NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

AirForceOne

12 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yeah.  I don't get it.  There's no way he is going to jump McCoy and Damien on talent alone.  The guy ran a 4.72 40-yard dash.  Not saying he can't be productive in the KC offense....we saw that yesterday.  But if McCoy and/or Damien are healthy, he's not playing over them.  He only got action because McCoy started the game dinged up, and left the game after the 3rd.

You're basically hoping for two major injuries to McCoy and Damien.  If one of them is healthy, Darrel will be on the short end of a timeshare at best.  Not startable.

I keep seeing this 4.72 40-yard dash which makes me wonder... How fast do you think Shady McCoy currently is?

2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

McCoy has a dinged up ankle, Darwin can’t pass protect, Damien Williams is hurt and Reid has been bad mouthing him all summer = Darrel Williams is the top WW pick up.

As soon as both damien and shady are healthy this guy will go back to nothing.  I dont get the overreaction here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NyZD said:

Damien Williams wasn't even playing good prior to his injury, why is everyone so dismissive of Darrel If I hear the 40 time nonsense again.. Ingram,Bell etc 40 times were not earth shattering... His game speed looks good.

People own Damien and McCoy and don’t want to face the truth hehe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RingMyBell said:

As soon as both damien and shady are healthy this guy will go back to nothing.  I dont get the overreaction here.

Actually, I’ve been reading about Darrel and I wondering how it is this guy went undrafted. He was behind Fournett and Guice at LSU so maybe that’s why he went under the radar a bit? He was named team MVP after he took over for Guice. His NFL scouting report has him as a backup prospect and another scout pegged him as a 4th round talent. Weaknesses listed were ability to let lanes develop, burst hitting holes and speed. I don’t really see those as being a problem with defenses sweating over sprinting down field every time the ball is snapped. 

What makes me curious is why Reid would not have given him the lead role or used him more already. 

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

Actually, I’ve been reading about Darrel and I wondering how it is this guy went undrafted. He was behind Fournett and Guice at LSU so maybe that’s why he went under the radar a bit? He was named team MVP after he took over for Guice. His NFL scouting report has him as a backup prospect and another scout pegged him as a 4th round talent. Weaknesses listed were ability to let lanes develop, burst hitting holes and speed. I don’t really see those as being a problem with defenses sweating over sprinting down field every time the ball is snapped. 

What makes me curious is why Reid would not have given him the lead role or used him more already. 

Time will tell.

Perhaps the answer is "it's early."  Two games to see what they had with Damien and McCoy.  Things seemed to work pretty well with Damien last year.  McCoy's track record speaks for itself.

Perhaps seeing a player in real game usage changes the perception, too.

3 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

Perhaps the answer is "it's early."  Two games to see what they had with Damien and McCoy.  Things seemed to work pretty well with Damien last year.  McCoy's track record speaks for itself.

Perhaps seeing a player in real game usage changes the perception, too.

He was on the team all last year. 

Reid jumped on McCoy as soon as he was cut. I really don’t know what to make of it. Seems like he’s got more potential than your run of the mill back up though. As a McCoy owner in a league where someone else already has Derrel I hope not but I guess we’ll see! Lol!

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I wasn't paying attention this summer. How was he badmouthing him?

Made a lot of comments about him being injured and was clearly growing impatient about how much time he had been missing during preseason. The “RBBC, we’ll do that here” wasn’t exactly a vote of confidence either.

7 hours ago, maxim730 said:

There are 4 RBs in that backfield ... don’t quite get the reason why he is #1

I agree with this.  This is a guy that could very easily end up being a complete waste of FA dollars (if your league is structured that way).

I think he really makes more sense for people that own McCoy or Damien Williams as more of a handcuff type.  He's gonna be barely startable if either of those guys are healthy....And not startable at all if they're both healthy.  The only way things really get interesting is if they're both out.  And it sounds like McCoy feels like he'll play this week.

4 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree with this.  This is a guy that could very easily end up being a complete waste of FA dollars (if your league is structured that way).

I think he really makes more sense for people that own McCoy or Damien Williams as more of a handcuff type.  He's gonna be barely startable if either of those guys are healthy....And not startable at all if they're both healthy.  The only way things really get interesting is if they're both out.  And it sounds like McCoy feels like he'll play this week.

I think he has looked like the best rb of all of them and that will translate to Reid playing him on running and passing downs...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Losing mentality. Gotta take some risks. The elder statesmen in the KC backfield are banged up and Darwin isn't ready, what else are you looking for?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

He was on the team all last year. 

Reid jumped on McCoy as soon as he was cut. I really don’t know what to make of it. Seems like he’s got more potential than your run of the mill back up though. As a McCoy owner in a league where someone else already has Derrel I hope not but I guess we’ll see! Lol!

Right, but last year was his rookie year as an undrafted free agent.  It should not come as any surprise that he didn't play until they were running short on warm bodies.

I don't think anyone's trying to make the claim Darrel is the next superstar running back.  But this wouldn't be the first time that a player had to get the opportunity via injury or whatever else to get on the field to show what he can do.  We have a direct example from last year - Damien Williams.

To recall briefly, Damien was essentially an unwanted player.  He was an RFA after the '16 season and zero of the 31 teams that were not his team offered him a contract (which, in fairness, may have had to do with his tender value).  After '17, the Chiefs offered him a very small contract ($1 million for one year), and he served as a special teams guy until Hunt and Ware couldn't play.  Then he played...and perceptions on Damien changed pretty quickly.

One point on the McCoy signing - as with the Carlos Hyde signing, by adding players who had been cut (Hyde cut by the Jaguars), those signings do not count in the +/- free agency tally for compensatory picks.  For as much grief as Hyde got, that's likely the reason they signed him.  Certainly, McCoy's history with Reid is a factor here, but given that the Chiefs weren't going to go after a free agent for either monetary or compensatory reasons, the McCoy signing makes a lot of sense.

In the end, though, I see Darrel as a dart throw with some logic behind it.  By my eyes, Darrel showed some positives on Sunday, and the two backs theoretically in front of him have real questions marks.

Edited by rschroeder1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the game, guy looks the part, big and much faster game speed than 4.72. Did a nice job catching the ball. Announcer was going on and on about how Reid trusted him and felt like he could do a great job and there was an opportunity. 

I’ll also just leave this here, not bad for 230..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1