Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook


Kaboom
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, JooCraig said:

What did this dude do to piss Pop off lol I really don’t get what’s happening here and I’m not even saying that because I have him. 


he didn’t do anything, white was a defacto starter because they didn’t have as many bodies in the back court after Murray went down.

They have too much depth now, his usage and role will fluctuate, and he doesn’t provide the spacing the starting 5 needs, so basically he’s a defensive specialist back up combo guard who’s minutes will fluctuate, no thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahaha

It was a pretty easy decision for me. Pops has always been notoriously hard to trust, he doesn’t care about stats, he wants guys to play specific roles and pigeon holes them.

White is dealing with Murray, Forbes, Mills, Belli, and even some Lonnie Walker, it’s almost as bad as the carousel in New Orleans but not quite.
 

I like the talent, but talent doesn’t always paint the whole picture, usage/min/role is more important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, freddo said:

He's in the rotation and spurs will change up their rotation from matchup to matchup. Will look rosterable throughout the season at different points.


It’s pretty hard to justify him starting, he isn’t going to start over Murray, DeMar isn’t going to the bench and nor is Aldridge, so try to picture a lineup of Murray, white, demar, Aldridge, and Lyles (or maybe poeltl) trying to shoot threes, that isn’t going to work.

The only way he gets in is when Pops does his random rest the starter days.

We know Murray and white are the two best guards, but no one is looking at the composition of the starting 5, I would let my team zone and just let them shoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

So did y'all drop him for Forbes or someone else? I'm pretty sure of letting go already

Was fortunate enough to drop him for Nunn a few days ago. And in one league I dropped him for Forbes. Kept him in a a deeper league as there were no better options.

Couldve drafted Murray over White in 2/3 leagues though so that’s a lesson learned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Was fortunate enough to drop him for Nunn a few days ago. And in one league I dropped him for Forbes. Kept him in a a deeper league as there were no better options.

Couldve drafted Murray over White in 2/3 leagues though so that’s a lesson learned.


I also dropped for Nunn, one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made. I barely contemplated it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stalled to drop him for Winslow, then gave him 1 more game and Nunn went off the board during his 2nd game. Now finally dropped for OG. Absolutely hate myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. Hope this is a lesson to all out there. If the situation caps your players upside, get rid ASAP! These decisions win leagues!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ROTY said:

I stalled to drop him for Winslow, then gave him 1 more game and Nunn went off the board during his 2nd game. Now finally dropped for OG. Absolutely hate myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. Hope this is a lesson to all out there. If the situation caps your players upside, get rid ASAP! These decisions win leagues!

 

That's exactly it.

There's 2 things that play a much bigger role in player success than people give credit to:

1. Usage / minutes / depth - rotation / situation + real life versus fantasy

2. Games played

You'll have role players who don't get a high usage (Pj Washington) and still succeed, but there's talented guys like Derrick White and NAW who are stuck in 6 man rotations. What I mean by 'real life versus fantasy', is that Derrick White can have all the talent, but the 4 other starters are Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Lyles (or Poeltl). I haven't seen a single person (not Josh Lloyd who had a hard on for Derrick White or any other 'expert') point out that he doesn't fit within the starting unit whatsoever. This idea that Pops was just going to stick him in a 5 man group where no one shoots threes well was absurd. Sure they'd be better defensively, but they've have a really hard time scoring every time down the floor and they'd start getting behind in games because they lack perimeter shooting. You can't score long range 2's all day.

Forbes just made a lot more sense there from a real life perspective.

FVV after a great playoff run and at his age 25 season runs into a 35-40 minute role and all of a sudden he's a top 40 player. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

 

That's exactly it.

There's 2 things that play a much bigger role in player success than people give credit to:

1. Usage / minutes / depth - rotation / situation + real life versus fantasy

2. Games played

You'll have role players who don't get a high usage (Pj Washington) and still succeed, but there's talented guys like Derrick White and NAW who are stuck in 6 man rotations. What I mean by 'real life versus fantasy', is that Derrick White can have all the talent, but the 4 other starters are Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Lyles (or Poeltl). I haven't seen a single person (not Josh Lloyd who had a hard on for Derrick White or any other 'expert') point out that he doesn't fit within the starting unit whatsoever. This idea that Pops was just going to stick him in a 5 man group where no one shoots threes well was absurd. Sure they'd be better defensively, but they've have a really hard time scoring every time down the floor and they'd start getting behind in games because they lack perimeter shooting. You can't score long range 2's all day.

Forbes just made a lot more sense there from a real life perspective.

FVV after a great playoff run and at his age 25 season runs into a 35-40 minute role and all of a sudden he's a top 40 player. 

 

whoa calm down. lol i dont think FVV will do that well. man still has an inefficient shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tonycpsu changed the title to Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...