NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, vthokie3 said:

Well yeah but I feel like most of assumed Hyde would go and Darwin would be the two but bringing in Shady who Reid trusts pushes Darwin back to the 3 spot

This. Would've totally taken Darwin as one of the highest upside guys in a PPR league in the back half of a draft. Now? I have no idea what the split will be between Williams and McCoy, but I would expect that they're splitting about 85%+ of the touches in some fashion. Darwin is an easy drop at this stage.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's called a pimp limp. That's the way I walk into work on Monday mornings

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I didn't draft Darwin but I would be very hesitant to straight out drop him right now

Same. Worth a hold while the dust settles. Could you imagine they pull a fast one and actually demote Damian Williams? The thing is- who knows? Backfield.still so unsettled

Absolutely holding right now.  The McCoy addition doesn’t change my position that he has enough talent and ability to get meaningful work in the NFL.  I want to see how this muddy picture shakes out.

I’d say the McCoy addition makes a definitive statement about how KC views Williams though.

6 hours ago, k1ng said:

Serious question. When was the last time shady played a full season healthy? 

He doesn't have to though. He may end up just spelling Damien Williams, but either way, it just feels like curtains for Darwin. Sure, he's still got potential to blow up, but it's looking like next year rather than this.

I think I'd be looking elsewhere for my lottery ticket anyway, but as it happens I have Dalvin Cook so it's something of a no-brainer for me. Mattison's an intriguing alternative.

• Like 1

Two days ago:

"LeSean McCoy is old, lost his burst, his speed has faded with age and that's what made him special.  Darwin will have Williams job due to injury/ineffectiveness by week six."

Now:

"LeSean McCoy will be an all-pro this year and Darwin can safely be cut in dynasty leagues immediately."

I guess I'm the crazy one for waiting for at least one week of NFL games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, oban14 said:

Two days ago:

"LeSean McCoy is old, lost his burst, his speed has faded with age and that's what made him special.  Darwin will have Williams job due to injury/ineffectiveness by week six."

Now:

"LeSean McCoy will be an all-pro this year and Darwin can safely be cut in dynasty leagues immediately."

You aren’t “crazy” for waiting but in that one week lots of players blow up and if you still have some upside picks in waivers that you could get now you would be better off doing that over keeping Thompson. That’s the main point here. Once they blow up week 1 unless your number 1 in waiver claims you can forget about it. Or injuries if there’s still any good backup rbs left that are available I would jump on that. Someone always goes down week 1.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Two days ago:

Now:

Who said anything close to any of the “Now” points?

For a keeper league I’d definitely hold...even for a redraft personally I’d wait a week to see what happens...Williams might flop and give the backup job to Darwin...Shady is old, maybe he gets hurt. He’s a stallion and I doubt that but you never know...KC still LOVES this guy-I think they're going to give him a chance to do something...I think patience is required for now...

I think in 10 team leagues, you could potentially drop if there's another lottery ticket-type out there you want to gamble on, but I also understand the argument for wanting to hold for now. Obviously, McCoy's presence on the roster puts a damper on Thompson's immediate outlook. McCoy didn't get 3M guaranteed to NOT have some sort of a role in their offense. That said, McCoy hasn't played for Andy Reid in years, and while he might "know the offense", I'm sure there's a lot of nuances and whatnot that's changed where Shady might need a week or two to get up to speed, so perhaps Thompson could have some value Week 1.

The bigger question is how long do you hold Thompson if that's your play. McCoy looked close to being washed last year and the Bills used a third round pick on his replacement, but KC is obviously a superior offense with massive upgrades across the board compared to Buffalo. If Shady is averaging close to 3 YPC again this year with better everything around him, maybe they reduce his role in the offense, but how long is that going to take where you tie up a roster spot with Thompson on your bench?

34 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

You aren’t “crazy” for waiting but in that one week lots of players blow up and if you still have some upside picks in waivers that you could get now you would be better off doing that over keeping Thompson. That’s the main point here. Once they blow up week 1 unless your number 1 in waiver claims you can forget about it. Or injuries if there’s still any good backup rbs left that are available I would jump on that. Someone always goes down week 1.

Most people drafted Darwin in rounds 7-10. He's probably not the most expendable guy on most people's bench.

7 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Most people drafted Darwin in rounds 7-10. He's probably not the most expendable guy on most people's bench.

It doesn't matter where a running back was drafted 24 hours ago. McCoy is there, and it completely changes the outlook on Darwin. You do what helps your team win. If there is a player on the wire that has more value today than Thompson does, you add them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

It doesn't matter where a running back was drafted 24 hours ago. McCoy is there, and it completely changes the outlook on Darwin. You do what helps your team win. If there is a player on the wire that has more value today than Thompson does, you add them.

Thats fine but I doubt there's anyone on the wire in 12 teamers right now that is better than Darwin. If a major injury occurs than that changes things. Darwin is no different right now than Henderson or Brown on the Rams. A lotto ticket on an elite offense.