NBC Sports EDGE Forums

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside 2019 Outlook

pushaZ

While he's behind several receivers, I'd note that:

Desean Jackson has played 2 full seasons since he came into the league in 2008. Averaged 12.75 games over the last 4 seasons. 

Nelson Agholor averaged 15 games over the last 4 years.

Zach Ertz has averaged 14.75 over the last 4 years.

Alshon Jeffrey has averaged 12.5.

He might have some opportunities and if he stands out during them it'll be hard to take him off the field. In dynasty/keeper I like him, but in like a 10 team redraft I probably won't touch him on draft day.

Kind of surprised he's not getting more attention in drafts. I know he's buried on the depth chart but he looked great in the preseason, was a high draft pick, and plays in a good offense. I've been able to get him in the last round of my keeper leagues. I can see why people are passing in redraft, but surprised he's only 2% owned on Yahoo with all the keeper leagues out there. Agholor will be gone next season unless they resign him (doubtful), and Desean Jackson isn't getting any younger. 

• Like 1

Seems like the most talented receiver on the team...thats not hyperbole...reminds me of prime Miles Austin and a more polished rookie version of Mike Evans...lotta inj prone WRs "in his way" but Pederson is going to give him chances and he will capitalize imo...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Seems like the most talented receiver on the team...thats not hyperbole...reminds me of prime Miles Austin and a more polished rookie version of Mike Evans...lotta inj prone WRs "in his way" but Pederson is going to give him chances and he will capitalize imo...

I'm excited about this kid.  He does remind a lot like Miles Austin.  I see both JJ and Miles Sanders becoming major contributors to the Eagles this season.  Alshon simply is just not that great imo.

The bigger question is what's his nickname gonna be...?

Edited by skye2388
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

I'm excited about this kid.  He does remind a lot like Miles Austin.  I see both JJ and Miles Sanders becoming major contributors to the Eagles this season.  Alshon simply is just not that great imo.

The bigger question is what's his nickname gonna be...?

JJAWS! Bouta devour all dbacks in his way

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet thread considering DJax is already out Week 3 and likely Week 4 and Jeffrey is pretty uncertain.  Neither of these guys have models of health in recent years.

JJ played 93% of the snaps against the Falcons.  

Yeah, Agholor is probably the safer pickup if you're looking for a short-term plug in.  But you know what you're getting there....And it isn't anything exciting.

Most probably will grab Nelson but JJ could be the sneaky guy to pickup for cheap.  

Arcega-Whiteside's impact will be even greater if Jeffery is absent, as he's similarly a jump ball receiver. While JJ looked a little lost on the field on Sunday night, keep in mind that the Eagles used JJ all week long to mimic Julio Jones during practice, leading up to the game (JJ is 6'2', 225 lb). He was more focused helping out the defense than his role on offense. If both Alshon & Desean are out, he should certainly be more prepared for the Lions.

He already showed off his ability during the preseason:

5 minutes ago, bigpinero said:

I forgot to bid on Agholor so I had to settle for JJ. Haven't seen him play but is it fair to expect him to have a shot at similar targets than Agholor if both DJ and Jeffery are ruled out? 

Probably not. He hasn't had much time with Wentz and Ertz/Agholor are gonna soak up almost all the targets, I could see them both getting 12 each. Hollins is gonna see some targets and so should the RBs (I expect a lot of designed passes for Sanders and Sproles). JJ will definitely be seeing targets in the EZ. He minght only see 5 targets, but might score 2 TDs. I don't care who covering him, the kid has ELITE skills high pointing the ball.

2 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Probably not. He hasn't had much time with Wentz and Ertz/Agholor are gonna soak up almost all the targets, I could see them both getting 12 each. Hollins is gonna see some targets and so should the RBs (I expect a lot of designed passes for Sanders and Sproles). JJ will definitely be seeing targets in the EZ. He minght only see 5 targets, but might score 2 TDs. I don't care who covering him, the kid has ELITE skills high pointing the ball.

Seems like a better bet for 2020.  

This guy is something of a long shot but he looks the part.  He could be a redzone and jumpball monster while also being a possession guy.  He is a better bet for 2020 but he does have an opportunity to be something this week and if he does that, who knows where it leads.  

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Seems like a better bet for 2020.  

If all the Eagles WRs were healthy I'd agree, but they're not. JJ is getting his opportunity this week and next week to show what he's got. Pederson is going to put the kid in a position to utilize his raw talent to make plays rather than have him be dependent on timing with Wentz and understanding the play book. With Wentz the RZ starts at the 40 and every yard closer to the GL from there increases the opportunity for JJ to make a play doing what he's already exceptional at.

• Like 2

I was looking at him but

1) I don't feel comfortable enough to start him this week

2) If I can't start him this week he either plays well and I can start him next week *maybe*, but that's likely the max with Alshon/Djax coming back.

So, maybe a good dart throw but I wouldn't pass up someone with season long potential for him.