NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

thebadferret

Just glancing over his schedule... He has the Bears D in week 3. Then from weeks 5-9 he has Stephon Gilmore, Xavien Howard, Richard Sherman, Xavier Rhodes, Tre'davious White and then a bye. The week after the bye, he gets Darius Slay. Talk about baptism by 🔥. Gonna learn a lot about this young man in the weeks to come.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Newtown said:

Just glancing over his schedule... He has the Bears D in week 3. Then from weeks 5-9 he has Stephon Gilmore, Xavien Howard, Richard Sherman, Xavier Rhodes, Tre'davious White and then a bye. The week after the bye, he gets Darius Slay. Talk about baptism by 🔥. Gonna learn a lot about this young man in the weeks to come.

Week 16 he gets Giants at home. That's almost all I need to know 😁

2 hours ago, Newtown said:

Yikes.  Are all these guys shadow corners or they play a side?

4 hours ago, Newtown said:

Whatever you do, avoid starting players against the Dolphins!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, RingMyBell said:

Im more worried about the pocket collapsing than who is covering scary t.

^^^This. This right here.^^^

If you have solid options with better matchups, McLaurin is a fade cuz who knows if Keenum is gonna have any time to find him?

4 hours ago, Newtown said:

Stephon Gilmore , T. White, and maybe Rhodes are the only ones I’m concerned about. The rest not so much. One way or another the Skins will be throwing it alot , so maybe in volume alone will help put up decent stat lines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Stephon Gilmore , T. White, and maybe Rhodes are the only ones I’m concerned about. The rest not so much. One way or another the Skins will be throwing it alot , so maybe in volume alone will help put up decent stat lines. 

FWIW, Terry did pretty well last week against Byron Jones, who's no slouch.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CFN said:

FWIW, Terry did pretty well last week against Byron Jones, who's no slouch.

Well.  His numbers were good (and you can use the argument that it doesn't matter when or how you get the numbers, as long as you get them), but Terry was on lockdown for 3 quarters and got his numbers when the game was out of hand.  Not as promising as it may seem.  You want a guy who gets numbers when the defense isn't backing off too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newtown said:

I don't want to find out. That sounds horrible. God damn it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Towards the concerns some have about McLaurin having gotten his best numbers in the 4th quarter (in 1 of his 2 career games), I took a look at two top WR's that came to mind because they've been on losing teams most of their career (as McLaurin projects to be in 2019). Here are their splits by quarter:

image.png.e84337399f957ae7c8f424c735b47327.png

Both players have their best FP production in the 4th quarter. Now of course those guys are elite in all quarters too...but the 4th is when they put up their biggest numbers of all.

In no way am I comparing McLauren to them in terms of skill level, just using them as examples of WR's on perennial losers, who have used the 4th quarter to boost their overall stats.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Towards the concerns some have about McLaurin having gotten his best numbers in the 4th quarter (in 1 of his 2 career games), I took a look at two top WR's that came to mind because they've been on losing teams most of their career (as McLaurin projects to be in 2019). Here are their splits by quarter:

image.png.e84337399f957ae7c8f424c735b47327.png

Both players have their best FP production in the 4th quarter. Now of course those guys are elite in all quarters too...but the 4th is when they put up their biggest numbers of all.

In no way am I comparing McLauren to them in terms of skill level, just using them as examples of WR's on perennial losers, who have used the 4th quarter to boost their overall stats.

I'm glad you put that disclaimer in at the end, otherwise I would have been forced to remind you that those guys couldn't carry Terry's jockstrap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Well.  His numbers were good (and you can use the argument that it doesn't matter when or how you get the numbers, as long as you get them), but Terry was on lockdown for 3 quarters and got his numbers when the game was out of hand.  Not as promising as it may seem.  You want a guy who gets numbers when the defense isn't backing off too.

Yeah I really want to start Terry but unfortunately I play in a league that only awards fantasy points for the first three quarters.  It sucks not getting anything for garbage time or two-minute drills in four-down territory, when the losing team tends to throw a lot and try to hit big plays :(

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Yeah I really want to start Terry but unfortunately I play in a league that only awards fantasy points for the first three quarters.  It sucks not getting anything for garbage time or two-minute drills in four-down territory, when the losing team tends to throw a lot and try to hit big plays :(

OK let me explain it to you.  If your guy gets shut down completely by a cover corner and only gets his points when it's garbage time, then it stands to reason that if the game were competitive until the end, he would have had a bad game.  Does that make sense?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

I'm not gonna overthink this one.  Chicago defense = good. Washington offense = bad. Terry = sit. 

14 hours ago, ginocan said:

Can’t believe I say this about a rookie WR. But he is a set it and forget it, until his Bye. 

Two different opinions. I am heading toward JJ’s side. 

I feel like the Chicago defense will put a lot of pressure on Case, which is going to kill Terry’s value. 

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

OK let me explain it to you.  If your guy gets shut down completely by a cover corner and only gets his points when it's garbage time, then it stands to reason that if the game were competitive until the end, he would have had a bad game.  Does that make sense?

good thing they are the redskins and not the patriots eh? but point taken. Just depends on how much risk you're willing to take 

Truth is, if you are worried about EVERY tough matchup this guy has, you probably shouldn't own such a risky asset. Based on some of the posts above, many will only be spot starting him three times this season. Why not wait until next season to add (in redraft) when you have a larger body of work? The owners who are picking him up and playing him week to week are the guys/gals who:

are desperate

or

believe he will produce solid numbers despite being a rookie

and

are not afraid to take chances

but

understand that there will be some growing pains along the way

yet

can still win games without depending on him to produce top 3 numbers every week. 

If he is functioning as your team's WR1, there is cause for concern. If he is your WR3, or WR4, fire him up and ride the wave until he reaches the shore and bubbles out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1