NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook

Kaboom

I wonder when Murrays upto full speed they start him and White together and stagger then ala harden/westbrook etc. That's the dream anyways. If they're replacing eachother exclusively at the 1 then both are majorly capped.

The combination of Derrick White being good at basketball and Dejounte Murray's minutes restriction / not playing both ends of a B2B will keep White at a bare minimum of 20 minutes per game and I wouldn't be surprised at 24-26 minutes. I was down on White after the first couple games but that was moreso because of the uncertainty of his playing time with Murray looking like the clear alpha dog, and had nothing to do with White's ability. Seeing how the team is approaching Murray this season, I like White a lot more. I know Murray was in foul trouble tonight, but the fact that White's has taken advantage when he has been giving a little more playing time is a very good sign. 

We also need to look at his inflated FG% over the last 2 games and usage. FG - 55% and 73% on 22% and 26% usage, after averaging FG 48% and 17% usage last season with murray out, makes this seem obviously unsustainable. 2x 20pt b2b games are nice to look at in the box score but we have to temper expectations imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ROTY said:

We also need to look at his inflated FG% over the last 2 games and usage. FG - 55% and 73% on 22% and 26% usage, after averaging FG 48% and 17% usage last season with murray out, makes this seem obviously unsustainable. 2x 20pt b2b games are nice to look at in the box score but we have to temper expectations imo.

I owned White last year, I have zero expectations of him averaging more than 14 or 15 ppg. There are way too many mouths to feed in SA. 

What he is very good at is getting you sneaky stats like steals, blocks, and threes on clean percentages. He's a fantasy friendly player, you just have to hope that he gets the ball enough to get you a bare minimum of points/assists. Because the rest of the stuff will buoy his value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

I owned White last year, I have zero expectations of him averaging more than 14 or 15 ppg. There are way too many mouths to feed in SA. 

What he is very good at is getting you sneaky stats like steals, blocks, and threes on clean percentages. He's a fantasy friendly player, you just have to hope that he gets the ball enough to get you a bare minimum of points/assists. Because the rest of the stuff will buoy his value.

Every owner wins if he averages 14-15 tbh. Let's hope 

Just now, ROTY said:

Every owner wins if he averages 14-15 tbh. Let's hope 

Oh I meant that's probably his ceiling given the current roster construction. DD amd LMA have to eat, Gay is aggressive, and Mills/Beli are more inclined to snipe than to pass.  

That said, if he gives me 12-13 ppg with say 4 boards, 3-4 assists, and close to a 1/1/1 (hopefully with more 3s and steals), I'll be very happy. He actually won me blocks a couple times last year with his out of position blocks. 

I think he is definitely coming back on the 12T radar. As someone above mentioned, very fantasy friendly game with %'s, some peripheral stocks, REBS and then the normal guard stuff. 

He will be limited to around 25 minutes max but I think he can produce value as he gets more acclimated to his new role. He was a starter all year last year so there is clearly an adjustment period for him.

• Like 1

He’s talented but I can see him being a frustrating player to own.

1. In the Clippers game, Murray was in foul trouble, Aldridge only scored 5 points, White was the only guy to show up next to DeRozan.

2. It’s not sustainable for him to keep shooting 60 to 70 percent every game. 

3. Even in these games where he shows out, pops limits him to 22 to 24 min even when they’re in striking range of the Clippers. That’s a red flag to me, he’s the only guy showing up and doesn’t even get rewarded with an additional 5 plus minutes. 

4. pops rotations are predicated on what he sees is working within a game, not on whether he needs to stick to a set plan for a period of time. If white misses an assignment or isn’t hitting his threes, that might cost him a couple minutes in that particular game. This no rhyme or reason attitude toward players is why SA players traditionally have never been fun to own outside of the main workhorses Pops like to ride every night.

5. what’s going to happen once Murray gets his minutes cap removed?

6. The defense isn’t respecting his jumper right now despite him hitting it. The clippers didn’t even bother defending him, they were sagging off completely. Almost every jumpshot he took he got a ton of space as they just opted to load up on other areas. 

I’m curious to see if he keeps this up whether his numbers will start to take a hit as they put more attention on him.

Lastly, seemingly every team now churns out multiple solid fantasy players, I’d place SA as one of the worst in that regard.

obviously you have to take a flier if you have bench fodder, I dropped him for Nunn after White’s second game and I haven’t looked back.

it’ll be a tad frustrating for me if he irons it out the rest of the year, but like I said while I trust him, I absolutely do not trust his coach.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

He’s talented but I can see him being a frustrating player to own.

1. In the Clippers game, Murray was in foul trouble, Aldridge only scored 5 points, White was the only guy to show up next to DeRozan.

2. It’s not sustainable for him to keep shooting 60 to 70 percent every game. 

3. Even in these games where he shows out, pops limits him to 22 to 24 min even when they’re in striking range of the Clippers. That’s a red flag to me, he’s the only guy showing up and doesn’t even get rewarded with an additional 5 plus minutes. 

4. pops rotations are predicated on what he sees is working within a game, not on whether he needs to stick to a set plan for a period of time. If white misses an assignment or isn’t hitting his threes, that might cost him a couple minutes in that particular game. This no rhyme or reason attitude toward players is why SA players traditionally have never been fun to own outside of the main workhorses Pops like to ride every night.

5. what’s going to happen once Murray gets his minutes cap removed?

6. The defense isn’t respecting his jumper right now despite him hitting it. The clippers didn’t even bother defending him, they were sagging off completely. Almost every jumpshot he took he got a ton of space as they just opted to load up on other areas. 

I’m curious to see if he keeps this up whether his numbers will start to take a hit as they put more attention on him.

Lastly, seemingly every team now churns out multiple solid fantasy players, I’d place SA as one of the worst in that regard.

obviously you have to take a flier if you have bench fodder, I dropped him for Nunn after White’s second game and I haven’t looked back.

it’ll be a tad frustrating for me if he irons it out the rest of the year, but like I said while I trust him, I absolutely do not trust his coach.

Very good writeup. I actually just picked up House over White and you hit on some of the reasons I did that for even though I like White better as a basketball player.

I just don't see a pathway to any consistent minutes over 25 MPG. This is for a variety of factors including : Murray having his minutes cap removed, the spacing Spurs need with Murray and Derozan on the floor which leans them to Forbes, etc.

13 minutes ago, FantasyMamba said:

Very good writeup. I actually just picked up House over White and you hit on some of the reasons I did that for even though I like White better as a basketball player.

I just don't see a pathway to any consistent minutes over 25 MPG. This is for a variety of factors including : Murray having his minutes cap removed, the spacing Spurs need with Murray and Derozan on the floor which leans them to Forbes, etc.

not to mention but he’s getting just 11 fga in these games..

it’s not like Nunn where he’s getting the most shots on the team. He’s hitting 60 to 70 percent on 11 shots, let’s say that goes down to 45 or 46 you’re looking at a 10 to 12 ppg scorer, it puts him right back in line with his averages last year.

I need to see a better situational role, more minutes, higher usage (shots/volume) before I endorse him.

50 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

not to mention but he’s getting just 11 fga in these games..

it’s not like Nunn where he’s getting the most shots on the team. He’s hitting 60 to 70 percent on 11 shots, let’s say that goes down to 45 or 46 you’re looking at a 10 to 12 ppg scorer, it puts him right back in line with his averages last year.

I need to see a better situational role, more minutes, higher usage (shots/volume) before I endorse him.

They are two completely different types of players though. 

Over the last two month of last season White cracked the top 100 with only 10.5ppg in 26.8mpgbecause he put up a 1/1/1. He pitches in in different areas and doesn't really hurt you anywhere.

Nunn is a scorer with volume 3s and solid steals. I think he'll still be solid the rest of the year but I highly doubt he's launching 17 attempts a game once Butler is back up to speed.

White's upside is definitely more capped by Pop and the situation, but I think he's a decent gamble because one of the Spurs writers said Pop implied he might play White and Murray together once the minutes restriction is off. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Derrick White 2019-2020 Outlook