NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

thebadferret

57 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Alright. I'm starting him. Spina, I will be blaming you if this doesnt work out.

That's fine, thank me first for advising the below on McLaurin before he blew up though...😂 j/k

On 9/4/2019 at 12:02 AM, Spina said:

Week 1 Waiver Wire Darling: Terry McLaurin -- Skins new X WR (1% Y!Owned)

Gruden speaking about the Doctson cut....

“Well, it’s a shame,” Gruden said. “Josh is a good player and I wish him nothing but the best. At the end of the day we decided to go with Terry (McLaurin) at the X and keep Paul Richardson.

What does Talent + Opportunity equal....?

Terry McLaurin will lead the team in Targets, Receptions and Yards, and will emerge as a solid WR3 play.

.....but lets all ignore him cause the Redskins are bad, and he's just a rookie...

Either way, I suggest you always think for yourself with the information gathered (...with help from the gut). IF you have better options then go with them -- I don't have that luxury in my 16T where we start three WRs, a Flex....AND losing Tyreek. 

Point, McLaurin will be a solid play in his 1st game infront of the home crowd vs. a divisional rival, on his birthday, with his parents in the stands and AP toting the rock with something to prove.... 

Let's All wish Terry McLaurin an amazing Birthday, filled with many receptions, yards and TDs! 

(....and BrownsFan74, think of me as I'm driving home from the game Monday Night all pissed off from the beatdown your Browns give my Jets -- I'll be in my normal seats in the corner endzone [the one where Demaryius scores his 1st TD as a Jet, also the one where Baker throws many against our awful corners]. MONO?!! Only the Jets...) 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Spina said:

FYI - Sunday is Terry's birthday, and his parents will be at the game....

Believe he will be gifting us a rock solid game.

(these sorts of things matter to me in fantasy)

This makes it so much easier to start him over Hardman. Choo Choo boys this trains going to the endzone

• Like 1

Though the Redskins scored only one touchdown in the second half -- and not until six seconds remained -- the offense showed an ability to be explosive. That's not what many expected entering the season -- and it remains to be seen if it continues. If Washington wants to do anything this season, it will have to play a key role.

But having a deep threat such as McLaurin and an underneath threat such as Reed will benefit everyone on offense, especially against Dallas. The third-round pick caught five passes for 125 yards and a touchdown against the Eagles.

"It minimizes the ability to play single coverage," McLaurin said. "The Cowboys play a lot of man on third downs, so it's a lot of guys [they] have to account for. I played in a system at Ohio State where we had a lot of weapons. It really minimizes the ability to cover everybody single."

With Reed, the Redskins like to align three receivers to one side and Reed to the other. In the past, they have targeted Reed in those spots; defenses know this, too. But with McLaurin's speed -- he caught a 69-yarder for a score and was open for what should have been another long touchdown in the opener -- the Redskins can align the rookie inside in those sets and, if the middle is vacated because of attention paid to Reed, then they can find McLaurin.

"If a team wants to pack the box up and run some cover zero blitzes on us, you have to show you can beat the corners," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "Terry did a great job of that."

McLaurin's touchdown also came against man coverage. He said the passing game designed by Gruden and offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell does a good job of "window dressing."

"It gets the linebackers out of place, it gets the safeties' eyes moving and by the time the ball is snapped, you've got a fast guy running right by them," he said.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38990

The kid understands the game with the maturity of a vet. Seems like he studies the game and puts in the work. Hard work, physical gifts and opportunity are all there with this kid. If his QB can continue to get him the ball, he'll be more than a one game wonder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, PhilaFanBoy said:

You sure don't have to worry about McLaurin being consistently involved with the offense. Jay Gruden absolutely loves him.

I don't think they are very smart though. Doctson in the 1st round a few years back, traded 3 1sts and more for rgiii, had cousins and let him walk for free. They need to pay someone like the Browns did last year to fix this franchise but then the owner has too much say that it might not even matter. 

But if Cleveland can go from 1-31 to fixed in 1 year with a amazing hiring then so can the Redskins.

9 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I don't think they are very smart though. Doctson in the 1st round a few years back, traded 3 1sts and more for rgiii, had cousins and let him walk for free. They need to pay someone like the Browns did last year to fix this franchise but then the owner has too much say that it might not even matter. 

But if Cleveland can go from 1-31 to fixed in 1 year with a amazing hiring then so can the Redskins.

I owned doctson for years, and no one ever said anything like this about him his whole time in Washington. I dont care if gruden is telling the truth or lying, this guy is getting a dozen targets tomorrow. Hope he can do something with em.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newtown said:

Though the Redskins scored only one touchdown in the second half -- and not until six seconds remained -- the offense showed an ability to be explosive. That's not what many expected entering the season -- and it remains to be seen if it continues. If Washington wants to do anything this season, it will have to play a key role.

But having a deep threat such as McLaurin and an underneath threat such as Reed will benefit everyone on offense, especially against Dallas. The third-round pick caught five passes for 125 yards and a touchdown against the Eagles.

"It minimizes the ability to play single coverage," McLaurin said. "The Cowboys play a lot of man on third downs, so it's a lot of guys [they] have to account for. I played in a system at Ohio State where we had a lot of weapons. It really minimizes the ability to cover everybody single."

With Reed, the Redskins like to align three receivers to one side and Reed to the other. In the past, they have targeted Reed in those spots; defenses know this, too. But with McLaurin's speed -- he caught a 69-yarder for a score and was open for what should have been another long touchdown in the opener -- the Redskins can align the rookie inside in those sets and, if the middle is vacated because of attention paid to Reed, then they can find McLaurin.

"If a team wants to pack the box up and run some cover zero blitzes on us, you have to show you can beat the corners," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "Terry did a great job of that."

McLaurin's touchdown also came against man coverage. He said the passing game designed by Gruden and offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell does a good job of "window dressing."

"It gets the linebackers out of place, it gets the safeties' eyes moving and by the time the ball is snapped, you've got a fast guy running right by them," he said.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38990

The kid understands the game with the maturity of a vet. Seems like he studies the game and puts in the work. Hard work, physical gifts and opportunity are all there with this kid. If his QB can continue to get him the ball, he'll be more than a one game wonder.

That’s a good article but one of the main points is how effective McLaurin can be because of Reed being on the field.  Which he won’t be tomorrow and likely many other games.  

13 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That’s a good article but one of the main points is how effective McLaurin can be because of Reed being on the field.  Which he won’t be tomorrow and likely many other games.  

Vernon Davis is still plenty capable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, csv2209 said:

Hype aside, Where are you guys ranking Terry? Below someone like Sutton?

I don’t know how much they are going to  trust Keenum slinging it. It might be out of necessity, but I’m trying to temper expectations because of the situation in WASH.  

Top 36. Upside is higher though.  I don't think he's higher than 25ish range .. yet

Higher than sutton btw

Edited by Eaglesflyhigh11
Left out sutton