NBC Sports EDGE Forums

List of “Expert” Twitter Accounts to Avoid

MBarbarian

1 hour ago, CooL said:

This.  What I stand about the "guru" is his cadence and manner of speaking.  It's hard to explain.  He overemphasizes and formalizes players' names, and often ends sentences with a drawn out drawl or twang.  "I am ALL IN this year one one Mitchel Trubiskeeeee."  "I love love love me one Eugene Marquis Hilton."  I'm not describing it well but anybody who has listened to him will understand what I am saying.

I posted in the Evan Silva thread about this as well, but I can't stand Fantasy Alarm's Howard Bender.  His voice is grating and not soothing, and he always sounds like he's had five cups of coffee.  But the most annoying thing is that he's always shilling to get people to pay for the Fantasy Alarm Draft Guide.  "Come on, people!  If you want to win, you must must must get the Draft Guide.  For less than $20!  They are going like hot cakes, hurry up and get in on the action so you too can start winning!"  What, if I don't pony up today for the draft guide, I'm at risk for it selling out because everybody is apparently buying it?  It's not like Krispy Kreme donuts used to be back in the day.

A general observation about Twitter is that a lot of these experts really are using Twitter to send us links to their (sometimes) pay-for-play podcasts.  I'm certainly not going to pay for podcasts, and sometimes I just don't have time to listen to all of them.  Why not some real journalism and put some words down on paper?

I totally agree! He just sounds like a tool!

Matthew Berry gets a ton of flack because he's the best-known guy.  I actually think he has a lot of interesting information and does a good job.  

Like many posted in here, the pros' opinions aren't likely to be materially better (if at all) than most opinions on here.  But before you think of yourself as smarter than the experts, keep this in mind: people like Berry, Eric Karabell, etc. are paid to analyze fantasy sports, which means they can dedicate a lot more time than we can to it because the rest of us have to actually work for a living.  And so they are taking in a lot more information in coming to their conclusions than we are.  That's worth something.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

The fantasypros duo is bad.

1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

TERRIBLE

Should preface, it's not a personal attack. It's all subjective...Precisely why we should all tap into our inner 'expert'

Go with your guys. Trust your gut. So much more gratifying when you succeed that way.

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Matthew Berry gets a ton of flack because he's the best-known guy.  I actually think he has a lot of interesting information and does a good job.  

Like many posted in here, the pros' opinions aren't likely to be materially better (if at all) than most opinions on here.  But before you think of yourself as smarter than the experts, keep this in mind: people like Berry, Eric Karabell, etc. are paid to analyze fantasy sports, which means they can dedicate a lot more time than we can to it because the rest of us have to actually work for a living.  And so they are taking in a lot more information in coming to their conclusions than we are.  That's worth something.

I agree! Berry gives solid information. Just make sure you fast forward the first ten minutes of the podcast to get to anything football related.

Does anyone know which experts are generally known for breaking news the quickest?

For instance, last season when the Kareem Hunt incident happened suddenly in the middle of the week, which Twitter guys broke that news initially?

38 minutes ago, JDE said:

Does anyone know which experts are generally known for breaking news the quickest?

For instance, last season when the Kareem Hunt incident happened suddenly in the middle of the week, which Twitter guys broke that news initially?

Probably Rapaport and Schefter. The issue with Rapaport is he tends to put out news that isn't true all the time, in an effort to be "first"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Maaaaaan Berry was telling people to pick up Alred Morris, this idiot starts him and cry's on the Monday after when he s--- the bed. I told people on here not to do that dumbass s---. Dude had a meltdown lmao forget him he's always wrong to me I used to get burned back then listening to that guy when I really got into this, stopped listening to him years ago, and he's always late to the party

Edited by CABLE87

10 hours ago, mongidig said:

I agree! Berry gives solid information. Just make sure you fast forward the first ten minutes of the podcast to get to anything football related.

I like Berry for two reasons

1. He's funny in a corny but still kind of charming way, like a coworker who lightens your Monday a bit

2. He tells you exactly who the normies want, so you know if you want that guy too, you'll have to be aggressive

3. Field Yates liked one of my tweets once

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Only if that time translates into accuracy, which it never has. These guys are paid to be entertaining, not accurate. That doesn't help you win.

Just because someone gets paid to do something does not mean they spend more time than normal researching that topic or know more than a layman. I work as a technician for a very large electronics company and I can tell you now I work with people that have college degrees and have been there for just as long as I've worked there or longer and they still don't know a lot and give people bad advice. 

I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts so I'll mention the 4 I listen to regularly. First 2 I listen to daily, second 2 if I have spare time.

Chris Harris is my absolute favorite. Super nerd, but I love his analysis. He has a lot of contrarian ranks this preseason but most of his ranks are off watching film and ranking players based on talent. He also talks a lot about avoiding rankings players off this like game script, predicting which teams and situations will be good before we get there. He does talk a lot about sponsors but you have to pay the bills somehow and I zone them out at this point. I've paid for his player almanac 2 years now, it's short money and lots of good info, well worth it my opinion.

I like the fantasy footballers a lot, they're very entertaining and they're usually ranked pretty high on the accuracy grades. They feel a lot like what it would be to get 3 friends together and just shoot the bull about fantasy football.

Rotounderworld with Matt Kelly, he's more dynasty and DFS focused and a lot of content is behind a big pay wall but he does a lot of metrics based analysis. He's much more vulgar but hands down the most entertaining podcast.

FantasyPros, I like Sylvester but Tagliere makes my skin crawl and I just assume the opposite of what he says.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

I agree with this on everyone except Berry.

I used to listen to his podcast and read his articles but last time I paid any attention to Berry was about two years ago. Maybe he’s gotten better but it was painfully clear when I stopped that the only thing Berry is interested in is writing jokes and putting on a “funny” show. It was very apparent to me last time I checked in that he was giving FF little attention. For example he did a podcast before the NFL draft and touched on some topics without any real deep dives, then didn’t have another podcast until late June and maybe even July where proceeded to talk about the exact same players and issues he’d covered in his last podcast months before. That is beyond sloppy. He also didn’t write many articles. He had that Top 100 article which is great but I got the feeling the ESPN stat department was putting that together. He just really doesn’t seem to do much analysis. The fact that he yucks it up for as much as 15 minutes before even talking about football doesn’t help either. 

Contrast that with Pat Mayo who basically openly admits to not caring and being unable to accurately predict anything but will still provide some pretty good analysis and stats. He may not care but he still gives you a lot of info. Berry gives you a wannabe morning zoo show. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I agree with this on everyone except Berry.

I used to listen to his podcast and read his articles but last time I paid any attention to Berry was about two years ago. Maybe he’s gotten better but it was painfully clear when I stopped that the only thing Berry is interested in is writing jokes and putting on a “funny” show. It was very apparent to me last time I checked in that he was giving FF little attention. For example he did a podcast before the NFL draft and touched on some topics without any real deep dives, then didn’t have another podcast until late June and maybe even July where proceeded to talk about the exact same players and issues he’d covered in his last podcast months before. That is beyond sloppy. He also didn’t write many articles. He had that Top 100 article which is great but I got the feeling the ESPN stat department was putting that together. He just really doesn’t seem to do much analysis. The fact that he yucks it up for as much as 15 minutes before even talking about football doesn’t help either. 

Contrast that with Pat Mayo who basically openly admits to not caring and being unable to accurately predict anything but will still provide some pretty good analysis and stats. He may not care but he still gives you a lot of info. Berry gives you a wannabe morning zoo show. 

Not defending Barry, but he is paid to be a tv personality.  So he does have to make it entertaining, otherwise nobody is going to tune in.  I enjoyed him more when he put out more ESPN written content.  I think maybe it was one or two seasons ago, when he was starting to gain massive popularity, that he evenly openly said something that he was focusing more on videos and podcasts and not written content.  Like most of these guys do.  Seems like every other tweet/post these days from these experts is a link to their (pay wall) podcast or some video.  Things I don't want to or can't watch/listen at work! 

I have been listening to a few more podcasts during free time, and I have found that a lot of the analysis is stuff that we all already know.  I'm guessing if you are frequenting these forums, that you consider yourselves a little wiser than the average fantasy footballer.  So do we need somebody to tell us that the TB running situation is a garbled mess?  That Baker and Kyler Murray looked shaky?  Danny Dimes looks like the future?  Darrell Waller is a tight end sleeper?  Darwin Thompson might take over the backfield in the second half of the season?  No, we already all know this!  What I appreciate the most is those next level stats that I don't have access to.  I know some here pay for PFF stats, I don't want to do that.  So I like hearing about offensive line ratings, yards after contact / elusiveness, team red zone efficiency and tendencies, etc.

• Like 1

I also listen to podcasts and I do get useful info from them such as Joe Mixon scoring 7 less points (!) every time the Bangles were trailing last year, the Bills beat reporters feeling the need to rave about C Samuels being the best WR on the field during joint practices and data that I don’t have time to track down or research. 

I also like podcasts casts because they also stay pretty up to date for ADPs and talk about drafting from different positions since the leagues I’m in randomly pick your draft spot every year 15 minutes before the draft. 

Discussions about two or three players I’m torn on or am uncertain about also help. 

As far as entertaining goes, I don’t buy the idea that you can only be entertaining at the expense of analysis. I think Adam Azer runs a great podcast on CBS, I like the Fantasy Pros guys just fine and I love Pat Mayo who as I said, openly states he had no idea and doesn’t care but is funny as hell while still providing solid analysis. Mayos Tim Andercust bits are some of the funniest exchanges in FF. 

21 hours ago, dms80790 said:

Probably Rapaport and Schefter. The issue with Rapaport is he tends to put out news that isn't true all the time, in an effort to be "first"

Schefter is good with news and reports because he is probably the most plugged in insider. But his fantasy advices or articles freaking bad. The one on ESPN fantasy front page right now with his Sleepers and value picks and he started the article with Patrick Mahomes. I stopped reading after that. 

5 hours ago, CooL said:

Not defending Barry, but he is paid to be a tv personality.  So he does have to make it entertaining, otherwise nobody is going to tune in.  I enjoyed him more when he put out more ESPN written content.  

Maybe I’m just getting old and haven’t adapted with the times, but therein lies the problem with ESPN in general.  They have made a concerted effort to try to broaden their appeal to a wider demographic (female), which makes many of their shows come across as a sports equivalent of “The View” (I work in a sports med clinic with TVs on all day, so we see the gamut of their programming).  An inordinate amount of time is spent talking about frivolous off field issues (what NBA player has a twitter beef with who), instead of actual news/analysis about sports.  

I agree there has to be some entertainment value, but I think the entertainment vs analysis “ratio” is much different for true hard core sports fans vs the demographic that ESPN is trying to appeal to.  It’s hard for true fans to take a guy like Berry seriously with the incredibly lame skits he partakes in (puppets?!).

More to your point, unfortunately, it may be that those guys who would be the best fantasy analysts (stat geeks) wouldn’t have the on air personalities to ever make it on tv.

• Like 2

Berry ruined his reputation forever after the whole Michael Vick fiasco back in 2011 and rightfully so. That was easily the worst take any big name fantasy “expert” has ever had about a single player and he was so aggressively pushing the issue for months.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:34 PM, KennyWoo said:

Berry spends all his time telling boring a** stories about his life that no one cares about.

F Matt Berry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, CooL said:

Ha.  Obviously up above in my post I meant to say I "can't stand" instead of "stand".   Yours is a good example, but it's really "I am totally in on Bobby Trees this year".  Another - "Even my MOTHER knows that one Christopher Godwin is a can't miss sleeper this year down. Luuuvvvvv him this year down in Tampa Baaaaaayyyy." It's really the cadence and drawn out words that I can't stand.  

I really enjoy listening to Greg Cosell of NFL Films.  Very insightful, analytical.  He doesn't really speak of much from the fantasy perspective but really just gives pure professional assessments of a player's skill level and game.  And then I can make my own inferences from there in regards to what to do.

HAHA! You nailed the "Guru" perfectly. I'd rather listen to Real Talk Raph during the 7:00 - 10:00 slot. Or even better, Jeff Ratecliffe.  I do enjoy Greg Cosell and Adam Caplan, but the "Guru" grates on my nerves!

Good: Koerner, Boone, Ciely, Paulsen, Evan Silva, Chris Raybon, Some of the Yahoo guys (Pianowski, Behrens), Fitzmaurice, Ratcliffe.

Avoid: Adam Rank, Dave Richard, Bobby Sylvester, Brad Evans (though he's bold and entertaining), Rotoworld guys after Silva left, ESPN guys for the most part, NFL network guys for the most part.

Edited by Moonstar81
  • Like 2