NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

AirForceOne

10 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Best case scenario for this guy:

Damien doesn't play this weekend.

McCoy doesn't play this weekend. 

He gets lead carries and does great. 

Damien comes back, and is used sparingly as he has been outplayed by both McCoy and Darrel. 

Darrel splits with McCoy and outshines him. 

That's what you would hope for. 

How is Damien Williams' pass blocking?  If Darrel's is better, then I would think he'd get more snaps even if they are both healthy.

• Like 1

All the narratives for Darwin breaking out this year should now be applied to Darrel. Especially since he's gotten past stage 1 (Get an opportunity to play. Play well in that opportunity.)

There's a good chance that Damien and McCoy retake control of the backfield and this is all for naught.

But there's also a chance Darrel emerges as a fantasy star. And a chance gentleman, is what it's all about. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Grumption said:

759085964_ScreenShot2019-09-25at10_57_50AM.thumb.png.05aadd9a87157f6fa201f583903305bc.png

Hopefully there is some clarity on the backfield soon. Because THIS 👆on my bench is going to become beyond confusing..

Make sure you start the right D-Dub for the W...

Hint: its Darrel 

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Why is this guy not a flex this week? Played more snaps than McCoy, and the chiefs RB game is extremely valuable...why cant he and Mccoy both get 12-15 touches this weekend?

He could be this week.  McCoy probably won't be fully healthy, meaning Darrel will get decent work, and they may take it easy on McCoy again if the Chiefs get out to a huge lead again.  Once McCoy and/or Damien is healthy....that's the question.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

All the narratives for Darwin breaking out this year should now be applied to Darrel. Especially since he's gotten past stage 1 (Get an opportunity to play. Play well in that opportunity.)

There's a good chance that Damien and McCoy retake control of the backfield and this is all for naught.

But there's also a chance Darrel emerges as a fantasy star. And a chance gentleman, is what it's all about. 

“I did a little bit of that when I was in Philadelphia, a kind of running back-by-committee deal and we had some success with it.” Reid said during an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“We’ll do that here (in Kansas City).

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

How is Damien Williams' pass blocking?  If Darrel's is better, then I would think he'd get more snaps even if they are both healthy.

I'm not sure about Damien but Darrel is a great pass blocker. He played at LSU which (until this year) ran a super vanilla pro style offense which required the RBs to pass block. ESPECIALLY when you consider how weak the Oline was when he was there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Firing up Darrell Williams as my RB2 sans Barkley. 

I think he maintains RB2/Flex value even with McCoy. If McCoy happens to play limited snaps or get hurt during the game, Darrell vaults to solid RB2, low end RB1.

Regardless, in that offense there is a decent chance he does a couple catch and runs for 20-30 yards each in my opinion. I'm hoping Darrell can give us 12-16 pts in .5 PPR. 

Edited by mbell317
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Firing up Darrell Williams as my RB2 sans Barkley. 

I think he maintains RB2/Flex value even with McCoy. If McCoy happens to play limited snaps or get hurt during the game, Darrell vaults to solid RB2, low end RB1.

Regardless, in that offense there is a decent chance he does a couple catch and runs for 20-30 yards each in my opinion. I'm hoping Darrell can give us 12-16 pts in .5 PPR. 

It's a good matchup.  I don't expect KC to have much trouble with the Lions, so could be a lot of good work coming for him in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babyfaceassasin said:

Lions D is actually very good. Wouldn’t underestimate them 

Not good enough to stop the KC juggernaut.  Also, Lions have given up the 5th most points to RBs so far, so not exactly sure where you're getting that,  Shady and Darrel Williams are both easy starts for me this week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Not good enough to stop the KC juggernaut.  Also, Lions have given up the 5th most points to RBs so far, so not exactly sure where you're getting that,  Shady and Darrel Williams are both easy starts for me this week.

Agree.  They haven't been good at stopping the run.  https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/09/24/lions-struggling-running-game-both-sides-line/2427628001/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Oh no I’m def firing up Darrel as well. I meant that more as a Lions could beat Chiefs 

• Like 1

You kind of can’t play good run defense against the Chiefs. You have to let them bleed you on the ground and try not to give up those 75 yard Mahomes bombs that send the game out of hand.

Assuming Damien Williams is out this guy is starting for me. The offense can sustain two fantasy RBs, it’s only when there’s a third one involved that there are too many mouths to feed. And it sure looks like Darwin is the odd man out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Why is this guy not a flex this week? Played more snaps than McCoy, and the chiefs RB game is extremely valuable...why cant he and Mccoy both get 12-15 touches this weekend?

He should definitely be in flex contention if Damien Williams is out, thinking about starting over Mixon myself

4 minutes ago, atdharris said:

If Damien is out, you should start him. I don't think anyone has mentioned McCoy, but he left the game early last week with that ankle flaring up.

There's posts above with McCoy thinking he'll be fine and able to play this week.  It sounds to me like it was just a tweak and more a case of them playing it safe.  We should have a better idea as the week goes on to see how much McCoy is practicing.

I just don't see a ton of upside with Darrell if McCoy is playing.  You almost have to hope McCoy's ankle flares up again during the game.  Otherwise you're most likely looking at 6-8 carries and maybe a few catches....basically just a flex dart throw with tough volume to project.  It took him breaking like a 40 yard run late in the last game or his stats would've looked much worse.

I have the guy and hope I'm wrong.  And I might play him over Royce Freeman in my flex just because Freeman doesn't present much upside either.  But I'm sure not expecting much and surely don't feel very good about it.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

There's posts above with McCoy thinking he'll be fine and able to play this week.  It sounds to me like it was just a tweak and more a case of them playing it safe.  We should have a better idea as the week goes on to see how much McCoy is practicing.

I just don't see a ton of upside with Darrell if McCoy is playing.  You almost have to hope McCoy's ankle flares up again during the game.  Otherwise you're most likely looking at 6-8 carries and maybe a few catches....basically just a flex dart throw with tough volume to project.  It took him breaking like a 40 yard run late in the last game or his stats would've looked much worse.

I have the guy and hope I'm wrong.  And I might play him over Royce Freeman in my flex just because Freeman doesn't present much upside either.  But I'm sure not expecting much and surely don't feel very good about it.

I think 6-8 is quite low for a guy who played 50% of the snaps last week. Also, it sounds like the Chiefs and Andy like him. 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/25/kansas-city-chiefs-rb-darrel-williams-is-new-mr-consistent-on-offense/

21 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

He got 9 carries last week with McCoy clearly playing the leading role. Why would he only get 6-8 this week? 

Also he got 5 targets for 5 receptions.