Robert Covington 2019-2020 Outlook

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I AM AN IDIOT.

The ten rules of the lord 1: I am the Lord who resides in Houston 2: Thou shall draft no other players before me 3: Thou shall make many threes 4: Thou shalt not ever doubt thy Lor

Ok, here’s some analysis.  There’s this thing called defense and he’s pretty good at it.  Defense generally translates into these things called stocks.  But there’s a lot of variance in stocks so he’s

Posted Images

He needs to get traded. His skill and ability to put up stats is not in question. Minny's offense is just bad. He needs to be in a fast-paced offense with good passers. 

Pray for the Houston trade. He'd be amazing there.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, COBBLEPOT said:

you rank covington over rubio

thats all i needed to hear 

And people like you sir are the reason I crush in 8 high stakes yahoo pro leagues a year. Such short memories. Always what have you done for me lately types. Gotta love it. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, sixers11 said:

And people like you sir are the reason I crush in 8 high stakes yahoo pro leagues a year. Such short memories. Always what have you done for me lately types. Gotta love it. 

you said covington > rubio 

it’s over for you brodie. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

Rubio literally just moved into the 5th round after his last game. He's been an 7th - 8th rounder despite his "solid" performances. A lot of which have come with injuries/suspensions to Ayton/Booker. His points, 3s, and rebounds are gonna see a huge regression once they have Ayton back and the remainder of the team is healthy. 

Roco was a 5th rounder BASELINE.A lot of hindsight being pointed out here. I draft Roco (without the hindsight of this Minny clusterf***; s---y/losing culture, playing him at the 4 - wtf?? -, and just incompetent coaching) any day of the week. Anyway, we'll return to this conversation in a month. 

Edited by MuscleChestbrook
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

You're looking into the past. Smart owners look to the future. If I had Rubio I'd be really worried of a shut down post all star break. Seems like every year every decent Suns player gets a minor injury and is held out 3 times as long as they should be just so they can tank.  Now if Covington is traded (big if) Covington is unquestionably the better fantasy asset imo. 

1 hour ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Rubio literally just moved into the 5th round after his last game. He's been an 7th - 8th rounder despite his "solid" performances. A lot of which have come with injuries/suspensions to Ayton/Booker. His points, 3s, and rebounds are gonna see a huge regression once they have Ayton back and the remainder of the team is healthy. 

Roco was a 5th rounder BASELINE.A lot of hindsight being pointed out here. I draft Roco (without the hindsight of this Minny clusterf***; s---y/losing culture, playing him at the 4 - wtf?? -, and just incompetent coaching) any day of the week. Anyway, we'll return to this conversation in a month. 

Rubio > Covington 

First time Ricky runs point for a high paced offense, compared to Jazz & T-Wolves of the past. 

This year, not the future, not the past, but in this present season. 

But I won’t de-rail this thread any further. 

We need a RoCo trade asap , that much we can agree on. 

• Like 2

Alright speaking as someone who's owned both Rubio and cov since the beginning of the season - so far its Rubio and its not close. 

Cov has the potential to be a higher ranked player than Rubio but he really needs that trade 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, gmoneyb said:

Does anyone believe there is potential for both RoCo + Teague to be traded to HOU? Would Houston be interested in Teague? Maybe as backup PG duties when Westie sits?

I don't think it'll work out mathematically unless Houston gives away Capela which they will not for those 2.

I also don't think Teague is the right fit. 3&D guys seem like the ideal guys otherwise they may also be stuck with Teague for another year if they're over the soft cap.

• Like 2

It’s interesting that the Wolves held practice today and updated KAT’s status. But still no word regarding Covington. If he was injured you’d think they’d announce it by now. I don’t want to keep speculating that they’re trading him but they should at least clarify why he didn’t play much last night.

1 hour ago, NoahsArc said:

It’s interesting that the Wolves held practice today and updated KAT’s status. But still no word regarding Covington. If he was injured you’d think they’d announce it by now. I don’t want to keep speculating that they’re trading him but they should at least clarify why he didn’t play much last night.

He was benched, not injured. Maybe he took a little bump, but pretty sure that's not the reason they held him out. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, MuscleChestbrook said:

He was benched, not injured. Maybe he took a little bump, but pretty sure that's not the reason they held him out. 

To add to this, Covingtons minutes were pretty similar to both Okogie's and Culver's that game. Seems like a coach's decision on the part of all 3 of them. Might have had something to do with the coach seeing something he didnt like or simply trying something different since they're on like an 11 game losing streak 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

To add to this, Covingtons minutes were pretty similar to both Okogie's and Culver's that game. Seems like a coach's decision on the part of all 3 of them. Might have had something to do with the coach seeing something he didnt like or simply trying something different since they're on like an 11 game losing streak 

Hopefully KAT returning will help Covington in the short term. The Wolves are terrible this year. Also, Him starting at the PF has been a negative for him, it’s not his natural position. Thus leading to less stocks cause he’s been playing bigger players at that position. I’m rooting for a trade like everyone else to Houston but I don’t think they have enough chips to get him logistically. Curious to see different suitors arise as the deadline approaches. I miss the good old House Philadelphia days. That’s when life was good and I didn’t have to draft thy Lord so high and he was considered a “steal” on draft day.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:59 AM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I've been trying to look at whether this high rebound rate is sustainable. 

Over 5 games this preseason, he has AVERAGED 8.6 rebounds in 18.4 minutes. That is crazy, because it projects to 15.4 rebounds if he plays his standard 33 minutes a game.

So is there any other evidence to support the elevated rebounds? Yes.

Minny is the top team in pace in the NBA this preseason, with new coach Saunders finally putting his stamp on the team. They are at 112 vs. 100 last season. That is 12 more possessions a game, so maybe 6 more boards available. RoCo is locked in at PF, not SF. This is new, and works in a fast, modern offense. (Old Man Thibbs had his boyfriend Taj at PF. Taj is gone.) RoCo got injured before Saunders replaced Thibbs. So, RoCo never played for Saunders. 

If RoCo starts at PF, you would expect him to get at least as many Rebs as Taj got in 33 minutes, which is 7.1. Then you add the new pace, and assume most of those 6 extra boards are split between RoCo and Towns. That's 3 more boards for RoCo. I have a feeling the team will ask RoCo to be a vacuum on both sides of the ball, given his excellent crashing abilities.

Bottom line: It's not so crazy to think RoCo can get to 10+ boards per game this season.

My line projection: 13 points, 2.5 3pm, 10 rebounds, 1.78 assists, 2.3 steals, 1.5 blks on 43.3% FG/84% FT

Go ahead, call me crazy.

It’s funny how we were getting hyped over the resurgence of thy Lord this season but alas, things were not meant to be..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ml6392 said:

Reminiscing on the Philly days too... lord Roco literally won me my fantasy leagues during fantasy playoffs back then. He was what Jon Isaac is now.

More steals/threes and less blocks. He was INSANE to start the year last year, before he got injured. Had him then too. Ranked #16 overall on averages over 35 games.  :( 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

rockets contacts makes it unlikely tho. Tucker or capela arent going anywhere. Unless wolves settle for gordon and picks? 

Gordon can't be traded right?

Edit: Yeah, there is a trade restriction on Eric Gordon which expires end of February, after the trade deadline. Since he's on a 1 year deal, his entire contract is essentially untradeable. I think a trade will have to include PJ Tucker to make it work.

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Espoiral said:

It’s funny how we were getting hyped over the resurgence of thy Lord this season but alas, things were not meant to be..

True. I traded him shortly after this post, since I could see something was not right with him.