Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's called a pimp limp. That's the way I walk into work on Monday mornings

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SGagne said:

 

I'd rather have the quick back versus the bruiser back in this system. But if what Andy said is holding true about needing to learn his assignments better he has work to do. 

I understand. I think both will have value and a role is all my point is. I don't think Darwin just runs away with the job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'll come in here and eat crow on Monday but as long as McCoy plays I just don't see Darwin doing much. With no byes yet you'd have to be pretty desperate at RB to even consider rolling him out there. 

There’s nothing for you to eat crow on come Monday. It’s not like anyone is starting him unless they’re in a deep league. People are holding as a flier for the future simple as that. There’s nothing wrong with putting a guy on the end of your bench if you have room to see what happens. Not sure why so many people have such a problem trying to grasp this concept. It seems as though the shallow leaguers are the most confused. Deep leaguers, keepers and dynasty owners all know why he is on their rosters. 

- when a player is hyped it’s always wise to put in context according to your league size/roster size. I see all too many times in these threads a player is hyped more for deep leagues yet shallow leaguers start adding them only to get upset when they don’t produce as a top 100 type player. 

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

Some analysts say Darrel Williams is the short term pickup and not darwin

Certainly could be since we're all guessing.  Just don't see the upside with Darrel absent goalline carries (which he very well could get).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what the score was when Darrel entered the game?

Asking seriously...

 

If it was a tight game, then Darrel could be next man up now...

If the game was way in favor of the Chiefs then Reid could have been getting him reps in a game that was in the bag and conserving Darwin because of the nature of the DWill injury...in any event talent trumps all in the Chiefs system and I think Darwin is going to be a major contributor behind an already injured journeyman and an inj prone veteran in McCoy...I think the backfield ends up being Darwin and Darrel 70/30 by mideseason due to history of other backs and talent...keep Darwin for now ...and for later...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good read here about the KC v BAL matchup that might delay this hype train another week:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/18/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-offense-ravens-defense-deep-dive

To summarize, Baltimore had success vs KC in the playoffs last year by blitzing often.  Baltimore's blitz scheme is very complex.

KC's starting left tackle is out.  And, to repeat what was previously quoted, this is what Andy Reid had to say regarding Darwin:

[Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass-blocker before he gets a lot of playing time.] "As long as I feel like he knows what he's doing, I'm good with it,'' Reid said. "He'll stick it up in there and hit you. It's just a matter of seeing it. He's young, so he hasn't seen everything there is to see. He's getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.'']

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/nfl_32for3291919/biggest-week-3-injury-questions-all-32-nfl-teams-latest-johnson-singletary-williams-more

Mahomes tweaked his ankle week 1, and now KC's going to be playing with a backup left tackle against a team that likes to blitz often, blitzes well, and employs complex blitz combinations.

Not sure that's going to provide the best opportunity to break out for a rookie who's biggest barrier to playing time is pass pro assignments and rush recognition. 

I could be wrong, but that's what's keeping me from throwing him in there for Williams this week.

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Good read here about the KC v BAL matchup that might delay this hype train another week:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/18/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-offense-ravens-defense-deep-dive

To summarize, Baltimore had success vs KC in the playoffs last year by blitzing often.  Baltimore's blitz scheme is very complex.

KC's starting left tackle is out.  And, to repeat what was previously quoted, this is what Andy Reid had to say regarding Darwin:

[Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass-blocker before he gets a lot of playing time.] "As long as I feel like he knows what he's doing, I'm good with it,'' Reid said. "He'll stick it up in there and hit you. It's just a matter of seeing it. He's young, so he hasn't seen everything there is to see. He's getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.'']

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/nfl_32for3291919/biggest-week-3-injury-questions-all-32-nfl-teams-latest-johnson-singletary-williams-more

Mahomes tweaked his ankle week 1, and now KC's going to be playing with a backup left tackle against a team that likes to blitz often, blitzes well, and employs complex blitz combinations.

Not sure that's going to provide the best opportunity to break out for a rookie who's biggest barrier to playing time is pass pro assignments and rush recognition. 

I could be wrong, but that's what's keeping me from throwing him in there for Williams this week.


im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:


im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

Jimmy Smith is also hurt and not playing 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

Some analysts say Darrel Williams is the short term pickup and not darwin

 

14 hours ago, jujus-jujubees said:

 

All those links you provided to back this up is amazing. 

 

 

 

His name is Mathew Berry.  He himself is an analyst.   Duh.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to get more excited.  I think the only way I’ll get off the edge of my seat is if I wake up Sunday morning and see “Damien Williams and LeSean McCoy are officially inactive for week 3”. I can see so many ways this flops.  McCoy could get all the carries.  Williams can somehow end up playing.  Darrell Williams gets the bulk of the snaps.  The path just does t seem as clear for Darwin.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...