Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

Yeah it does. The QB matters VERY much when evaluating a rookie WRs fantasy Outlook. 

 

Yeah it does what ? I didn't ask any question .  I merely said he's a must start against the Giants this week, regardless who's QB. Obviously moving forward you need to evaluate his situation with much closer eyes. But,  Keenum & Haskins to a lesser extent I'm quite comfortable with. Colt McCoy not so much

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This comment intrigued me and I took a look at how the Bears have done against WR's while on the road, since the start of 2018... --Week 1 2018 @ GB: D.Adams: 5-88-1, Cobb: 9-142-1, Allison 5-69-1

His talent is unquestionable 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

 

Yeah it does what ? I didn't ask any question .  I merely said he's a must start against the Giants this week, regardless who's QB. Obviously moving forward you need to evaluate his situation with much closer eyes. But,  Keenum & Haskins to a lesser extent I'm quite comfortable with. Colt McCoy not so much

 

You said it doesn't matter who's under center. 

 

I said yeah it does. 

 

I agree with your take on the order of QBs though. If colt is QB I probably just try to trade him before anyone sees his first 2 catch for 30 yard game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

You said it doesn't matter who's under center. 

 

I said yeah it does. 

 

I agree with your take on the order of QBs though. If colt is QB I probably just try to trade him before anyone sees his first 2 catch for 30 yard game. 

How long do you think Colt is gonna be the QB bro

Not a sustainable thing for any period of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

You said it doesn't matter who's under center. 

 

I said yeah it does. 

 

I agree with your take on the order of QBs though. If colt is QB I probably just try to trade him before anyone sees his first 2 catch for 30 yard game. 

If he's coaching to keep his job, what coach ever increased that likelihood by playing Colt McCoy?

I get the whole, conservative play the vet mentality, but there's a limit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Proud Terry owner. I don't think he's as strong a start this week as some may think. More of a high-end WR3. Why?

Giants have been terrible against the pass this year. Again, why? A lot of that had to do with Deandre Baker, the first cornerback off the board this year, and his usage. Notorious moron James Bettcher, the Giants DC, was playing Baker way off the line for the first 2 weeks of the season, despite the fact that Baker's elite press coverage skills were, like, the entire reason he was the top corner in his class. To nobody's surprise, he got obliterated. Last game, he was allowed to bump-and-run. He mostly spent time on Chris Godwin, who he held to 40 yards, and he played excellent.

Do you have a better player to start than Terry this week? I doubt it. But this matchup is not as ideal as it seems, and it's a road divisional game. Just be prepared.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Proud Terry owner. I don't think he's as strong a start this week as some may think. More of a high-end WR3. Why?

Giants have been terrible against the pass this year. Again, why? A lot of that had to do with Deandre Baker, the first cornerback off the board this year, and his usage. Notorious moron James Bettcher, the Giants DC, was playing Baker way off the line for the first 2 weeks of the season, despite the fact that Baker's elite press coverage skills were, like, the entire reason he was the top corner in his class. To nobody's surprise, he got obliterated. Last game, he was allowed to bump-and-run. He mostly spent time on Chris Godwin, who he held to 40 yards, and he played excellent.

Do you have a better player to start than Terry this week? I doubt it. But this matchup is not as ideal as it seems, and it's a road divisional game. Just be prepared.

Wouldn't they allow JJ to "put the shackles on him" while the rook covered Richardson?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Wouldn't they allow JJ to "put the shackles on him" while the rook covered Richardson?

You know I thought the Giants identified Godwin as the #1 for Tampa, but looking at the usage for the first 2 games, you're probably right. They'll probably try to have Jenkins on Terry. WR2?

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

You know I thought the Giants identified Godwin as the #1 for Tampa, but looking at the usage for the first 2 games, you're probably right. They'll probably try to have Jenkins on Baker. WR2?

It'd be wrong to project what other #1s have done against them on to Scarrence, I concur, expectations should be tempered, particularly if Keenum can't go.

I'll change my projection of 17-212-3 to a more modest 7-150-2.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

You said it doesn't matter who's under center. 

 

I said yeah it does. 

 

I agree with your take on the order of QBs though. If colt is QB I probably just try to trade him before anyone sees his first 2 catch for 30 yard game. 

 

YES against the Giants it doesn't matter who is QB for WAS , that's my take . Rest of the season is another story 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

... or it could be a thinly veiled injury "sit" (wink wink) for Case by Gruden ... tossing the rook in vs a verrrrrrry suspect defense is a great way to get the tootsies wet 🤷‍♂️

True, NYG would be a good first start for the rookie.  But if you commit to him there, you have to stick with him the next week, too... New England.  Personally, I'd keep him on the bench a while longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JJ1223 said:

True, NYG would be a good first start for the rookie.  But if you commit to him there, you have to stick with him the next week, too... New England.  Personally, I'd keep him on the bench a while longer.

My impression from watching Haskins in college was that he was the most pro ready QB of the group.  But it sounds like he hasn't looked the part so far.  I'm surprised, honestly I was suspecting a Day 1 starter.

That said, you may be right, if you're looking at dates to make the change, maybe the following week in Miami?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

Proud Terry owner. I don't think he's as strong a start this week as some may think. More of a high-end WR3. Why?

Giants have been terrible against the pass this year. Again, why? A lot of that had to do with Deandre Baker, the first cornerback off the board this year, and his usage. Notorious moron James Bettcher, the Giants DC, was playing Baker way off the line for the first 2 weeks of the season, despite the fact that Baker's elite press coverage skills were, like, the entire reason he was the top corner in his class. To nobody's surprise, he got obliterated. Last game, he was allowed to bump-and-run. He mostly spent time on Chris Godwin, who he held to 40 yards, and he played excellent.

Do you have a better player to start than Terry this week? I doubt it. But this matchup is not as ideal as it seems, and it's a road divisional game. Just be prepared.

"Scary Terry" is a burner, hopefully they'll leave Baker 1 on 1 with him. All it takes is one double move for a 50 yard touchdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

"Scary Terry" is a burner, hopefully they'll leave Baker 1 on 1 with him. All it takes is one double move for a 50 yard touchdown.

One of his few weaknesses is that he can be bumped off of routes pretty easily, though. Jenkins is also good at playing press. Probably doesn't matter too much who he sees, and I don't think the Giants have been asking either to shadow. But Terry will probably either get killed by press and be taken out of the game, or get past these guys and burn them for big numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My impression from watching Haskins in college was that he was the most pro ready QB of the group.  But it sounds like he hasn't looked the part so far.  I'm surprised, honestly I was suspecting a Day 1 starter.

That said, you may be right, if you're looking at dates to make the change, maybe the following week in Miami?

Haskins only got 13 starts in college.  Guys like Trubisky, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez are the only 1st round QBs drafted before this year who started a single year in college.  It's really risky to throw such an inexperienced guy out there behind this Offensive line, his confidence and mechanics could get shot.  Even Baker Mayfield, who looked so good at the end of last year, is playing poorly in part because the pass rush is getting to him.  The Redskins need to be patient, because Haskins could turn in someone like David Carr if they don't.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocket said:

Haskins only got 13 starts in college.  Guys like Trubisky, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez are the only 1st round QBs drafted before this year who started a single year in college.  It's really risky to throw such an inexperienced guy out there behind this Offensive line, his confidence and mechanics could get shot.  Even Baker Mayfield, who looked so good at the end of last year, is playing poorly in part because the pass rush is getting to him.  The Redskins need to be patient, because Haskins could turn in someone like David Carr if they don't.

Maybe they shouldn't ignore their olineman's healthcare needs...

But of course it's Bruce Allen so denying healthcare runs in the family.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rocket said:

Haskins only got 13 starts in college.  Guys like Trubisky, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez are the only 1st round QBs drafted before this year who started a single year in college.  It's really risky to throw such an inexperienced guy out there behind this Offensive line, his confidence and mechanics could get shot.  Even Baker Mayfield, who looked so good at the end of last year, is playing poorly in part because the pass rush is getting to him.  The Redskins need to be patient, because Haskins could turn in someone like David Carr if they don't.

Dunno about the other two (Trubisky looked like a loser and is, Cam looked great and was if we're accounting for his rushing ability), but Sanchez is a pretty great example of what could be. He looked like a pretty solid pick at 5th overall, but he was never any good and we were probably in large part fooled by the elite team he had around him in college. Haskins was in a very similar situation. And I was listening to the radio call last week and thought that it was idiotic that they were clamoring for Haskins to be put in because of how bad Keenum was playing. Sticking him in against the Bears would've been a horrible idea; totally agreed on giving him a year if possible and trying to make the line less terrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Godeep said:

I hope Keenum can go, I wanted to start McLaurin this week over my usual starter due to a bad matchup, looking like if it’s colt I gotta go with the bad matchup...

As long as he is getting targets he will produce, dont overthink this stuff.  Colt is an nfl qb, he can get him the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"On Wednesday, Redskins starting quarterback Case Keenum missed practice with a foot injury. Also on Wednesday, one of the team's backup quarterbacks, Colt McCoy, made his return from a broken leg he suffered last season. He was listed as practicing in full, though the team only held a walkthrough rather than a full session. But according to Redskins coach Jay Gruden, if Keenum is unable to play on Sunday, it wouldn't be McCoy who would take over as the team's new starter -- it would be Haskins. However, Gruden also said that he expects Keenum to play on Sunday, which makes Haskins unlikely to start (told you not to get your hopes up)."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colt-mccoy-returns-to-practice-as-foot-injury-sidelines-redskins-starter-case-keenum/

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not so infatuated with Terry, however productive he’s been so far, to think a QB changed couldn’t adversely affect his per game stats. Not every highly drafted rookie QB is Mahomes; most follow Murray’s path. Up and down, good games bad games, but typically a bit inaccurate though could be elevated by rushing or a high volume offense. 

The thing that makes me feel good is that he played with Haskins in college.  While Terry didn’t have a high target share at OU he was extremely efficient and made plays after the catch resulting in tds. Hopefully that would translate to the field, the comfortability, preexisting connection and timing. 

Fingers crossed should Haskins get in the game. I do know that Colt McCoy is bad for all Redskins skill players fantasy-wise. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Proud Terry owner. I don't think he's as strong a start this week as some may think. More of a high-end WR3. Why?

Giants have been terrible against the pass this year. Again, why? A lot of that had to do with Deandre Baker, the first cornerback off the board this year, and his usage. Notorious moron James Bettcher, the Giants DC, was playing Baker way off the line for the first 2 weeks of the season, despite the fact that Baker's elite press coverage skills were, like, the entire reason he was the top corner in his class. To nobody's surprise, he got obliterated. Last game, he was allowed to bump-and-run. He mostly spent time on Chris Godwin, who he held to 40 yards, and he played excellent.

Do you have a better player to start than Terry this week? I doubt it. But this matchup is not as ideal as it seems, and it's a road divisional game. Just be prepared.

 

Interesting points. But a couple of points going the other way. 

1- How do you know Baker will cover Terry? The Giants left Jenkins on Evans, the best Bucs WR, all game. How do we know the Giants won't have Jenkins on Terry? 

2- I watched the highlights of the game and Winston/Leftwich seemed pretty dead set on feeding Evans all game. His TDs were pretty clearly Winston's first reads. So while we could attribute Godwin's down week to Baker, it could have just been the Bucs exploiting an even better matchup on the other side of the field.

3- Godwin played the whole game but he has been limited in practice due to a hip injury. It's safe to assume that injury happened at some point during the game and could be the reason he didn't have a big game (3 for 40 on only 4 targets is still pretty efficient). 

 

I am not all in on Terry this week. He's a rookie WR and rookie WRs don't usually put up consistent fantasy numbers. But the Giants defense has been awful in just about every facet of the game so even if Baker is improved thanks to press coverage, if the other members of the defense aren't doing their jobs, even a top tier CB is going to have trouble against a good WR (assuming Terry is actually good). 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Interesting points. But a couple of points going the other way. 

1- How do you know Baker will cover Terry? The Giants left Jenkins on Evans, the best Bucs WR, all game. How do we know the Giants won't have Jenkins on Terry? 

2- I watched the highlights of the game and Winston/Leftwich seemed pretty dead set on feeding Evans all game. His TDs were pretty clearly Winston's first reads. So while we could attribute Godwin's down week to Baker, it could have just been the Bucs exploiting an even better matchup on the other side of the field.

3- Godwin played the whole game but he has been limited in practice due to a hip injury. It's safe to assume that injury happened at some point during the game and could be the reason he didn't have a big game (3 for 40 on only 4 targets is still pretty efficient). 

 

I am not all in on Terry this week. He's a rookie WR and rookie WRs don't usually put up consistent fantasy numbers. But the Giants defense has been awful in just about every facet of the game so even if Baker is improved thanks to press coverage, if the other members of the defense aren't doing their jobs, even a top tier CB is going to have trouble against a good WR (assuming Terry is actually good). 

We already went over this. Evans did nothing until last week, but the Giants clearly thought he was their #1 (and he proved it by destroying Jenkins) and in every other week he was very obviously seeing more of the #1. They'll stick Jenkins on Terry when they can.

And again, my point is that the Giants have been the best defense in the league for opposing WRs to take on to date. They're bad. They're not that bad now that they've potentially stopped scheming Baker like a bunch of morons, and the fact that it's a divisional road game is important. Terry is still probably a WR2 this week to my eyes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...