NBC Sports EDGE Forums

T.J. Warren 2019-2020 Outlook

Trench Mob

T.J. Warren (right hip bruise) practiced on Thursday and said he'll play on Saturday against the Cavs.

Warren took a tough spill during Wednesday's opener and was forced out of the game during the fourth quarter, but it sounds like he sustained nothing more than a bruise and should be good to go on Saturday. Check back for official confirmation on his status closer to Saturday's tip.

• Thanks 1

TJ was incredibly efficient for my squad last year before the head injury derailed his season (BUT NOT MINE ;)). 

I had to drop him to make some adjustments to my roster, but I want to see how a little more from him and another comp like Thad Young, and how they handle their new spots.

Can anyone who watched the pacers this past week shed some more light on why he's playing so bad? I'm in a weekly points league and lineups lock Monday at the start of the first game and need to know if I should roll the dice with him, his first two games were horrific for me. 

There's so much to like about his situation - chip on his shoulder, front office hyping him up, heavy minutes a team that lacks elite playmaking (they don't have a true pass-first PG, which is good for Warren who works with the ball in his hands). It's strange we haven't seen him unleashed like he was in preseason, but his per-game value is off the charts when he's on so I'm giving him a long leash.

The injuries, though. I guess that's why he slipped to the 11th in my league, and why I like holding him as a risk/reward bench piece.

2 minutes ago, mattshhh said:

There's so much to like about his situation - chip on his shoulder, front office hyping him up, heavy minutes a team that lacks elite playmaking (they don't have a true pass-first PG, which is good for Warren who works with the ball in his hands). It's strange we haven't seen him unleashed like he was in preseason, but his per-game value is off the charts when he's on so I'm giving him a long leash.

The injuries, though. I guess that's why he slipped to the 11th in my league, and why I like holding him as a risk/reward bench piece.

Brogdon is averaging 10.5 assists tho lol. Buy low on Warren tho, he's too good to play like this, 4 games next week (cross fingers)

7 hours ago, mattshhh said:

Sounds like you have never seen TJ Warren play in Phoenix. Last year he was one of the best players in the league in points per touch. He doesn't need the ball in his hands at all. He's a finisher, not a playmaker/creator. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:50 AM, sickrookie said:

Shocked he’s so bad. Drop worthy to me. So many empty boxes with those heavy minutes. His value may have inflated as suns stretch 4. I don’t want 20 points with hollow line. If there’s a hot FA I can’t miss I’ll just pull the trigger. 

He is an efficient pure scorer with great percentages on volume and a steal and a little over a half a block.  He is not hollow.

And the volume has been there.  He is a career 49.7% shooter and is only shooting 40% currently.  His value was not inflated by the Suns.  He is just not hitting his shots.  But he will and the steals will come too. 

Nowhere near drop worthy unless you were expecting assists which he has never and never will provide.  Not his game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

He is an efficient pure scorer with great percentages on volume and a steal and a little over a half a block.  He is not hollow.

And the volume has been there.  He is a career 49.7% shooter and is only shooting 40% currently.  His value was not inflated by the Suns.  He is just not hitting his shots.  But he will and the steals will come too. 

Nowhere near drop worthy unless you were expecting assists which he has never and never will provide.  Not his game.

I dont think you are watching how the Pacers play.

He is isolated in the offense. TJ is just standing in the corner waiting to get an open shot so he can spread the floor for Sabonis and Turner.  He doesnt have the ball in his hands, everything goes through Brogdon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snatch said:

I dont think you are watching how the Pacers play.

He is isolated in the offense. TJ is just standing in the corner waiting to get an open shot so he can spread the floor for Sabonis and Turner.  He doesnt have the ball in his hands, everything goes through Brogdon.

True I haven’t watched the Pacers play yet this season. But I am not worried about what you are describing. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands like a point guard to score. That is not his game. He is a crafty slasher with a great mid range and since last year has a three ball to go with it.

If he wasn’t getting shots I would worry. But he is averaging 13.5 shots so far. He is just not making them like normal. If they keep passing him the ball, he will find a way to score.

This is what he is capable of in this offense. He will start making his shots.

1 hour ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

True I haven’t watched the Pacers play yet this season. But I am not worried about what you are describing. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands like a point guard to score. That is not his game. He is a crafty slasher with a great mid range and since last year has a three ball to go with it.

If he wasn’t getting shots I would worry. But he is averaging 13.5 shots so far. He is just not making them like normal. If they keep passing him the ball, he will find a way to score.

This is what he is capable of in this offense. He will start making his shots.

Dude, you should still watch them play before you make your arguments.

Youtube highlights from a preseason game will show you very little about the actual situation.

TJ is a cutter yes, but he is also a pick n roll player, and a guy that needs screens to move for the cut. Turner and Sabonis are screening for Brogdon only. TJ is ignored completely, he is being used exactly as a 3&D guy like hes Trevor Ariza.

Edited by Snatch

7 minutes ago, Snatch said:

Dude, you should still watch them play before you make your arguments.

Youtube highlights from a preseason game will show you very little about the actual situation.

TJ is a cutter yes, but he is also a pick n roll player, and a guy that needs screens to move for the cut. Turner and Sabonis are screening for Brogdon only. TJ is ignored completely, he is being used exactly as a 3&D guy like hes Trevor Ariza.

Who cares if it was just highlights.  What it shows is the dude can get buckets on this team and again he averaged 13.5 shots the first two and has hit zero threes.  That will change.

But if they are using him completely wrong like you are saying and he is being ignored completely, guess what, it has only been 2 games.  Plenty of time for things to change.  So we will see.

He’s played 2 games on a new team , new coach, new city ...these guys aren’t robots . He’s still figuring out his rhythm on the team, where he will get his shots, how to play with his new teammates.. I’ve learned to give these situations at least 10 games or so before making any kind of decisions. TJ is a career bucket getter and once him and his team figure it out he will be fine..they paid him to score so they will figure it out .

he’s played in about 263 NBA games..

7300 minutes

3100 fga 

1500 fgm 

career 49.7% fg

hes 26 years old just hitting his prime. It’s statistically just a matter of time!

The pacers did not bring him over to be just another body out there..they need him to get buckets to win games!

its coming ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to T.J. Warren 2019-2020 Outlook