NBC Sports Edge Forums

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This comment intrigued me and I took a look at how the Bears have done against WR's while on the road, since the start of 2018... --Week 1 2018 @ GB: D.Adams: 5-88-1, Cobb: 9-142-1, Allison 5-69-1

His talent is unquestionable 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

you seemed to be grading him negatively for not "scoring a TD every week". Bugs was pointing out nobody does that. 

My point is his value might not ever be higher than it is right now. I would venture to bet his scoring average is propped up by TDs at the moment. Could definitely be wrong. 

Just now, LurkingFFPlayer said:

My point is his value might not ever be higher than it is right now. I would venture to bet his scoring average is propped up by TDs at the moment. Could definitely be wrong. 

he seems like he'll get consistent targets for a Washington offense that, while admittedly mediocre, will being playing from behind a LOT. Keenum trusts him and has the ability to make him valuable and if/when they move to the rookie backup they're moving to his college QB so I think he's covered from that front. He's not ready to step up as a WR1 or anything yet but I would be surprised to seem him maintain decent yardage totals with a good chance at a TD every week. Maybe a good bye week guy? I actually think he might be a bit more valuable later once he's maintained some value for a bit and the bye weeks kick in. 

That's a lot of prognostication though and rookie WRs definitely have a history of flashing then disappearing. I really like him however. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

That's a lot of prognostication though and rookie WRs definitely have a history of flashing then disappearing.

I don't see how he's going to flash and disappear, though. How many targets is this guy gonna steal from him?

Quinn_Trey.JPG?width=300

His volume should be pretty static despite having Jordan Reed play 8 games this year, and having to deal with Chris Thompson. Due to his situation, I think he has a very high floor for a fantasy receiver.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I don't see how he's going to flash and disappear, though. How many targets is this guy gonna steal from him?

Quinn_Trey.JPG?width=300

His volume should be pretty static despite having Jordan Reed play 8 games this year, and having to deal with Chris Thompson. Due to his situation, I think he has a very high floor for a fantasy receiver.

I would agree his floor appears to be decent. My team was weak at RB2 so I chose to have a better floor there, thus my trade. I wouldn't feel bad for holding on to this guy on my bench though. Could be a great keeper. 

31 minutes ago, LurkingFFPlayer said:

His scoring average in PPR is propped up by the fact that he’s gotten 7 and 9 targets with a high catch rate, 5 catches  in both games for more than 175 yards.  Take out the TDs and he’s still averaging more than 13 per game in PPR, which is pretty great for a waiver wire pickup WR3.  I see comparisons to Keenan Allen’s rookie year breakout.  Terry is a good route runner, runs a variety of routes, and has good hands.  Barring injury to Terry or Keenum, and I think he’ll be consistent at this level.

Another comp is AJ Green rookie year, simply because Jay Gruden was his OC then and Terry's Head Coach now and they were both rookies.  While he doesn't have the draft pedigree as AJ, Jay did say Terry is a first round talent, based on hindsight.  AJ Green had over a 1000 yards receiving and 7 TDs his rookie year as the clear #1 WR.  Terry is not as polished as AJ but will be forcefed the ball, because he's the best talent they got and it also makes the front office look better (they have been widely panned).  Jay is also believed to be coaching for his job and will do whatever it takes scheme wise to get the ball to his best playmakers.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, rocket said:

Another comp is AJ Green rookie year, simply because Jay Gruden was his OC then and Terry's Head Coach now and they were both rookies.  While he doesn't have the draft pedigree as AJ, Jay did say Terry is a first round talent, based on hindsight.  AJ Green had over a 1000 yards receiving and 7 TDs his rookie year as the clear #1 WR.  Terry is not as polished as AJ but will be forcefed the ball, because he's the best talent they got and it also makes the front office look better (they have been widely panned).  Jay is also believed to be coaching for his job and will do whatever it takes scheme wise to get the ball to his best playmakers.

I thought about this and think that's the next best comp. AJ is much taller and stronger, though. However, Terry at this very early stage in his NFL career already seems to be a slightly better route runner than AJ was in his first couple games. I still think worse Antonio Brown is a pretty money, far better comparison.

Scary McLaurin looks really good, I can’t wait to see him play Monday night. I can’t start him yet, but I’m definitely glad to have picked him up before someone else did. I Was undecided between him and Chark, but decided on Terry because he’s in a better situation. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

The targets are there . Skins pass alot as well. 

ps

WHY does he share the same nickname "Scary Terry" as Terry Rozier? 

Better question is, why does Terry Rozier share the same nickname as our boy here ?!! 

p.s just messin around , Rozier had it like a year or two ago. Far as I know

6 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Better question is, why does Terry Rozier share the same nickname as our boy here ?!! 

p.s just messin around , Rozier had it like a year or two ago. Far as I know

Yeah for a handful of good playoff games Michael Jordan handed him 60 Million off that nickname alone probably 😂

Would be pretty awesome if he has another big game tonight 

Edited by NyZD
1 minute ago, NyZD said:

Yeah for a handful of good playoff games Michael Jordan handed him 60 Million off that nickname alone probably 😂

Would be pretty awesome if he has another big game tonight 

I’m sure losing Kemba forced his hand somewhat. But make no mistake , hes definitely talented , needs starter minutes to shine. Off the bench confidence wasn’t there, still young thats why.  Back on topic , sorry yall. Back to the real Scary Terry !! Let’s see what he does tonight. Huge test for him today against this Chicago D . I know we’re all rooting for him 

On 9/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, Corleone said:

This comment intrigued me and I took a look at how the Bears have done against WR's while on the road, since the start of 2018...

--Week 1 2018 @ GB: D.Adams: 5-88-1, Cobb: 9-142-1, Allison 5-69-1
--Week 3 2018 @ ARI: Fitzgerald: 2-9-0 [this was the last start for Sam Bradford; he was benched during the game for Josh Rosen]
--Week 6 2018 @ MIA: A.Wilson: 6-155-2, Amendola: 8-59-0 [this was with Brock Osweiller starting]
--Week 9 2018 @ BUF: K.Benjamin: 4-40-0 [this was with Nathan Peterman starting]
--Week 12 2018 @ DET: Golladay: 5-90-0
--Week 13 2018 @ NYG: OBJ: 3-35-1
--Week 16 2018 @ WAS: Goodwin: 3-29-0 [this was with Nick Mullens starting]
--Week 17 2018 @ MIN: Diggs: 8-47-1, Thielen: 3-38-0
--Week 1 2019 @ DEN: E.Sanders: 11-98-1

So overall, the Bears have had their problems on the road against opposing primary WR's.
In 6 of their last 9 road games, they allowed at least 90 yards OR a TD (and in some cases, both) to the primary WR.
In the 3 games they shut down the primary WR, they were facing Bradford/Rosen, Peterman and Mullens. Plus, BUF & SF had no good primary WR.

So I agree with your comment about the Bears D.

This doesn't mean McLaurin is destined to have a good game by any means, but it also shows there's reason to think he's not an automatic bench either.

MVP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

This is one of those guys that's going to score points but because of his situation is borderline unstartable if you have even a somewhat reasonable alternative at the position. With that said, this week might be as good as any to fire him up.

Unstartable?  In PPR he was WR13 week 1, WR20 week 2, WR17 week 3, and overall the 10th ranked receiver so far on the year.  He also has more targets than Juju, Amari Cooper, and Davante Adams.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

This is one of those guys that's going to score points but because of his situation is borderline unstartable if you have even a somewhat reasonable alternative at the position. With that said, this week might be as good as any to fire him up.

I’m sorry what in the world are you talking about?

• Like 5
Just now, hines said:

I’m sorry what in the world are you talking about?

I have him at WR3 with a viable weekly option and I have a hard time starting him over the other guy because he seems to rely on garbage-time scores. He's just not a comfortable start for me, but I could see myself playing him this week.

16 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The situation being his target share, his snaps, playing from behind, or that your loaded at receiver?

How many weeks does he need to produce as a WR1/2. Rotoblurb calls him a WR3.

Nice target share, massive amount of snaps, heavy end zone usage. There is nothing not to like here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1