Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

Your never gonna win in fantasy football if all you do is worry about what round a player got drafted in. 

 

 

One thing a high pick almost guarantees: the team that spent that pick will give the player many chances.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Hunt was kicked off the team last year, Ware immediately stepped in and put up points. When Ware got Hurt Damien Williams immediately stepped in and put up points. When McCoy and Damien Williams

Fire up Darrel, Shady is starting for the Bills on Sunday according to RW.

2 weeks in a row he's gotten the most snaps in KC backfield. 2 weeks in a row he was in at the end of the game on critical possessions. 2 weeks in a row he made the game winning play. We don't ev

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

It matters for context. The vibe in here is he's like this undiscovered gem. He's a JAG by every measure. Now that said, so is DWill and we saw what he did down the stretch last year. I'm not saying the guy doesn't or won't have value, but it'll take both Damien and McCoy being out. I think some people just need to pump the brakes a bit. 

 

He may be under the radar to most of the NFL and the fantasy community but he’s not to the Chiefs. They love him, and have for sometime. People laughed at me when I said that it was questionable whether Damien was even the best D. Williams on the Chiefs, but just watch. Easy flex/low-end RB2 ROS, with RB1 potential if Shady goes down and misses extended time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

 

He may be under the radar to most of the NFL and the fantasy community but he’s not to the Chiefs. They love him, and have for sometime. People laughed at me when I said that it was questionable whether Damien was even the best D. Williams on the Chiefs, but just watch. Easy flex/low-end RB2 ROS, with RB1 potential if Shady goes down and misses extended time.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but am left to wonder why then would they pay Damien, make him the clear starter, draft a RB, bring in Hyde, then pay McCoy pretty handsomely all things considered, and also have him clearly above Darrel. What you're saying could very well could be true, but their behavior doesn't align with it. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but am left to wonder why then would they pay Damien, make him the clear starter, draft a RB, bring in Hyde, then pay McCoy pretty handsomely all things considered, and also have him clearly above Darrel. What you're saying could very well could be true, but their behavior doesn't align with it. 

 

But Damien has never been the clear starter this year. First they signed Carlos Hyde. Then Reid kept talking about a committee. Then after cutting Hyde, they immediately signed Shady once he became available. It was never in the cards for Damien to be “the man” this year, and when Reid brought in Shady, that was the final straw for me. I released Damien into the draft (could’ve kept him) and targeted Shady in the later/middle rounds instead (got him in the 9th).

Darrel was always going to be part of the equation, and he’s gotten better at pass pro and receiving, so thus more useful from Reid’s standpoint. It’s a new year. I know a lot of KC fans too, and they’ve been saying “watch out for Darrel” for a long time. It’s finally starting to be his time.

Edited by kraftwrk_5
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

 

But Damien has never been the clear starter this year. First they signed Carlos Hyde. Then Reid kept talking about a committee. 

Yes he has - Reid stated at the presser announcing the McCoy signing that Damien was still viewed as the starter.  The fact that he also envisioned a committee RB approach doesn’t invalidate that fact.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes he has - Reid stated at the presser announcing the McCoy signing that Damien was still viewed as the starter.  The fact that he also envisioned a committee RB approach doesn’t invalidate that fact.

He said “we are lucky to have Damien here, who we consider a starter, as we do Shady and so I think it’s a great situation to be in, for both of them and the football team.”

 

Not “the” starter, “a” starter.  Following that up w also considering Shady a starter is telling.  So Shady being a starter is also not invalidated by the presser.  So can two running backs both identified as starters, but not playing on the field together, result in one or both being the “clear starter”?  

 

He then hen talks about how Shady needs to learn the playbook, as some things had changed since he was w Reid in Philly. Due to that, he wasn’t sure how much he’d play initially. 

 

I don’t see that as a ringing endorsement for Damien Williams.  I see that as they will both be used and we will see what happens. He also mentions that they will take it a game at a time. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

 

But Damien has never been the clear starter this year. First they signed Carlos Hyde. Then Reid kept talking about a committee. Then after cutting Hyde, they immediately signed Shady once he became available. It was never in the cards for Damien to be “the man” this year, and when Reid brought in Shady, that was the final straw for me. I released Damien into the draft (could’ve kept him) and targeted Shady in the later/middle rounds instead (got him in the 9th).

Darrel was always going to be part of the equation, and he’s gotten better at pass pro and receiving, so thus more useful from Reid’s standpoint. It’s a new year. I know a lot of KC fans too, and they’ve been saying “watch out for Darrel” for a long time. It’s finally starting to be his time.

 

Building on this, there's a big difference between the fantasy perspective and the real-life football perspective.

KC's signing of Carlos Hyde seemed to be designed in regard to possibly obtaining a compensatory pick (Hyde was cut so he doesn't count against a compensatory pick).  Likewise, KC's lack of pursuit of a UFA running back in the free agency period.

Why would they draft a running back?  Because 1) every team needs depth at RB and 2) at the point of the draft, the team had zero RB under contract after 2020.  This doesn't mean that Thompson is or isn't good.

Whether or not they really liked McCoy, they kind of backed themselves into that signing by cutting Hyde.  No matter what you may think of Darrel Williams, they certainly weren't going to go into a Super Bowl season with 3 RB being Damien, Darrel and Darwin.  That's an awful lot of unknown and risk.

My perspective is that I don't think their offseason moves tell us a lot about Darrel Williams, mainly because we amateurs and the professionals with the Chiefs haven't really seen Darrel get a chance to play - until last week.  Sometimes it just takes an opportunity to get on the field to show what you can do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rschroeder1 said:

 

Building on this, there's a big difference between the fantasy perspective and the real-life football perspective.

KC's signing of Carlos Hyde seemed to be designed in regard to possibly obtaining a compensatory pick (Hyde was cut so he doesn't count against a compensatory pick).  Likewise, KC's lack of pursuit of a UFA running back in the free agency period.

Why would they draft a running back?  Because 1) every team needs depth at RB and 2) at the point of the draft, the team had zero RB under contract after 2020.  This doesn't mean that Thompson is or isn't good.

Whether or not they really liked McCoy, they kind of backed themselves into that signing by cutting Hyde.  No matter what you may think of Darrel Williams, they certainly weren't going to go into a Super Bowl season with 3 RB being Damien, Darrel and Darwin.  That's an awful lot of unknown and risk.

My perspective is that I don't think their offseason moves tell us a lot about Darrel Williams, mainly because we amateurs and the professionals with the Chiefs haven't really seen Darrel get a chance to play - until last week.  Sometimes it just takes an opportunity to get on the field to show what you can do.

Well Darrel Williams shined last week.  And he was one Earl Thomas desperation ankle tackle away from a 71 yard TD scamper.  His teammates seem to love him, too.  For whatever that's worth.  I will be interested to see how the RB work is divvied up tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well Darrel Williams shined last week.  And he was one Earl Thomas desperation ankle tackle away from a 71 yard TD scamper.  His teammates seem to love him, too.  For whatever that's worth.  I will be interested to see how the RB work is divvied up tomorrow.

 

You're right....he was one shoestring tackle away from a 70 yard TD....

On the flip side though, take away that 40 yard run and his stats suddenly look pretty pedestrian....And if Shady didn't get hurt, then what would we have had?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do between R Freeman and Darrel.  The thing with Freeman is I feel very confident he'll likely play 50% of the snaps and probably see 15 touches.  I'm not so sure I'm as confident that Darrel will get 15 touches.

The only thing really swaying it is obviously the Chiefs offense presents much higher upside than the Broncos offense.  I'm just not sure I'm confident Darrel would get red zone looks or if Shady would be in for those.

My assumption is that Darrel probably plays quite a bit and that they probably wouldn't let McCoy go over about 40-50% of the snaps.  But not sure....

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

 

You're right....he was one shoestring tackle away from a 70 yard TD....

On the flip side though, take away that 40 yard run and his stats suddenly look pretty pedestrian....And if Shady didn't get hurt, then what would we have had?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do between R Freeman and Darrel.  The thing with Freeman is I feel very confident he'll likely play 50% of the snaps and probably see 15 touches.  I'm not so sure I'm as confident that Darrel will get 15 touches.

The only thing really swaying it is obviously the Chiefs offense presents much higher upside than the Broncos offense.  I'm just not sure I'm confident Darrel would get red zone looks or if Shady would be in for those.

My assumption is that Darrel probably plays quite a bit and that they probably wouldn't let McCoy go over about 40-50% of the snaps.  But not sure....

Shady looks like the better goal line option IMO. He makes better reads and cuts down there. 

Edited by ohio#1eaglesfan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

 

You're right....he was one shoestring tackle away from a 70 yard TD....

On the flip side though, take away that 40 yard run and his stats suddenly look pretty pedestrian....And if Shady didn't get hurt, then what would we have had?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do between R Freeman and Darrel.  The thing with Freeman is I feel very confident he'll likely play 50% of the snaps and probably see 15 touches.  I'm not so sure I'm as confident that Darrel will get 15 touches.

The only thing really swaying it is obviously the Chiefs offense presents much higher upside than the Broncos offense.  I'm just not sure I'm confident Darrel would get red zone looks or if Shady would be in for those.

My assumption is that Darrel probably plays quite a bit and that they probably wouldn't let McCoy go over about 40-50% of the snaps.  But not sure....

If you want to simplify things just take the player in the more explosive offense with a nice game setup. Chiefs implied team total is 30. Denver sits at 20.5. Why would you want a time share of the lessor all things equal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rschroeder1 said:

 

Building on this, there's a big difference between the fantasy perspective and the real-life football perspective.

KC's signing of Carlos Hyde seemed to be designed in regard to possibly obtaining a compensatory pick (Hyde was cut so he doesn't count against a compensatory pick).  Likewise, KC's lack of pursuit of a UFA running back in the free agency period.

Why would they draft a running back?  Because 1) every team needs depth at RB and 2) at the point of the draft, the team had zero RB under contract after 2020.  This doesn't mean that Thompson is or isn't good.

Whether or not they really liked McCoy, they kind of backed themselves into that signing by cutting Hyde.  No matter what you may think of Darrel Williams, they certainly weren't going to go into a Super Bowl season with 3 RB being Damien, Darrel and Darwin.  That's an awful lot of unknown and risk.

My perspective is that I don't think their offseason moves tell us a lot about Darrel Williams, mainly because we amateurs and the professionals with the Chiefs haven't really seen Darrel get a chance to play - until last week.  Sometimes it just takes an opportunity to get on the field to show what you can do.

 

I’d have to look, but I recall Darrel getting a decent amount of work later last season.  Enough for KC to gauge what they have with him anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ArtistPain said:

I am debating starting him over Gallman. I’ve already screwed the pooch by dropping colts d and picking up packers just in time for them to lay an egg for me, so my decision making skills are suspect at best. Somebody convince me to go with Darrell 

I’m in the same situation but I’m going gallman. Without them signing a back and playing the skins, I think his chance at touches is higher

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ArtistPain said:

I am debating starting him over Gallman. I’ve already screwed the pooch by dropping colts d and picking up packers just in time for them to lay an egg for me, so my decision making skills are suspect at best. Somebody convince me to go with Darrell 

Same situation and starting Gallman as well. Although his production per touch will more than likely be lower, his volume alone is what’s driving me to start him over Darrel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Steve-O said:

Same situation and starting Gallman as well. Although his production per touch will more than likely be lower, his volume alone is what’s driving me to start him over Darrel. 

 

Same situation, but leaning towards Darrel Williams because I’m facing Mahomes. Not sure if I’m using good logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Steve-O said:

Same situation and starting Gallman as well. Although his production per touch will more than likely be lower, his volume alone is what’s driving me to start him over Darrel. 

 

Barkley went down in the second quarter and Gallman still only had 5 carries for 13 yards. KC game might very well be a blowout with McCoy sitting on the bench by the 4th quarter and Williams playing the rest of the game. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Barkley went down in the second quarter and Gallman still only had 5 carries for 13 yards. KC game might very well be a blowout with McCoy sitting on the bench by the 4th quarter and Williams playing the rest of the game. 

Yeah, but that same defense held the great saquon, the One, the neo taking the blue pill Barkley to 10 yards on 8 carries, so technically Gallman was twice as effective as the greatest running talent of our generation. So there’s that. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ArtistPain said:

Yeah, but that same defense held the great saquon, the One, the neo taking the blue pill Barkley to 10 yards on 8 carries, so technically Gallman was twice as effective as the greatest running talent of our generation. So there’s that. 

 

Tony Pollard went 13 for 103 (7.9 YPC) while Zeke only went 19 for 125 (6.6 YPC) against Miami last Sunday, so technically Pollard was better than the best RB in the league. So there's that. 

Those stats are meaningless for tomorrows game. Williams is on a MUCH better offense and is capable of out-producing Gallman with less work. I would start Williams. 

Edited by Dexter75
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Tony Pollard went 13 for 103 (7.9 YPC) while Zeke only went 19 for 125 (6.6 YPC) against Miami last Sunday, so technically Pollard was better than the best RB in the league. So there's that. 

Exactly my man!  And remember when pollard went like 12 for 21 on his first game and everyone (including me) dropped him?  Maybe Polly and Gally are just now shedding their chrysalis s and will own the league 1st half of 2018 James Connor style

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...