NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 August Closer Thread

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Deadline in the books and few things have shaken up. DET: Joe Jimenez  (Buck Farmer or Trevor I love long walks in the park Rosenthal, if he blows chunks) SEA: Anthony Bass (Anyone tha

Wade Davis after reclaiming that closers job with Oberg on the IL

too bad that's a carp!   Let's get this back on track with some real BASS....              

25 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I feel like Melancon is gonna be Greg Holland part deux. I know he's been lights out since the break but I just can't trust that guy.

Depends on the league context obviously, but in most leagues almost all closers are worth owning.  And honestly, for a free agent pickup or late-round pick, Greg Holland worked out pretty well for fantasy owners.  From the beginning of the year to the time when he lost the closer's role (at which point he should have been dropped in all leagues), Holland posted 17 saves, 40 K in 33 IP, a 3.51 ERA, and a 1.29 WHIP.  That's definitely worth owning; he provided 17 saves and didn't hurt your ratios that much, especially considering a RP pitches a very small percentage of your team's total innings.  

• Like 1

Say what you want, but Melancon has been solid for 2 months now. Since a huge blow up vs the Mets on June 6th

25.1 IP 29Ks, 8BBs, 1 HR 2.84 ERA, 2.39 FIP.

Cherry picking, I know, but his Cutter Velo is as good/slightly better then back in 2015/2016 when he put together a couple of nice years. Not pre-2015 type stuff, but good enough.

Maybe "its just a matter of time" but that time might not be in the last 2 months.

• Like 3

Here’s my annual thank you to the people in this thread that help me land closers post draft year in and year out. I did not draft a single closer but quickly got Holland, Hendriks, and Robles. Since then I have dropped Holland but added Workman, Bradley, Leclerc, Bass, and Melancon. I went from 0 to 7 closers because of you guys!! Thanks! 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Say what you want, but Melancon has been solid for 2 months now. Since a huge blow up vs the Mets on June 6th

Cherry picking, I know, but his Cutter Velo is as good/slightly better then back in 2015/2016 when he put together a couple of nice years. Not pre-2015 type stuff, but good enough.

Maybe "its just a matter of time" but that time might not be in the last 2 months.

I like his chances of taking the job and running with it. As you’ve said, he’s pitching much better of late plus he’s got that “closer experience “ that managers seem to love and he’s backed by one of the best infield defenses in baseball.

Baseball is funny. I grab moronta and melancon to be closer handcuffs when will smith gets traded.

smith stays put and melancon closes for another team. Ironic. #csb

otherwise I think he should have a decent leash. The manager didn’t say they are going to a committee while greene works stuff out they said melancon is the closer. 

14 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

how long is Doolittle's leash? Are we holding Strickland as a handcuff? or........gulp....Fernando Rodney..?

27.2 yards

Seriously, no, no reason to hold those guys 

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

i needed this last night.....too late now haha

10 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

1st rule of grabbing newly appointed closers in competitive leagues..

GRAB NOW, ASK QUESTIONS LATER

😁

My 1st rule of grabbing newly appointed closers in competitive leagues...

Do they suck?  If so, I'm good... 😉

Obviously in the case of Melancon, he hasn't, but I generally stay away from saves if they are going to kill my ratios in the process.