NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

43 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Once either one is healthy Darrel will go back to a rotational guy or irrelevance.

You don’t know that at all. How many Chiefs RB in just the past few years have gone down with an injury and then lost their job to the guy who took over? I’ve lost count now. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Hunt was kicked off the team last year, Ware immediately stepped in and put up points. When Ware got Hurt Damien Williams immediately stepped in and put up points. When McCoy and Damien Williams

Fire up Darrel, Shady is starting for the Bills on Sunday according to RW.

2 weeks in a row he's gotten the most snaps in KC backfield. 2 weeks in a row he was in at the end of the game on critical possessions. 2 weeks in a row he made the game winning play. We don't ev

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

You don’t know that at all. How many Chiefs RB in just the past few years have gone down with an injury and then lost their job to the guy who took over? I’ve lost count now. 

I'm not really sure why you think that unless you're just cherry picking information?

2019: Damien Williams/LeSean McCoy - Unknown outcome.

2018: Kareem Hunt -  Hunt was cut late in the year, Spencer Ware took over then got hurt for the rest of the year, Damien Williams takes over. Ware never had a chance to get his job back.

2017: Spencer Ware - Ware tears up his knee in the preseason and is out for the year. Kareem Hunt takes over. Ware was out for the entire season so he didn't really lose the job.

2016: Spencer Ware - He was the starter all year.

2015: Jamaal Charles - Tore ACL early in the season and was out for the rest of the year so he didn't lose his job to someone else because of injury. Charcandrick West/Spencer Ware form a RBBC. 

Every year before this was Jamaal Charles so I'm not going to waste anyone's time.

There hasn't been a single season since 2015 that the starting RB for the Chiefs who started the season lost his starting job to his backup after getting hurt in season and then returning later in the year. The only guy who you could argue lost his starting job due to injury was Spencer Ware to Kareem Hunt but even then I don't buy it because Hunt was drafted to be the Chiefs starter at some point. 

Darrel is fine as a flier but he needed injuries ahead of him to be relevant. If both McCoy and Damien are out next week he'll be a solid plug and play RB2, if one of them is playing he a desperation Flex, and if both are playing he's irrelevant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, munde53 said:

I'm not really sure why you think that unless you're just cherry picking information?

2018: Kareem Hunt -  Hunt was cut late in the year, Spencer Ware took over then got hurt for the rest of the year, Damien Williams takes over. Ware never had a chance to get his job back.

2017: Spencer Ware - Ware tears up his knee in the preseason and is out for the year. Kareem Hunt takes over. Ware was out for the entire season so he didn't really lose the job.

2015: Jamaal Charles - Tore ACL early in the season and was out for the rest of the year so he didn't lose his job to someone else because of injury. Charcandrick West/Spencer Ware form a RBBC. 

Every year before this was Jamaal Charles so I'm not going to waste anyone's time.

There hasn't been a single season since 2015 that the starting RB for the Chiefs who started the season lost his starting job to his backup after getting hurt in season and then returning later in the year. The only guy who you could argue lost his starting job due to injury was Spencer Ware to Kareem Hunt but even then I don't buy it because Hunt was drafted to be the Chiefs starter at some point. 

Darrel is fine as a flier but he needed injuries ahead of him to be relevant. If both McCoy and Damien are out next week he'll be a solid plug and play RB2, if one of them is playing he a desperation Flex, and if both are playing he's irrelevant. 

I would agree with that except that I think he’s better than Damien Williams. IMO this is looking like a Shady/Darrel Williams backfield ROS, especially if Damien Williams misses some more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Well said Munde. Thankyou

All the people saying this guy is the lead back are just the people who picked him up this week. 

I picked him up too but I fully understand its most likely not going to last too long but let it play out. Andy Reid is a pretty loyal guy and DWilliams will have every opportunity at holding onto the job. I just hope he needs another week to recover.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Incorrect.

2018: Ware was healthy and able to play last year after being injured in week 14. In fact, he played 6 snaps in the playoff game against the Patriots and caught his only target for 21 yards. He was fully healthy and able to play in week 17  but Reid rolled with Williams, who was very impressive in weeks 15 and 16, instead. So Ware lost his job to Willams. 

2017: Ware suffers a chest bruise on Xmas 2016 and Charcandrick West starts week 17. Then Ware tears his PCL/MCL and misses the 2017 season. Did he get his job back from Hunt after he was healthy the following year? Nope, Hunt remained the starer. Ware lost his job to Hunt. 

2016: Charles was back and ready to play in week 5 after tearing his ACL the year before. Did he get his starting job back from Ware in 2016? Nope, Ware remained the starter. Charles played weeks 5-8 as the backup to Ware and then re-injured his knee and was put on IR. Charles lost his starting job to Ware. 

3 examples in 3 years of the Chiefs starting RB losing their job after being injured.... 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Thanks 2

if mccoy and damien were to go down, reid looks pretty comfortable with darrel being the starter and playing majority of the snaps. today's showing shows he can do it all.

Next week going to be intersting.

Following the Chiefs 33-28 win today Head Coach Andy Reid commented on the only injury to report "McCoy tweaked an Ankle" referring to RB LeSean McCoy who ran 8 times for 54 yards in today's victory.

Edited by brosephd
17 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

2018: Ware was healthy and able to play last year after being injured in week 14. In fact, he played 6 snaps in the playoff game against the Patriots and caught his only target for 21 yards. He was fully healthy and able to play in week 17  but Reid rolled with Williams, who was very impressive in weeks 15 and 16, instead. So Ware lost his job to Willams. 

You mean the AFC Championship game?

So you're telling me that Ware was healthy enough to play in week 17 but then with an extra week of rest (Wild Card round the Chiefs had a bye) they left him as a healthy scratch in the Divisional Round? The answer to that is no, Ware was not healthy enough to play in week 17.

Ware might have lost his job to Williams, and I would even venture to say he would have because Williams is a better player. However, that's 100% speculative and the fact remains that Andy Reid likes RBBCs with the exception of elite talents like LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles. None of the likes of Damien, Ware, or Darrel are exceptional talents. Damien looks to be slightly above average while the other two are average at best. If Ware came back and was 100% healthy it would've gone back to a platoon with him and Damien.

2017: Ware suffers a chest bruise on Xmas 2016 and Charcandrick West starts week 17. Then Ware tears his PCL/MCL and misses the 2017 season. Did he get his job back from Hunt after he was healthy the following year? Nope, Hunt remained the starer. Ware lost his job to Hunt. 

What are you even getting at here? So Ware got hurt for one game and West started that game? That's like making a point that Wayne Gallman will be starting this week over Saquon. Of course he is because the other guy in injured. It's one game which doesn't mean anyone lost their starting role.

Ware tore up his knee in the preseason which is when Hunt took over. Ware didn't play again in 2017. That's not losing your job to someone for injury that's called tearing up your knee and being done for the season. Besides, as I already said Hunt was drafted to be the Chiefs lead back eventually and Ware was only a place holder. You could argue Ware lost his job to Hunt in 2018 due to his injury in 2017 but I don't think that holds any water because like I just said Hunt was drafted to be the guy.

You're picking and choosing "facts" to fit your narrative. 

2016: Charles was back and ready to play in week 5 after tearing his ACL the year before. Did he get his starting job back from Ware in 2016? Nope, Ware remained the starter. Charles played weeks 5-8 as the backup to Ware and then re-injured his knee and was put on IR. Charles lost his starting job to Ware. 

Charles was never healthy in 2016. He tried to rush back then re-aggravated his knee which caused him to back on IR. Do you honestly thinking a 100% healthy Jamaal Charles would lose his staring job to Spencer Ware. 

3 examples in 3 years of the Chiefs starting RB losing their job after being injured.... 

See what you want to see man but Darrel will never become a bell cow (which is what I'm guessing you think he might become) in this offense without McCoy and Damien being completely on the shelf. Even if that were to happen I can almost guarantee he'll be in a RBBC with Darwin Thompson. 

Darrel is just another average NFL RB but is nothing special. If he's given all of or most of the work he'll be valuable for fantasy but that will not happen unless McCoy and Damien remain banged up. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, munde53 said:

See what you want to see man but Darrel will never become a bell cow (which is what I'm guessing you think he might become) in this offense without McCoy and Damien being completely on the shelf. Even if that were to happen I can almost guarantee he'll be in a RBBC with Darwin Thompson. 

Darrel is just another average NFL RB but is nothing special. If he's given all of or most of the work he'll be valuable for fantasy but that will not happen unless McCoy and Damien remain banged up. 

I never said anything about him becoming a bell cow. You made the comment that he would go right back to the bench when Damien Williams is healthy again. You have no way of knowing that at all. Hes already performed better this year than Damien has. I think his performance today puts him in line for more touches next week, especially if McCoy isn't 100% again. If he has another good game next week, he could easily cement his place as 2nd on the depth chart behind McCoy, even when Damien is healthy. 

Im also not sure how you are so confident than Darrell is "just an average NFL RB" and "nothing special" given the extremely small sample size. Hes had a whopping 22 carries including today. You can make a judgment on how good someone is or isn't based on 22 carries in the NFL? Please.  He had 62 yards on 9 carries today and 47 yards receiving on 5 receptions. Thats 109 yards from scrimmage on only 14 touches which is very efficient, especially against a top notch defense and the best rush defense in the league. The jury is still out on how good he is or is not, but he was more efficient with his touches than the future hall of fame RB he played behind today. 

Edited by Dexter75
1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

I never said anything about him becoming a bell cow. You made the comment that he would go right back to the bench when Damien Williams is healthy again. You have no way of knowing that at all. Hes already performed better this year than Damien has. I think his performance today puts him in line for more touches next week, especially if McCoy isn't 100% again. If he has another good game next week, he could easily cement his place as 2nd on the depth chart behind McCoy, even when Damien is healthy. 

Im also not sure how you are so confident than Darrell is "just an average NFL RB" and "nothing special" given the extremely small sample size. Hes had a whopping 22 carries including today. You can make a judgment on how good someone is or isn't based on 22 carries in the NFL? Please.  He had 62 yards on 9 carries today and 47 yards receiving on 5 receptions. Thats 109 yards from scrimmage on only 14 touches which is very efficient, especially against a top notch defense and the best rush defense in the league. The jury is still out on how good he is or is not, but he was more efficient with his touches than the future hall of fame RB he played behind today. 

I'm a Damien/Darrell owner (Even started Darrell today) but I think you are looking too stat-based.   And you can't say small sample size but then proclaim his efficiency especially when almost half his yards came on a single play that actually should have been a TD with a faster back. Curious if you watched the game today because all of your arguments are box-score based.

Knile Davis put up great numbers with the Chiefs too and he was awful.  I'm not saying Darrel is Knile but he looked pretty sluggish out there tbh.  All 3 of the other backs would have been gone on that long run he had he got caught from behind on.  I know Hunt had a bad 40 yard dash but Darrel ran a 4.72 at combine and looked it today.

What he has going for him is passblocking, big size, and his hands are good for a big dude, but he seems like a worse version of Damien who already isn't super electric to begin with.  Also worth note that LeSean replaced him on the goal line twice today even though Darrel is 6'1 225 lbs.

I'm with you that we can't say we 'know' anything.  But even though it's small sample, the film means something he certainly doesn't look like some uber-explosive dude who is going to outplay a LeSean/Damien.  

I think he'll be ahead of Darwin because of pass-blocking this year but unless LeSean/Damien are out extended periods of time, it seems a lot more likely that he fades into the background.  

But again, I'm with you we don't know and it's about what Reid thinks, not me, so let's wait and see.

Edited by mmm sod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have Darrel too and think he is 3rd in the pecking order. Darwin isn't trusted by Andy Reid in pass protection. Given how much they air it out and that they have to protect Mahomes at all costs with their OL banged up already, Darrel gets the nod over Darwin. Also Darwin went out of bounds late in the game when they had a one score lead. You could see the positional coach being angry about it.

Damien already banged up and seemingly week to week, Shady already nicked up and injury prone anyway. Darrel could be a decent RB2 down the stretch. In years past I wouldn't have bothered much about Darrel. But there so many teams are using RBBC and the Chiefs offense is superior to all of them.

• Like 3

Over the long run , talent does win out but for the foreseeable future Darrel is definitely the guy to own over Darwin. Ravens had a stout run defense and for Darrel to produce what he did is pretty good. 

Literally last year everyone had written off Damien as a nobody and he was being drafted in the 2nd this year. Fantasy can be weird like that... 

Just now, ponchsox said:

I love how Darrel Williams owners automatically assume Damien Williams is going to ride the bench when he returns.

I love how people create a straw man argument based on nothing. At least not based on the posts in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, munde53 said:

I agree here.

I think Darryl is clearly locked into that third spot behind McCoy and Williams.  He played pretty well yesterday but he's not moving ahead of those guys.  I just don't think he's really that talented.  

I think if McCoy or Williams are playing, they're the main guy and Darryl is nothing but the COP or short yardage guy.  He needs both McCoy and Williams to be out to really be worth starting and at least one of them out to be a flex consideration.

Personally, I really only see Darryl as a pickup for McCoy/Williams owners for the most part as some insurance for when those guys are out.

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree here.

I think Darryl is clearly locked into that third spot behind McCoy and Williams.  He played pretty well yesterday but he's not moving ahead of those guys.  I just don't think he's really that talented.  

I think if McCoy or Williams are playing, they're the main guy and Darryl is nothing but the COP or short yardage guy.  He needs both McCoy and Williams to be out to really be worth starting and at least one of them out to be a flex consideration.

Personally, I really only see Darryl as a pickup for McCoy/Williams owners for the most part as some insurance for when those guys are out.

McCoy is a washed up has been that couldn’t beat out a 37 year old Frank Gore. I think the majority of the fantasy community was shocked to see the Chiefs pick him up. This week was the best week he’s been in a long long time and it still wasn’t better than Darrel’s debut. And Darrel Williams is literally a Pass Protection elite, which I’m sure the Chiefs greatly value. Regardless, of when Damien returns, Darrel is going to get snaps after Sunday’s performance. Cry some more, and please try to spell his name correctly. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

McCoy is a washed up has been that couldn’t beat out a 37 year old Frank Gore. I think the majority of the fantasy community was shocked to see the Chiefs pick him up. This week was the best week he’s been in a long long time and it still wasn’t better than Darrel’s debut. And Darrel Williams is literally a Pass Protection elite, which I’m sure the Chiefs greatly value. Regardless, of when Damien returns, Darrel is going to get snaps after Sunday’s performance. Cry some more, and please try to spell his name correctly. 

McCoy is the RB16 in standard on a team he joined 2 1/2 weeks ago with a dinged up ankle while in an RBBC. He currently has more points than Todd Gurley, Chris Carson, Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon and Sony Michel. Plus he looked great yesterday.

Why the sour grapes?

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

McCoy is the RB16 in standard on a team he joined 2 1/2 weeks ago with a dinged up ankle while in an RBBC. He currently has more points than Todd Gurley, Chris Carson, Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon and Sony Michel. Plus he looked great yesterday.

Why the sour grapes?

I don’t think McCoy is that bad, but I also don’t think he’s ahead of Darrel at the moment however. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

I don’t think McCoy is that bad, but I also don’t think he’s ahead of Darrel at the moment however. 

Darrel looked great yesterday. 

I’m betting McCoy is not going to the bench barring an injury so maybe the better question is: is Darrell Williams ahead of Damien Williams?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

If all this is true why couldn't Williams beat out a washed up McCoy? What does that say about Williams, who everyone thought was fourth string 24 hours ago?

6 hours ago, mmm sod said:

I'm a Damien/Darrell owner (Even started Darrell today) but I think you are looking too stat-based.   And you can't say small sample size but then proclaim his efficiency especially when almost half his yards came on a single play that actually should have been a TD with a faster back. Curious if you watched the game today because all of your arguments are box-score based.

Knile Davis put up great numbers with the Chiefs too and he was awful.  I'm not saying Darrel is Knile but he looked pretty sluggish out there tbh.  All 3 of the other backs would have been gone on that long run he had he got caught from behind on.  I know Hunt had a bad 40 yard dash but Darrel ran a 4.72 at combine and looked it today.

What he has going for him is passblocking, big size, and his hands are good for a big dude, but he seems like a worse version of Damien who already isn't super electric to begin with.  Also worth note that LeSean replaced him on the goal line twice today even though Darrel is 6'1 225 lbs.

I'm with you that we can't say we 'know' anything.  But even though it's small sample, the film means something he certainly doesn't look like some uber-explosive dude who is going to outplay a LeSean/Damien.  

I think he'll be ahead of Darwin because of pass-blocking this year but unless LeSean/Damien are out extended periods of time, it seems a lot more likely that he fades into the background.  

But again, I'm with you we don't know and it's about what Reid thinks, not me, so let's wait and see.

Regarding Darrel's 41 yard run, according to NFL's Next Gen stats, he reached 20.88 mph on that carry, the fifth fastest single-play speed posted on the day.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers/2019/3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

So Darrel Williams is better than Shady now? Okay. 😂

Edited by kraftwrk_5