NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Stafford 2019 Outlook

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s basically free because he sucks.  As someone who is forced to watch Stafford s--- the bed week after week, it’s not hard fo believe that no one wants to draft him. He’s not good. Calvin John

Besides last season while he played through back fractures and did not have Golladay, Marvin Jones, or kerryon for the final 5 games, in what planet can you say this? How can you back this up at all?

“Pardon me stewardess, but I speak Jive” - June Cleaver, Airplane (1978)

8 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

I’m still holding, but with the Lions’ playoff chances dwindling I’m becoming more concerned with a potential shutdown.

legit concern, no doubt. 

last i saw bandied about his return was perhaps Turkey Day ... dunno, man 🤔

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

Well...I guess maybe he's droppable depending on who you could pick up and what your roster looks like....

On the other hand though, he could also be a great pickup or buy low.  I mean, he's been a top 10 fantasy QB this year and from what I've read I think this injury sounds worse than it really is.  I've seen other QB's playing through a similar injury and Pro Football Doc thinks this is something he could play effectively with.  It's not like he's a big runner anyways.

If you're a team hurting at QB, he's probably a very cheap acquisition right now that could pay big dividends.  I kinda like those Wee k14 and Week 15 matchups as he lit up the Vikings in the last game and the Bucs are downright terrible on defense.  And we know the Lions have zero running game so they're throwing it a lot.

The injury is a damper and does increase his risk....But he also comes cheaper right now and could pay dividends.

Agree what you've stated here.  Someone out right dropped him and I immediately scooped him up.  This was before the full disclosure regarding his back but for now I'm holding because he was a top 5 QB in my 6pt TD league before he sat out last game.

Reports indicate he should be back for the Thanksgiving game.  I hope he's not IRed, gets right and hopefully shows us something when he gets back but folks who have been struggling at QB should be all over this guy until we know otherwise.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zekepeak86 said:

OUT

Yeah hopefully back the following week for the Thanksgiving game.  That would put him out for exactly 3 week period his injury would put him out. 

Stafford stated there is no way he's sitting out the rest of the season.  So unless he's IRed which doesn't look likely he'll be back.

Matthew Stafford says he made 'right decision' to sit out Bears game

Now how effective he'll be is another matter but I'm optimistic he'll be near 100 percent when he's ready to go. 

Anyone out there besides me still holding? 

Being so close to FF playoffs and then trusting him with perhaps no time to audition and shake off rust beforehand with your season on the line is my biggest concern.

13 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Yeah hopefully back the following week for the Thanksgiving game.  That would put him out for exactly 3 week period his injury would put him out. 

Stafford stated there is no way he's sitting out the rest of the season.  So unless he's IRed which doesn't look likely he'll be back.

Matthew Stafford says he made 'right decision' to sit out Bears game

Now how effective he'll be is another matter but I'm optimistic he'll be near 100 percent when he's ready to go. 

Anyone out there besides me still holding? 

Being so close to FF playoffs and then trusting him with perhaps no time to audition and shake off rust beforehand with your season on the line is my biggest concern.

I would think there's some legit concern with him missing Washington next week, then you've got Bears, Vikings, Bucs and Broncos.

Basically a one week play in week 15 against Tampa, IMO.  Say if you're in line for a week 14 bye in a six team playoff, have somebody else ready for weeks 12, 13 and 16 I see the merit because Tampa sets up well.  But it is what it is at this point.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, topshelf10 said:

Seems like a drop now

And lions should protect him and IR him

yeah. assuming they lose today's game they're pretty much out of the playoff hunt. it makes long term sense to just IR him and let him heal completely in preparation for next season. Makes my Golladay almost worthless but it feels like the logical thing to do.

Still holding but if he's not back by Thanksgiving I might have to drop. I'm just speculating here but I think they're going to keep his status in the air with the hope he's back for that spotlight game. If he's not then I don't see what else he has to play for this season with them likely out of the playoff picture.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, whatisfootball said:

Still holding but if he's not back by Thanksgiving I might have to drop. I'm just speculating here but I think they're going to keep his status in the air with the hope he's back for that spotlight game. If he's not then I don't see what else he has to play for this season with them likely out of the playoff picture.

There's no way they allow him to come back now is there?

Anybody holding Stafford for his possible Week 15 dream matchup with the Bucs if he's back?

Or has everyone dropped him?

I'm not sure what to think if he plays again this year or not.  The Lions really have no reason to play him as their season is over for every intensive purpose.  But Stafford is a gamer.

I wonder if the only reason they didn't IR him was just to buy some time to see if they could win a couple games with Driskel.  Obviously, they haven't.  They'll likely drop to 3-7-1 after this week and they aren't beating the Vikings Week 14 unless Stafford were to play.  And they probably still don't win.

But if he were playing Week 15, he'd be looking at a pretty big ceiling game.

Seems to me the "Smart" thing to do would be to IR him, lose some games and improve their draft position next year.

4 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Anybody holding Stafford for his possible Week 15 dream matchup with the Bucs if he's back?

Or has everyone dropped him?

I'm not sure what to think if he plays again this year or not.  The Lions really have no reason to play him as their season is over for every intensive purpose.  But Stafford is a gamer.

I wonder if the only reason they didn't IR him was just to buy some time to see if they could win a couple games with Driskel.  Obviously, they haven't.  They'll likely drop to 3-7-1 after this week and they aren't beating the Vikings Week 14 unless Stafford were to play.  And they probably still don't win.

But if he were playing Week 15, he'd be looking at a pretty big ceiling game.

Seems to me the "Smart" thing to do would be to IR him, lose some games and improve their draft position next year.

I honestly think the only reason he hasn’t been IRed as of yet was so they could squeeze the maximum amount of ticket buyers for the Thanksgiving game. It really makes no sense for him to come back but I’m still rostering for now because the thought of a playoff opponent picking him up if he does return would piss me off.