NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damarea Crockett 2019 Outlook

14 hours ago, markrc99 said:

I figured Karan Higdon would get the call, but I expect them to go shopping. 

I saw Higdon blow a pass protection last night (basically he just got pushed aside).

Crockett didn't look great at it either, although some of the scouting report sites say he was decent at it coming out.

I think you're right, they're probably going shopping for someone to pair up with Duke Johnson.  They probably should call the Bills.

I cut my last round pick to get him hoping he might have a chance, but he is first on my cut list for a waiver pickup. I'd say it's a wait and see, but don't go nuts if something better is out there.

here's to hoping.

Edited by altmin
45 minutes ago, altmin said:

I cut my last round pick to get him hoping he might have a chance, but he is first on my cut list for a waiver pickup. I'd say it's a wait and see, but don't go nuts if something better is out there.

here's to hoping.

I think this is the correct approach. There's a non-zero chance that the Texans are idiots and see Duke as nothing more than a pass-catching back. I'd add Crockett if you own Duke, with the expectation that Houston will very likely bring in a much better running back and Crockett will be droppable again. Far more upside than your 16th round pick likely has though, in the event they don't sign someone else and he sees 250 touches and performs admirably.

11 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Anyone got anything positive to say about this kid?  Haven't really watched any Texans games this pre season

I drafted him as a 5th rder in a dynasty league. Big slasher with nice long speed. Good 1 cut runner. Reminds me a little of Isaiah Crowell as far as his running style. 

On 8/25/2019 at 6:47 AM, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

With Lamar Miller going down can we expect heavy usage out of Crockett on early downs or is he gonna get passed over for a free agent signee?

I did a quick check:

- undrafted in 2019 (25 RBs were drafted)

- College stats ok, but nothing spectaculair: last season 709/7 + 12/88/1. #1 RB was Larry Rountree, who was a sophomore

- I found these highlights against a strong team (Florida Gators, 12): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1NC625LWL0 he has a bad play at 0:00, a good play at 0:17, then stuffed t 0:46, a nice pass block in the next play. Good stuff and meh stuff, as you would expect. This is not a star, but a guy who will have to work for it. He had 21 carries for 114/1, and 1 rec for -2 yards in this game, which is good against a top team. 

I also found this draft profile: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/damarea-crockett It does more or less describe what I see in the footage, but I think it may be an older profile as it mentions 9 career catches, and he added 12 receptions in 2018.

I think this is an interesting kid in Dynasty formats or in deep redrafts. Definitely worth keeping an eye on in the first couple weeks.

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

Bought my ticket -- got my window seat waiting to see if it leaves the tracks....or another train comes rolling through.

4 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Did Crockett come in immediately after Lamar got hurt saturday?

Taiwan Jones was the 1st in but he's more of a vet/ST guy.. Then I believe Higdon came in but was ineffective. The buzz around Texans camp is that Crockett is the most talented young back. He ran a 4.4 40 at 225 LBS. I drafted him in the 17th on Saturday night after the news broke, though he's obviously first on my chopping block if he gets no work Wk 1 or they sign someone.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Taiwan Jones was the 1st in but he's more of a vet/ST guy.. Then I believe Higdon came in but was ineffective. The buzz around Texans camp is that Crockett is the most talented young back. He ran a 4.4 40 at 225 LBS. I drafted him in the 17th on Saturday night after the news broke, though he's obviously first on my chopping block if he gets no work Wk 1 or they sign someone.

oh ok good stuff. Looks like he is last in line then.

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

he's obviously first on my chopping block if he gets no work Wk 1 or they sign someone.

My exact thinking after drafting him late as well. I might hold on a little longer just in case. I'm in a multiple keeper league so maybe he pans out.

He is a decent flyer but frankly, I see no way Houston is not going to get someone else.  They are probably waiting to see who gets cut in final rounds from the other teams before doing anything.  I wouldn't sign anyone until I knew what the entire free agent pool looked like.

• Like 1

Even if the Texans sign someone, someone who is cut who couldn't make that team for whatever reason, be it poor play, younger players, whatever, if said player goes to the Texans, who's to say said player will suddenly play better or beat out the younger Duke or Crockett? 

7 minutes ago, MetsSox said:

Even if the Texans sign someone, someone who is cut who couldn't make that team for whatever reason, be it poor play, younger players, whatever, if said player goes to the Texans, who's to say said player will suddenly play better or beat out the younger Duke or Crockett? 

It's not a given but they'll definitely try to find someone, won't they?  And that creates risk for Duke and the other current Texan RBs.

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Same 

19 minutes ago, MetsSox said:

The Texans have had the most significant RB injury thus far and with week 3 being over, it's unlikely that there'll be any more significant injuries. 

If not the Texans, then nobody is going to sign Ajayi (or Hyde) in the next couple of weeks. If the Texans are optimistic with what they have, then they can afford to wait how things shake out at week 1. 

6 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

They could also be waiting until after week 1 to sign Ajayi, since they wouldn't have to guarantee his contract if they wait until then. This makes sense of they're skeptical of his knees.

Ooooh, forgot about that one!  Excellent point.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Damarea Crockett 2019 Outlook