As a fantasy player, I think Wentz will continue to be a top-10 QB for years to come, because he still has all the physical tools that made people consider him an elite prospect. He's just not using those skills right now  because of the psychological and mental aspects of the playing the position in such difficult circumstances has made him feel disheartened and demoralized, and probably a little embarrassed that he can't seem to summon the kind of heroics that made him turn heads in the past. I certainly disappointed in Wentz this year, but I haven't given up on him in fantasy or real like. I'll afford anyone a down year or a slump, especially a prospect like Wentz who missed two years of crucial development due to injury. There's still plenty of time for him to reach his potential, but he's clearly struggling right now. Some of that is due to the poor play around him at receiver and offensive line. It's hurting his accuracy and efficiency I ways that he can't completely control, but he's also getting caught unawares and making bad decisions a lot more regularly than we're used to seeing. Even with all the bad things happening around him, he can spare the team some anguish by just being smarter with the ball and not letting a bad drive turn into something worse with a turnover or big loss of yards. Despite all of this, I'm still confident in his long-term future, because I don't think he lost his athletic ability, instincts, or football I.Q.  He's still has the ability to play with the game with the kind intelligence, intuition, and level of physical skill that we've seen him display, but those abilities are currently being masked by psychological struggles resulting from the frustration of repeatedly failing to deliver on gameday. With improvements in personnel and gameplanning, Wentz should be able to settle down and regain his form. This just isn't his year, but with the help of some bold actions by coaches and executive leadership, he should be back in the mix shortly with game-changers at the position. The worry is that organization seems to be patient and loyal to a fault in who they hire and keep around in key positions past their prime or usefulness. Lurie tends to be so scared of organizational chaos that he's obsessed with continuity to the point of letting things become stale and deteriorate beyond the point of reason. He was always like this, but with a Super Bowl win still in the recent past, I think he's all the more apprehensive to undertake any major overhaul.

After thinking through all of this, my perspective on the situation changed a little bit on Wentz. I was getting fed up and frustrated with him as a player this season because he just seemed be developing an identity as someone who can only play at an elite level and do the impossible under favorable circumstances. In pressure situations with the game on the line against top opponents, he seems to be uncharacteristically sloppy to the extent that it puts the team in a hole soon after kickoff, but even though he still often end sup with good opportunities to pull out a win at the end, he'll frequently make critical errors in the red zone that are the ultimate difference between a big win or a devastating loss. This goes along with the larger struggles he's had this year as academic and emotional dilemmas that can be overcome with the right coaching and support from his teammates and superiors. Considering this and knowing where Wentz is in his career, there's still time to get him back on track to be one of the best of his generation, but the powers that be need to act swiftly in the offseason to get fund better players and hire experienced individuals fill positions the positions most critical to offensive success and QB development. That means Lurie and Roseman need to take a look in the mirror and realize that they need to stop promoting from within without respect to the professional merits of whom they select and not shopping for bargain basement coaches and coordinators to entrust with the long-term success of your mot important player and, ultimately, the long-term success of the franchise. What I'm getting at is that losing Reich and DeFilippo as your O.C. and QB coach was very difficult but inevitable. Those guys are outstanding at their jobs, so it was very unlikely that you'd find anyone who could step in provide the same level of offensive creativity and positional expertise, but they sure as hell could've done better than two amateurs like Press Taylor and Joe Groh. They didn't even seem to think twice before promoting two low-level assistants to the second and third most important positions on the coaching staff. They should've taken the time to scour every NFL and major NCAA program for experienced assistants at premier organizations that come with a track record of success and have been waiting patiently for an opportunity to break into a more prestigious job in coaching. They're the kind of highly intelligent and successful individuals that do their jobs pretty well but would be capable of more outstanding achievements if they could didn't such enormous egos. They're confident sometimes to the point of arrogantly believing that they can re-invent the wheel or reject popular wisdom without jeopardizing performance. More often than not, this ends up leading them into reckless and foolhardy decisions that leave even casual fans scratching their heads in disbelief when they do things like promote an offensive line coach to defensive coordinator or buy into Chip Kelly being the next offensive genius of the future worthy of giving total control over your franchise. Instead of shocking the world with as cunning and clever, you astound them by being so incredibly oblivious to reason and lacking awareness of your own reckless tendencies, which exists in stark contrast to the conscious effort to establish an organizational culture of professional sensibility that combines emotional intelligence with a cerebral and calculating approach to ensuring that the team operates as a stable and respectable fraternity of people who are bound through loyalty to each other and commitment to core values that provide the foundation for any successful group of diverse individuals seeking a common goal. that owner and GM were so willing to make two nobodies like Groh and Taylor responsible for the offense as a whole and the development of your most valuable asset to the tune of $130 million. I will be very irritated if they do not make a serious attempt to address the glaring incompetence at these positions or an aggressive effort to find highly skilled experts to replace them and rebuild the team's offensive respectability, in addition to helping Wenz regain his mental clarity and emotional fortitude. All in all, I think Wentz will be ok in both fantasy and real life, because I'm hopeful that Lurie and Roseman will be forced to acknowledge the error of their ways by seeking to staff the offensive coaching staff with people with impressive resumes who clearly demonstrate a wealth of knowledge and experience than can be the difference between being mired in mediocrity with players who should be more successful or maximizing the effectiveness of your scheme and productivity of you players by giving them the academic and emotional support that they need to grow as students of the game. It's time to get serious about who you trust with ensuring the success of your most important player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Can't quote the guy above but one of the most thoughtful posts I've ever seen @EaglesRocker97

Thanks. I wrote this after the game, so they're basically informal notes that might tend to ramble at times, but I thought I'd post it here for anyone who's really interested in what seems to be going on to people who watch the team cloesly. The shot answer is that the reasons for his lack of success the year are complex, but it all starts at the top. There are some incompetent people in high positions, and it trickles down to the results you see on their field. In the long run, Wentz is still a worthy investment, but it's disappointing that an organization that holds itself in such high esteem would be asleep at the wheel on these matters.

The silver lining is that people are gonna sleep on Wentz again next year, so you might still get a chance to own him at max value.

Edited by EaglesRocker97
On 11/25/2019 at 11:20 AM, bigbluecrew56 said:

I would probably advise against that and I have Darnold. Colts are no slouches on Defense and play just as much ball control as the Titans do. Probably looking at a low score slug fest in that one. Darnold has a trap game on the road in Cincy. Only way i bench Wentz this week is if his hand is broken. Judging by the TD he threw to Ertz to finish the game i'm guessing the hand is not too bad. 

You make total sense.  [...] I will 100% go with Wentz if Alshon is active.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ilikepieman said:

forecast of heavy rain in philly monday night, might be worth considering other options depending on what’s available in your league

Yeah, I'm following the weather closely, may have to pivot to Tannahill, be a shame to miss out on that matchup.

14 minutes ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

Monday night will have rain but very little wind and 55 degree weather. Not sure that warrants any lineup adjustments. 

Giants defense is too garbage for a little rain to scare us off Wentz.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Showing a “steady rain” in the forecast, not sure how that will play out. Are y’all going to play him regardless?

I'm gonna start Watson over him now because that forecast now looks pretty bad. This game is setting up to be sloppy. 

11 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Showing a “steady rain” in the forecast, not sure how that will play out. Are y’all going to play him regardless?

Sat Dak Thursday for Wentz with a better matchup but I just got Fitz off waivers against a Jets secondary missing a S and possibly a CB hoping for FitzMAGIC and not FitzTRAGIC 😅😅😅