Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 August Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Deadline in the books and few things have shaken up. DET: Joe Jimenez  (Buck Farmer or Trevor I love long walks in the park Rosenthal, if he blows chunks) SEA: Anthony Bass (Anyone tha

Wade Davis after reclaiming that closers job with Oberg on the IL

too bad that's a carp!   Let's get this back on track with some real BASS....              

13 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Say what you want, I would be really concerned about Hader. Something isn't right with that dude.

 

Myself.  I still think it is the ball.  If a reliever comes in and gives up one run in an inning it seems like an accomplishment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, street sharks said:

This is fun. For Hader owners probably less fun:

 

 

Have to think guys are just swinging for the fences in hopes they connect

 

7 hours ago, street sharks said:

This is fun. For Hader owners probably less fun:

 

 

Have to think guys are just swinging for the fences in hopes they connect

 

Wonder if changes when the ball is different next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Wonder if changes when the ball is different next season.

Wonder if they actually change the ball next year.  Everyone watching wants it changed back to at least last year's juiced standards -- and it was juiced last year too -- as opposed to this year's super juiced video game version of a baseball. 

But never ever trust MLB to get things right especially since they spent over half this year, all of last year and the last couple of months of 2017 -- when the first of these several changes first started -- denying anything was different about the baseball.  Let alone even MORE different than the last difference the year before.  That's over 2 full years now the ball has been increasingly juiced step by step while MLB does the old Sgt Shultz "I know nothing.  Noth - ing!" routine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, B&F said:

 

 

Wonder if changes when the ball is different next season.

 

Dialing back the juice factor on the ball would certainly help Hader since nearly all of his runs come on the long ball, but so would not asking him to get 4-6 outs several times a  week. It would really help Hader if they had someone else reliable to share the burden but their other late-inning options like Jefferies, Peralta, Burnes and Knebel have all been ineffective or hurt. They don't trust anyone else and they need every win so they keep running him out for multiple innings and have run him into the ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wonder if they actually change the ball next year.  Everyone watching wants it changed back to at least last year's juiced standards -- and it was juiced last year too -- as opposed to this year's super juiced video game version of a baseball. 

But never ever trust MLB to get things right especially since they spent over half this year, all of last year and the last couple of months of 2017 -- when the first of these several changes first started -- denying anything was different about the baseball.  Let alone even MORE different than the last difference the year before.  That's over 2 full years now the ball has been increasingly juiced step by step while MLB does the old Sgt Shultz "I know nothing.  Noth - ing!" routine.

They'll probably over correct and be tossing bocci balls around.  Power numbers will look like Cobbs time

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PittsburghSports said:

What happened to Shane Green? Dominant all year, gets traded and looks to be a huge upgrade, then implodes.

 

Greene isn't as good as he was in DET.  He also isn't as bad as he's been in ATL.

He's in his own head and trying to be too perfect.  He needs to relax and trust his instincts a bit more and things ought to even out.

Having said that he isn't going to see many if any save chances rest of the regular season.  Melancon and Jackson are both in front of him right now IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Ouch, Seth Lugo pitching in the 7th inning.  This one hurts a lot.  I really thought he had the edge in the closer's role after he pitched the 9th inning on Saturday and got the win and then Diaz allowed 2 runs on Sunday.  Obviously I was totally wrong.

 

And Lugo's getting totally destroyed to boot.  What a disaster.

Edited by FootballFan101
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

And Lugo's getting totally destroyed to boot.  What a disaster.

Ugh...no longer rosterable now that he forgot how to pitch

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Say what you want, I would be really concerned about Hader. Something isn't right with that dude.

 

As a Hader owner no argument. His issue has nothing to do with control, rather he is giving up many homers. I think he relies too much on his fastball and needs to display the slider more. Basically he needs TO PITCH. He has pretty much been a thrower to this point relying on an elite fastball, movement and location not to mention great deception which makes his 96 heater look 100. But the boys have figured that out, time to work another pitch into the mix. He is still missing bats at an elite rate. So the stuff still works, but not as lock down as last year. Yea, he's killing me this year. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Snitker is an absolute dumb a**. In the last three outings since being named closer, Melancon has entered a clean inning with a 4 run lead in two of those outings.

Melancon melted down tonight and got pulled before he blew the game. He gave up 4 hits and 2 er in less than an inning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Melancon melted down tonight and got pulled before he blew the game. He gave up 4 hits and 2 er in less than an inning.

 

My comment included tonight. Even dumber to bring him in for a non-save when he had literally just pitched yesterday. No wonder the Braves are having consistent bullpen issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, street sharks said:

 

My comment included tonight. Even dumber to bring him in for a non-save when he had literally just pitched yesterday. No wonder the Braves are having consistent bullpen issues. 

On the other side, Atlanta has had bullpen issues and a reliever should be able to pitch in back to back games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...