NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lauri Markkanen 2019-2020 Outlook

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really took otto at 42 and lauri at 55. I want to die.

My mind is blown everytime i see a posters talk with absolute certainty that kids in their second or third year can't improve.  These guys are 21 and 22 years old in most cases and are not a final pro

FG% anchor, not in the good way.

So haven't been following closely -- is it far to attribute his poor start this year to misdiagnosed injury/playing through pain? He had that 25/10 month late last year where he was doing it all on the offensive end that gave me hope he could be a monster this year but it's been a rough ride.

He was playing pretty well right before he got hurt. I could never figure out if WCJ was hurting his value. Others here told me that was not the problem.  But whenever WCJ was out, he seemed to me to put up better numbers.

I had to drop him so I could field a team and someone else picked him up.  I'm still having trouble fielding a team with Bryant, Rose and MPJ all out. I wish we had an IR and I might have been able to keep him.

I just hope he doesn't have a re-occurance when he gets back. 

It is optimistic to think Lauri will be back February. I´m not too sure about early March either. Stress facture things are pain in the a**... Many times they renew themselves. Bulls have nothing to play and really done a number on Lauri this year. His self-esteem is gone! They utilize him as a passive perimeter shooter and nothing else. He was better last year because he had green light to play more freely. Yeah, not all of his shots were the best (some mid-range work and so-so at the rim), but he had the sense of trust to develop his game. Now he is just a spot-up shooter with very strict orders not to shoot anything but threes or attack the basket.

Lauri is fed up with it but what is going to change? Nothing. Lavine does Lavine things and they are guard heavy otherwise too. And Boylen has no clue. Or GarPax does not have a clue as it is their idea to work Lauri like this.

Joke of an organisation...

47 minutes ago, shiftysaj said:

Worth stashing without an IR? i'm not too sure how credible this is considering its the bulls but i wouldn't want to miss out on a chance getting Lauri next to the price of nothing if this is the case.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nba/news/250903/lauri-markkanen-hip-is-expected-back-by-end-month.php

That right there is non-news. They are saying what was said on his original timetable. 

I had him on my team up to the injury. A lot of his play in 2019-20 has been quite underwhelming. 

He was pretty consistent for a stretch in Mid-January. But on most nights, you would not know what kind of performance you were going to get.

Who knows how much his injury was affecting him prior to going on the IL?  I liked what he was doing in Mid-Jan. But will you get that player when he comes back.

• Like 2

Lauri Markkanen (right pelvic stress reaction) remains on track to return to action near the beginning of March according to Jim Boylen.

Markkanen has been sidelined since late-January due to the stress reaction, as what he originally believed to simply be soreness turned out to be much worse. The Bulls, who have also been without Otto Porter (left foot) and Wendell Carter Jr. (right ankle), entered the All-Star break five games out of the final playoff spot in the East. With Porter and Carter due back soon and Markkanen shortly thereafter, the door on a late-season run isn't closed just yet. Hold off on stashing Markkanen right now, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make that move by the end of the month.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, rabaak said:

I had him on my team up to the injury. A lot of his play in 2019-20 has been quite underwhelming. 

He was pretty consistent for a stretch in Mid-January. But on most nights, you would not know what kind of performance you were going to get.

Who knows how much his injury was affecting him prior to going on the IL?  I liked what he was doing in Mid-Jan. But will you get that player when he comes back.

Honestly think he's gonna do worse with Dunn out and Sato/Lavine being the primary ball handlers now. 

On 2/19/2020 at 5:03 PM, MuscleChestbrook said:

From what little I saw and from the Bulls subreddit, whenever Dunn had ball-handling duties, he did a good job of finding Lauri. Sato is a black hole in that regard. And Zach is Zach

wtf are u watching lol a guy who averages 28 mins a game and shoots 8.5 times on average a game is a black hole? okay.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:03 PM, MuscleChestbrook said:

From what little I saw and from the Bulls subreddit, whenever Dunn had ball-handling duties, he did a good job of finding Lauri. Sato is a black hole in that regard. And Zach is Zach

On 2/26/2020 at 4:13 PM, steempot said:

wtf are u watching lol a guy who averages 28 mins a game and shoots 8.5 times on average a game is a black hole? okay.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see. 

• Haha 1

I understand what you saying about Satoransky. Our rec league team has few ballhandlers, myself included. That means you have to juggle roles a bit, not everyone create and  be a playmaker at the same time. So... (this turning out to be cool story for bros) one guy fits the bill of "Satoransky-type Black Hole". He is not selfish, not at all. He does not try and take his own shots all the time. On the contrary, he defers to other players most of the time. So you would think he would be good fit to be the point guard. BUT...!!! He just can´t create for others. I put him in spot to run pick and roll or drive-and-kick in our system, but he just can´t do it. He is the kind of a point who just throws out alibi passes and keeps the ball moving. But he can not create for others and can´t run a pick and roll to save his life. He does not find open guys nor does he draw enough attention to create room for other players shots. Satoransky is just like that. Just a ball mover.

7 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

I understand what you saying about Satoransky. Our rec league team has few ballhandlers, myself included. That means you have to juggle roles a bit, not everyone create and  be a playmaker at the same time. So... (this turning out to be cool story for bros) one guy fits the bill of "Satoransky-type Black Hole". He is not selfish, not at all. He does not try and take his own shots all the time. On the contrary, he defers to other players most of the time. So you would think he would be good fit to be the point guard. BUT...!!! He just can´t create for others. I put him in spot to run pick and roll or drive-and-kick in our system, but he just can´t do it. He is the kind of a point who just throws out alibi passes and keeps the ball moving. But he can not create for others and can´t run a pick and roll to save his life. He does not find open guys nor does he draw enough attention to create room for other players shots. Satoransky is just like that. Just a ball mover.

I hear what you're saying generally, but Sato is pretty good at finding athletic roll guys. See what he did to end last season in Washington. Bryant and other bigs ate.

The problem with Lauri is, and has always been, Coach Thumbhead. His old-school style is so yesterday, it is a comic self-parody. He would love a PF who bangs in the post, and thus Thad Young works in this "system."

Imagine Lauri in the hands of a modern coach. Like Carlisle or D'Antoni. Or even taking the minutes on the Spurs that they are giving to Lyles. Long story short: Lauri needs to be traded.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, rabaak said:

Agreed. Lauri was awful before any hip pain, so now that he is coming back, it's tough to see why he would suddenly blossom. I swapped him on my IL for Kennard, who was clearly blocked by injury alone, rather than a combo of mental strength, coach dumbassery, etc.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, MuscleChestbrook said:

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see. 

clearly its you who has the issue. IM talking abotu sato not dunn...

youre calling sato who averages 8 shots a game a black hole. please go away

Edited by steempot
1 hour ago, steempot said:

clearly its you who has the issue. IM talking abotu sato not dunn...

youre calling sato who averages 8 shots a game a black hole. please go away

No, he's saying Sato is a black hole in not being able to get the ball to Lauri.

• Like 1