NBC Sports Edge Forums

21 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

TE?

My plan, which I'm thinking of changing because no plan survives first contact, is to go with 3 RBs, TE, and QB in the first 5 rounds - then pound receivers the next 5.

I think this middle tier of RBs is good for that.  KJ, AJ, Mack, Montgomery, Mixon, Fournette, Henry, Ingram, DWill, Jacobs, and whoever I'm forgetting are all fairly indistinguishable to my mind

I'm leaning towards a similar plan in my standard league tonight.  I like the high upside WRs that are around those rounds.  Since I can play 3rd RB at flex, I want to have those spots locked up.  In a PPR I might be thinking differently though.

Edited by Bowman
  • Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think I've finally got my bearings with this group, although I include Sony Michel as well: 1. LFournette - I don't think he belongs in the tier with these other guys.  Top 5 overall draft pick,

I agree its tough to gauge and I think a convincing argument could be made for any of these guys to be first and for some  drop them out of the group entirely.    Aaron Jones: I think he has

Whoa! mock drafts? Game changer.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

TE?

My plan, which I'm thinking of changing because no plan survives first contact, is to go with 3 RBs, TE, and QB in the first 5 rounds - then pound receivers the next 5.

I think this middle tier of RBs is good for that.  KJ, AJ, Mack, Montgomery, Mixon, Fournette, Henry, Ingram, DWill, Jacobs, and whoever I'm forgetting are all fairly indistinguishable to my mind

I never seem to like my teams when I grab both a TE and QB early... one or the other, and it’s usually TE.  So much value to be had later at QB.

9 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I never seem to like my teams when I grab both a TE and QB early... one or the other, and it’s usually TE.  So much value to be had later at QB.

There is, but in a 6 pt passing standard league, getting a 40 TD guy is a big advantage. I usually wait on QBs, and have had similar experiences to what you say, but I really like the later round WRs this year and think 2 out of 5 can be found to fill out those spots

On 8/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, miasma16 said:

Jacobs has no competition for carries and his team should be good enough in all relevant respects for him to excel. Concerns about his ability to stay healthy are a bit ridiculous imo.

Carson and Williams both have some competition for touches. I doubt it amounts to much of anything.

Montgomery should be fine, but Nagy is an idiot, so that's a concern.

Aaron Jones has had trouble staying on the field. LaFleur likes committees. See below.

Jacksonville has arguably the worst offense in the league, Fournette gets injured every year, and DeFilippo is infatuated with the passing game. He'll end up on 0 of my teams this year.

That is a rather disturbing quote regarding A Jones

At this stage you could add in Marlin Mack?   

Why is he not on the list?  With Luck gone, his ADP has been dropping considerably.  He will generally be there around the same spot as the before mentioned backs.  Of course , I would have to list him higher than most on the list.

36 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Yea but McCarthy got run out of town partly for not using Jones and Coleman >>>>>Jamaal Williams.

Aaron Jones (of all mid-round RBs with questions) needs the least amount of touches bc of his efficiency.  

Him, Williams, and Fournette are the clear top options of the RBs being discussed here.

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

We've heard this story before. It's frustrating for A.Jones' fantasy stock that he's effectively back to square 1 but I think he's the much better talent than Williams and given the offense and his high ypc he doesn't need to be a 20+ carry per game 3 down workhorse to be valuable. In fact you don't even really want him to be that guy given his health history. I think if you look at the tape it's night and day between Jamaal and Jones. His only "saving grace" was his pass blocking chops and I think that was even exaggerated especially relative to Jones who I think at least at one point was grading out as a better blocker than Williams. If there is a Williams to be worried about it would be rookie Dexter Williams who I think is better than Jamaal and will leap him on the depth chart eventually. 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, bgar15 said:

How do you view this tier and how do you rank them? Very tough tier to gauge and will likely be there in that 3rd/4th round territory in most drafts.

Especially relevant for those who pick towards the end of the draft and end up going WR-WR.

Chris Carson

Aaron Jones

Damian Williams

Leonard Fournette

Josh Jones

Derrick Henry

David Montgomery 

What about kerryon, Marlon, and devonta? To me that whole tier after dalvin to Ingram could be hit or miss

• Like 1

doubled down on this tier last night with Aaron Jones and Fournette as my 3rd/4th picks in a 12-team standard...hoping they stay healthy and put up decent stats lol.  Upside is definitely there, but the floor and injury risk is scary

Edited by swetooth9
On 8/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, bgar15 said:

How do you view this tier and how do you rank them? Very tough tier to gauge and will likely be there in that 3rd/4th round territory in most drafts.

Especially relevant for those who pick towards the end of the draft and end up going WR-WR.

Chris Carson

Aaron Jones

Damian Williams

Leonard Fournette

Josh Jones

Derrick Henry

David Montgomery 

I'm fading Aaron Jones. He's already had Hammy issues and his schedule is brutal both to open and close the season. 

Fournette shouldn't be included here. He has top 5 RB upside.

Carson is a nice solid play but not a huge upside guy. If the light bulb ever goes on for Penny it would severly cap Carson's upside. That being said, it's a pretty big RB pie in Seattle if this were to ever happen and as of this reading there is no indication it has.

I love Montgomery but I don't love his were you have to get him. You just never know how a team is gonna utilize it's rookies not named Zeke or Barkley.

I'm fading Henry. I think this team is gonna stink so not liking the game scripts. 

I'd probably take Kerryon or Fournette over Williams so it's not gonna matter to me. My gut say's bust.

I'm undecided on Jacobs. Love the talent and potential usage. Hate the offensive line and potential that the Raiders may just suck again.

Josh Jones....Sleeper of the year!

12 minutes ago, mongidig said:

I'm fading Aaron Jones. He's already had Hammy issues and his schedule is brutal both to open and close the season. 

Fournette shouldn't be included here. He has top 5 RB upside.

Carson is a nice solid play but not a huge upside guy. If the light bulb ever goes on for Penny it would severly cap Carson's upside. That being said, it's a pretty big RB pie in Seattle if this were to ever happen and as of this reading there is no indication it has.

I love Montgomery but I don't love his were you have to get him. You just never know how a team is gonna utilize it's rookies not named Zeke or Barkley.

I'm fading Henry. I think this team is gonna stink so not liking the game scripts. 

I'd probably take Kerryon or Fournette over Williams so it's not gonna matter to me. My gut say's bust.

I'm undecided on Jacobs. Love the talent and potential usage. Hate the offensive line and potential that the Raiders may just suck again.

Josh Jones....Sleeper of the year!

In IDP league???

On 8/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jaw1 said:

We've heard this story before. It's frustrating for A.Jones' fantasy stock that he's effectively back to square 1 but I think he's the much better talent than Williams and given the offense and his high ypc he doesn't need to be a 20+ carry per game 3 down workhorse to be valuable. In fact you don't even really want him to be that guy given his health history. I think if you look at the tape it's night and day between Jamaal and Jones. His only "saving grace" was his pass blocking chops and I think that was even exaggerated especially relative to Jones who I think at least at one point was grading out as a better blocker than Williams. If there is a Williams to be worried about it would be rookie Dexter Williams who I think is better than Jamaal and will leap him on the depth chart eventually. 

He looks like the clear superior talent in GB but there has to be a reason why GB has continually refused to let him be the RB1 and even this year Lefleur is talking about a committee.  I really think there is something going on behind the scenes with him that we’re not privy to, maybe work ethic or issues picking up the schemes.  I get the upside but he terrifies me more than any of the other guys in this group.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:31 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I took Marlon Mack. They still have a solid line, Hilton, 2 tight ends. Think people are just down on Brissett, but I was able to steal Mack in the 40s.

I don’t think Mack belongs in this tier anymore.  Much of his value was derived from being the main RB in an elite offense and that offense isn’t elite anymore.

19 hours ago, herschel said:

May reach for Sony above everyone in this tier except for DWill. Barring an injury, I think he has the safest floor of the group.

I agree.  Could legitimately lead the NFL in rushing TDs.

1. High pedigree as a 1st round pick

2. Very productive when he played last year

3. A steady positive drumbeat coming out of training camp about him

4. One of the best offenses for RB production in the entire NFL

5. The handcuff situation is actually pretty cheap and clear cut.  We know that the goal line/RB1 role in NE is a top 12 RB every year and I don’t see anyone but Michel or Harris filling that role. You can easily get Harris in round 10.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

I agree.  Could legitimately lead the NFL in rushing TDs.

1. High pedigree as a 1st round pick

2. Very productive when he played last year

3. A steady positive drumbeat coming out of training camp about him

4. One of the best offenses for RB production in the entire NFL

5. The handcuff situation is actually pretty cheap and clear cut.  We know that the goal line/RB1 role in NE is a top 12 RB every year and I don’t see anyone but Michel or Harris filling that role. You can easily get Harris in round 10.

Develin, Burkhead, White and the inevitable Brady sneak will vulture their fair share of GL TDs, but there is plenty to go around in this offense....

Edited by herschel
5 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

He looks like the clear superior talent in GB but there has to be a reason why GB has continually refused to let him be the RB1 and even this year Lefleur is talking about a committee.  I really think there is something going on behind the scenes with him that we’re not privy to, maybe work ethic or issues picking up the schemes.  I get the upside but he terrifies me more than any of the other guys in this group.

Yeah, I don't have a definitive answer to that. His rookie year TyMont was top of the depth chart and Packers used him a TON before he got injured. Jamaal Williams was #2 on the depth chart and the slightly higher draft capital but he quickly got injured opening door for Jones who looked really good then sprained one MCL came back a few games later and sprained his other MCL (that was like week 16 so effectively ended his season). Then last year he opened the season on a 2-game suspension (stemming from a Marijuana-related arrest; idk the full details but while certainly not a positive doesn't appear on the surface to be a MAJOR red flag) but they eased him back in and looked just as good as he had when healthy the season prior and like he was deserving of more work. A common excuse for him being held back especially with Jamaal Williams being favored at times was due to pass blocking. Eventually, TyMont was traded (conceivably because they felt Jones was ready for a bigger role) and Jones killed it in a larger role until once again he sprained his MCL (the right one, the one he first injured his rookie year) which cost him another 2 games (which was rest of season).

Therefore, the suspension may be a sign of some character concerns but it sounds like he may have been held back some due to his pass blocking  (IIRC he ended last season graded higher in blocking than Jamaal Williams) but eventually Packers pushed him into a lead role with only an injury (really injuries) holding him back. Lefleur has been talking committee but I think that's easy to say and as evidence in his previous job with Titans, when push comes to shove your going to play who gives you the best chance to win and I think Jones is clearly that guy. Additionally, Jones isn't the type of back who needs 20+ carries as he lead the league in yards per attempt last year so committee isn't necessarily a dirty word since the assumption is he'll get majority of carries and limiting his touches will hopefully help keep him healthy. I don't think Jamaal Williams is any threat to his role (just a bit of a change of pace type to limit Jones' touches) and like I said previously, Dexter Williams (who fell in draft because of character concerns) I think is a more talented runner than Jamaal Williams and Jamaal might struggle to even hold onto the #2 role. 

The injury concern is what worries me more than his role personally. It isn't pretty but Jamaal Williams has put up decent numbers when filling in although I think Dexter Williams is more talented (although he did have a bit of a mixed preseason) and he'd be my darkhorse option to be most valuable back if Jones went down. I'm typically targeting Jamaal Williams as a handcuff but I'm not paying a premium for him and rostering Dexter (or keeping him on my shortlist in more conventional 10-12 leagues where benches probably aren't big enough for him) who I think is flying a bit under the radar atm and I'm probably in the minority in viewing him as the backup to own (I concede Williams is surer/safer bet but given their relative prices and upside I like Dexter more). 

Edited by Jaw1