NBC Sports Edge Forums

Preston Williams 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Bronco Billy said:

Geez. Looks like I put a pin in this balloon.  Sorry guys, that wasn’t the intent.  The guy still has some huge potential.  He’s just further away than he looked earlier and has some things he needs to fix to climb up to where he can be.

No pin in my balloon.   

He’s a talented rookie-  there’s going to be moments of brilliance and disappointment.  Even blue chip elite WRs rarely hit the ground running week 1 rookie season.  

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No specific injury is listed because, in truth, he’s actually not hurt. The Dolphins are suspending him for playing too well and ruining their chance at the #1 pick.

Very few rookies come into the league with such a weak depth chart in front of them. I think the kid has a real opportunity. With the last pick in your draft, is it really a big deal if you take

If he gets heavily targeted again today and splashes in the end zone, you will find it challenging to get him through waivers.  Roster him now, people!  Let's get this train out of the station!

While I was not excited with how Williams played last night, I was encouraged by the fact Miami was obviously trying to give him the opportunities...which is half the battle when one is trying to make the squad/over take a position.

The other half of that battle is to produce when given the opportunity, which is where Williams' dropped the ball. I definitely would've liked to have seen him come away with that poor throw on the sideline, and he certainly could have made a better attempt/displayed better body control on the underthrown deep ball, but again, he is at least being given the opportunity.

While I am hopeful, due to his overall college numbers: 96/1345/14, his conversion of 96 receptions on 175 targets seems to be exactly what is on display at this time. He must improve on that 55% catch rate. *disclaimer: I do not know the stats related to drops, or poorly thrown balls.

Notable conversion rates for starting NFL WRs in 2018:

MThomas = 82.9%

AThielen = 73.9%

JEdelman = 69.9%

DHopkins = 69.4%

BCooks = 68.8%

JJones = 66.5%

DAdams = 65.7%

RWoods = 65.2%

*disclaimer: see previous disclaimer.

17 hours ago, ss3walkman said:

No different than having multiple running backs in case one goes down or in hopes someone else’s running back goes down. Or drafting two TE’s. To each their own.

actually big difference, because those are players that you are drafting with the intention of dropping if they don't show in the first week or 2. whereas in Williams case you're talking about a 8 week stash.  the point is, he doesn't warrant a bench spot at this point, unless you are in the deepest of leagues and even then it is probably debatable

• 2 weeks later...

'phins primed to pull off what will be a virtually impossible feat to duplicate: the only franchise to go both undefeated (17-0 in '72) and winless (0-16 in 2019).

gonna be tougher to break than Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no- nos for the Cincinatti RedStockings Baseball Club back in the late 1930s. 

aysfkm Dolphim mgmnt?

Preston is a decent pickup with Stills out of the picture. If dolphins are behind and slinging it a lot he could quietly rack up surprising numbers. They said he was the best WR in camp. Also has the size of a redzone threat. Just dropped a lot of crockett and ajayi for him today. I'd still prefer a James Washington but when the pickins are slim there's a ton of upside here.

Edited by automatica21
1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

'phins primed to pull off what will be a virtually impossible feat to duplicate: the only franchise to go both undefeated (17-0 in '72) and winless (0-16 in 2019).

gonna be tougher to break than Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no- nos for the Cincinatti RedStockings Baseball Club back in the late 1930s. 

aysfkm Dolphim mgmnt?

Here is the schedule for all you defense streamers out there. Bills on there twice, pats, colts on there too

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2019/REG/Dolphins

• 2 weeks later...

No talk after game 1?  He started.  He is in a good situation - bad team that will start him and will be trailing games. He might get a fair amount of garbage yards and TDs. HE has a fair path be a top-30 fantasy WR  Maybe even better.  1000+ yards and 8+ TDs is not out of the question the way the season will go for his team. 

Edited by nine9s

This could be the last week to sneak away with this potential fantasy star. As the poster above said, the kid will be playing garbage time football weekly. I can foresee a situation where he feasts on soft coverages, racking up 80 catches for 1,000 yards or so.

• Like 1

I drafted him in the very late rounds of a 12 team league. He's a dynasty grab for sure, but in redraft I'm holding and hoping Miami will show some pride and play some football and not get steam rolled like they did this week. I would imagine the entire team is demoralized right now and in fact some want traded out of there. QB FitzTragic (so far) needs to step up but the defense needs to show some heart and not give up so easily. I have been a Miami fan since age 12 and this is really the worst I have seen of them. That said, Preston is a talented WR that may prove to be a WW gem as he grows into the role of Miami's WR #1. The drops don't worry me yet, he just needs to get comfortable as an NFL WR.

16 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

What's the best WR statistical season ever for a team that finished dead last?  Anyone know off the top of their head or have some candidates?

I'm all for garbage time goodness but if the team is truly terrible, I wonder if that will cap everything.

I'm gonna try to answer my own question.

2018 - Arizona Cardinals.  Best WR = Larry Fitzgerald - 734 yards / 6 tds

2017 - Cleveland Browns.  Best WR = Ricardo Lewis - 357 yards / 0 tds (yuck)

2016 - Cleveland Browns.  Best WR - Terrelle Pryor - 1007 yards / 4  tds

2015 - Cleveland Browns (tie with Tenn).  Best WR = Travis Benjamin - 966 yds / 5 tds (Note - TE Gary Barnidge went for over 1k yards)

2015 - Tennessee Titans.  Best WR = Dorial Green Beckham - 549 yards / 4 tds (Note - TE Delanie Walker went for over 1k yards)

2014 - Tennesse Titans - Again, Delanie Walker led the team.

Make of this what you will.  Just putting info out there.

(Note - I did do some clicking around on stats of teams that were not the worst in the league, but were pretty bad.  On occasion I did see some big receiver years, such as TY Hilton in 2016 and some Odell years when the Giants were bad.  So it's possible.  Just doesn't seem likely...and those guys were superstars.)

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I'm gonna try to answer my own question.

2018 - Arizona Cardinals.  Best WR = Larry Fitzgerald - 734 yards / 6 tds

2017 - Cleveland Browns.  Best WR = Ricardo Lewis - 357 yards / 0 tds (yuck)

2016 - Cleveland Browns.  Best WR - Terrelle Pryor - 1007 yards / 4  tds

2015 - Cleveland Browns (tie with Tenn).  Best WR = Travis Benjamin - 966 yds / 5 tds (Note - TE Gary Barnidge went for over 1k yards)

2015 - Tennessee Titans.  Best WR = Dorial Green Beckham - 549 yards / 4 tds (Note - TE Delanie Walker went for over 1k yards)

2014 - Tennesse Titans - Again, Delanie Walker led the team.

Make of this what you will.  Just putting info out there.

What do u make of it Browns?

You’re a smart 🍪- let’s hear it

Just now, Impreza178 said:

I believe it.    RZ weapon this season.   

Yeah four or five RZ scores plus a few slants taken to the house in garbage time is more realistic right now imo than consistent yards every week...but u never know. He is definitely talented.

• Like 1

Wilson is an interesting guy. He was the 2015 Scout.com #1 overall 5 star WR recruit out of high school. Originally went to Tennessee but was kicked off the team for an altercation with his girlfriend. 1,300 yards and 14TDs at CSU his junior year. With his snaps increasing to 70% last week he’s gotta be the #1 WR pickup in deeper leagues. This situation reminds me a lot of Tyrell Williams breakout year. UDFA rookie getting the opportunity to break out.