NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Start How Many WR's?

Mr.Joshua

My 12-teamer has done both 2 WR + Flex and 3 WRs + Flex. We've gone back to 2 for the time being (probably permanently) because once bye weeks and injuries start cropping up, people were having to throw out WR4 dart throws every week. I should note this is a standard scoring league, so the pool of fantasy relevant WRs is probably a lot smaller compared to PPR.

My 16 Team starts 3WRs, along with a WR/RB/TE FLEX...

...extremely difficult, but if you draft correctly it can be managed.

Never understood smaller leagues starting only two WRs

1 hour ago, Mr.Joshua said:

Whats the argument for starting 3 wr's, 2 rb's and a flex??

We are currently at 2 wr's and there is a vote on the table to make it 3.

Thank you.

I would counter that with 2 RB, 2 WR and 2 W/R/T for even greater flexibility, especially in PPR.

1 hour ago, Mr.Joshua said:

Whats the argument for starting 3 wr's, 2 rb's and a flex??

We are currently at 2 wr's and there is a vote on the table to make it 3.

Thank you.

My league used to have 3 WRs and 2 RB but we switched a few years ago to 2 WR, 2RB, and 1 flex (WR, RB or TE). We like this format much better. 

10 team league ,we went from 2WR last year back to 3WR this year. We all hated the 2WR format , there was less scoring overall , WR lose value as opposed to RB , especially in standard non ppr scoring. And it was always a guessing game on who to start sometimes, yeah your WR1 is easy. But sometimes you have multiple decent WR2 that's you need to decide on who to start. Just my personal take

38 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Starting 3 WR and a flex in a 12 team league is a nightmare. There aren't enough relevant WRs in the league that 36 of them at a minimum should be starting every week. 

Come on man, this is just inaccurate. There are 32 NFL teams and you're telling me there aren't 36 playable receivers? Y'all need to play some deeper leagues.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Come on man, this is just inaccurate. There are 32 NFL teams and you're telling me there aren't 36 playable receivers? Y'all need to play some deeper leagues.

+1. So if 8 teams are on bye that means 24 teams, say at least 2 startable receivers (likely more) per team which is 48. That’s  4 startable WR per team in a 12-team.  

We have 3 WR and a flex in our 14-teamer.  That’s fine. Sorry you aren’t going to have a stud at every position. 

• Like 2

My 12-team 0.5 PPR league starts 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 Flex, but with small benches (to keep quality talent on the waiver wire).  The thing I like about this format is that the WR3 can be such an X-factor -- you're often forced to start Will Fuller types who can either give you a donut or 25 points.

I find that in 2WR-2RB-1FLEX leagues, there's always an upside WR putting up points on the bench. Arguably it takes more skill and/or risk-taking to capture these points by knowing when to start the player, but I think it's impossible to really predict ahead of time when a deep-threat is going to make a splash play. So, by forcing players to start a third WR, you're increasing the likelihood of capturing the upside. We find it makes the games more fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Right, because firing up Willie Snead in your flex really reflects the status of the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Right, because firing up Willie Snead in your flex really reflects the status of the NFL. 

Here's the 36 range and below for PPR last year:

image.png.bb08e37aec13d0690951225424f19109.png

I mean, if you don't want a challenge of actually having to find guys, 2WR leagues sound nice. Hell, let's make it 1WR!!! 

Edited by kball09
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pbjfb said:

It all depends on how deep or shallow you want the waiver wire to be. I prefer a shallow wire because that puts more emphasis on drafting better rather than picking up. I also prefer 2qb.

Love 2 QB leagues. My long time big money league starts 2-3-3-2-2-2. Really puts the emphasis on drafting better. It's a 12 teamer so you better know how the depth charts roll.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Here's the 36 range and below for PPR last year:

image.png.bb08e37aec13d0690951225424f19109.png

I mean, if you don't want a challenge of actually having to find guys, 2WR leagues sound nice. Hell, let's make it 1WR!!! 

Right dude youre such a big baller 🙄

Edited by P@ckersFan

the simplest explanation is that the greater # of starting spots your league has increases the level of difficulty.

which, in turn, means that if you think you're good at fantasy it equals Advantage: You.

I never understood 10 team leagues, leagues with less starting positions, and leagues with shallow rosters/benches.

in this day in age, if you like that, you might as well just play DFS. 

I agree that adding starting spots increases the challenge, and can allow owners to build winning teams with variable strategies.

14 team dynasty league, we start 1/1/3/1 with 2 flex - only 1 additional max RB or TE (it’s also an IDP league that starts 11 D players, a K and a P).  The guys love the league because of the different ways that a successful offense can be assembled, plus it takes a bit of research to keep up with the depth.  

But that’s us.  If your league prefers 2 RBs and 2 WRs, then that’s the way to run it.  All that matters is that it is fun for the people in your league.  But adding a 3rd WR will increase the value of WRs in the league.