NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

thebadferret

I'm getting big time flashbacks to Odell's rookie season. 

There might be a discrepancy in talent, but I argue there are some who would agree with me. (12th overall vs 3rd round)

Obviously OBJ was putting up more explosive numbers right off the bat, but the fact that Scary Terry gives me a similar feeling to owning OBJ his rookie season is awesome.

-Discount: OBJ was injured, Terry not hyped as 3rd round pick

-Usage: Very high for both players off the bat relative to most rookies. Both show big play ability and are WR1's of their respective team.

-Opportunity to shine(#1 Targets injured): Cruz and Reed

- Both s---y teams: passing from behind or to keep it close

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

Yes, definitely shut him down. Sanders only managed 11 receptions, 98 yards and a touchdown against them last week.

Don't overthink it guys. This Bears D is still good away but not nearly as good as when they're home.

Are you implying that you’re going to start him?

3 hours ago, Corleone said:

This comment intrigued me and I took a look at how the Bears have done against WR's while on the road, since the start of 2018...

--Week 1 2018 @ GB: D.Adams: 5-88-1, Cobb: 9-142-1, Allison 5-69-1
--Week 3 2018 @ ARI: Fitzgerald: 2-9-0 [this was the last start for Sam Bradford; he was benched during the game for Josh Rosen]
--Week 6 2018 @ MIA: A.Wilson: 6-155-2, Amendola: 8-59-0 [this was with Brock Osweiller starting]
--Week 9 2018 @ BUF: K.Benjamin: 4-40-0 [this was with Nathan Peterman starting]
--Week 12 2018 @ DET: Golladay: 5-90-0
--Week 13 2018 @ NYG: OBJ: 3-35-1
--Week 16 2018 @ WAS: Goodwin: 3-29-0 [this was with Nick Mullens starting]
--Week 17 2018 @ MIN: Diggs: 8-47-1, Thielen: 3-38-0
--Week 1 2019 @ DEN: E.Sanders: 11-98-1

So overall, the Bears have had their problems on the road against opposing primary WR's.
In 6 of their last 9 road games, they allowed at least 90 yards OR a TD (and in some cases, both) to the primary WR.
In the 3 games they shut down the primary WR, they were facing Bradford/Rosen, Peterman and Mullens. Plus, BUF & SF had no good primary WR.

So I agree with your comment about the Bears D.

This doesn't mean McLaurin is destined to have a good game by any means, but it also shows there's reason to think he's not an automatic bench either.

Nice work.

I guess the question is if they shut down Terry, wouldn’t it be easy enough to put red text saying, “(this was with Keemun starting)”?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Bit711 said:

You want wide outs in the slot vs the Bears. Buster Skrine is their nickel corner and he's trash. 

The slot coner, Callahan, was a pro bowler for the Bears last year.  Fangio made sure to sign him for the Broncos.  So that spot took a downgrade (Emmanuel Sanders last week had a great game, and he operates out of the slot a lot)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Corleone said:

This comment intrigued me and I took a look at how the Bears have done against WR's while on the road, since the start of 2018...

--Week 1 2018 @ GB: D.Adams: 5-88-1, Cobb: 9-142-1, Allison 5-69-1
--Week 3 2018 @ ARI: Fitzgerald: 2-9-0 [this was the last start for Sam Bradford; he was benched during the game for Josh Rosen]
--Week 6 2018 @ MIA: A.Wilson: 6-155-2, Amendola: 8-59-0 [this was with Brock Osweiller starting]
--Week 9 2018 @ BUF: K.Benjamin: 4-40-0 [this was with Nathan Peterman starting]
--Week 12 2018 @ DET: Golladay: 5-90-0
--Week 13 2018 @ NYG: OBJ: 3-35-1
--Week 16 2018 @ WAS: Goodwin: 3-29-0 [this was with Nick Mullens starting]
--Week 17 2018 @ MIN: Diggs: 8-47-1, Thielen: 3-38-0
--Week 1 2019 @ DEN: E.Sanders: 11-98-1

So overall, the Bears have had their problems on the road against opposing primary WR's.
In 6 of their last 9 road games, they allowed at least 90 yards OR a TD (and in some cases, both) to the primary WR.
In the 3 games they shut down the primary WR, they were facing Bradford/Rosen, Peterman and Mullens. Plus, BUF & SF had no good primary WR.

So I agree with your comment about the Bears D.

This doesn't mean McLaurin is destined to have a good game by any means, but it also shows there's reason to think he's not an automatic bench either.

Thanks for pulling the stats!

There’s been some comments about sanders playing the slot. I actually think desean Hamilton plays mostly out of the slot now.

• Thanks 1