NBC Sports Edge Forums

injured stars returning late 2019-2020 season?

Kd’s surgery was last June 12 and its 9-12 months to recover. March is the 9th month so i guess they’ll handle him with gloves since he just signed a max. 

For wall idk, wizards already applied the disabled player exception to fill out their roster. So most likely out for season i think? 

Doubt we see KD or Wall this season, especially Wall. Wizards have nothing to play for. I don't even really see a scenario where KD comes back. Even if they make the playoffs, why rush him? Let him take that full year off to rest and recover. Klay will be back at some point this season for sure. I would be lying if I said I knew when. Depending on where you get him, he could be a good bargain later on in the year. I might be wrong, but I thought I heard someone say he was targeting a January return, which wouldn't be bad at all. 

• Like 2

As far as drafting goes I'm passing on injured guys.

Only one I might consider is Victor Oladipo, but he's not even falling that far compared to where I think his floor is. BBM projects him returning late-December/early January, and he will be protected and won't be back to normal right away. He finished around 53 last season but his ADP right now is 56 and I'm having trouble justifying that pick value given the amount of games he will likely play, the amount he'll sit out, and his uncertain return date. 

I'm passing on all injured players pretty much, I'd rather pick them up off waivers than draft them. 

• Like 4

I only play Dynasty. I have Oladipo in 2 leagues and since both teams are contenders without him, I can wait. If 100% by the PlayOffs then I'll be happy.

Not as high on Durant with his age (30) and injury type. May try and trade him since it is Dynasty and some owners may think he will come back in 2020-2021 at 100%. I don't think Durant will ever be close to 100%. I may just try and get what I can. But not give him away. Just see what his value is in our league.

Also have Wall in a Dynasty league. I'll just do what I can this year without him. Already tried to trade him and got no good offers. Not even close. Just 2nd round picks and waiver type guy offers. 

I don't have any shares in Klay or Nurcic.........I did draft Okeke in 2 drafts in the last round. Can't go wrong there. Just put him on IL and pick up someone later.

• 5 months later...

With the ASB coming up, how is everyone ranking injury stashes? There seems to be a fair number of them.

Curry is probably the best, followed by  Nurk, but are probably rostered in most competitive leagues.  

Otto Porter/Dunn/Markkanen/WCJ all decent possibilities but have the worst playoff schedule.  

Norm Powell might come back in time for playoffs but with the Raps healthy his touches seem limited. 

Jonathan Isaac was still on crutches last I heard. 

Luke Kennard has been decent but Reggie, Rose, and Svi all crowd the backcourt. Maybe Reggie gets bought out?   

Justise Winslow might have a decent role but his back has been super problematic. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

With the ASB coming up, how is everyone ranking injury stashes? There seems to be a fair number of them.

Curry is probably the best, followed by  Nurk, but are probably rostered in most competitive leagues.  

Otto Porter/Dunn/Markkanen/WCJ all decent possibilities but have the worst playoff schedule.  

Norm Powell might come back in time for playoffs but with the Raps healthy his touches seem limited. 

Jonathan Isaac was still on crutches last I heard. 

Luke Kennard has been decent but Reggie, Rose, and Svi all crowd the backcourt. Maybe Reggie gets bought out?   

Justise Winslow might have a decent role but his back has been super problematic. 

Thoughts?

Thoughts going through one by one:

Curry - no doubt the best IL stash. Has targeted first week of March for a return, just in time for Week 21 playoffs, and no matter what people say about the tanking Warriors having freakin' Steph Curry to come back and save your season has to feel good. I think the both he and the Warriors want him to get back on the court, to get his conditioning up before the Olympics and to see his fit with Wiggins.

Nurk - Used to think he was a surefire league winner, but with Whiteside not getting traded and the calf strain, the noncommitment to a specific return date (it'll be after ASB), and Olshey stating that he won't be rushed back, I'm starting to feel a bit iffy. I'm personally stashing him and I'm confident he will come back late Feb-early March, but the lack of timetable to return this late into the season scares me honestly. BBM has him projected to return at a late 3/10, which is the start of Week 21 fantasy playoffs - not a big fan of having a limited Nurk in limited minutes fresh off injury at that point. It would mean stashing him all this while would be pointless. Hope for an early return, is all I can say.

Markk and WCJ - Will be back late Feb-early March, they're returning to their normal roles once they're back from injury. If they were dropped then yeah pick them up.

OPJ - Not a big fan, personally. When he was 'healthy' earlier this season he was already limited, now with this added injury I find it hard that the Bulls would want to roll him out all the way. Expect rest and limited minutes.

Norm - Big fan of him, as much as Davis has been rolling I think Norm goes back to being his ballin' self and Davis' value takes a hit. This is dependent on Lowry and FVV staying healthy, of course.

Isaac - Won't return in time for fantasy playoffs. Have seen some Roto players stash him though, so if you play Roto, he's worth a stash I guess.

Kennard - Guy can ball, but he's only good for scoring and 3s. If any one of the players above are available (save for Isaac) I'd go for them over Kennard first.

Winslow - No one's rushing to pick up the 270-ranked player in Fantasy. When he's back he's splitting minutes with Slomo and Melton - yikes. No timetable as well. I don't see the upside.

Guys you left out:

MBIII - Recent reports show he may be shut down and he himself isn't confident of playing again this season. That says it all, I guess.

Klay/Wall - same as Isaac.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Thanks 3
19 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

Isaac - Won't return in time for fantasy playoffs. Have seen some Roto players stash him though, so if you play Roto, he's worth a stash I guess.

Ok, so I'm completely biased as I have him stashed, but I think there's room to at least be hopeful for a return sometime in early to mid March. He was injured Jan. 1st and was said to be re-evaluated in 8-10 weeks. So as early as March 1st-ish and as late as March 15th-ish. Let's play the optimistic card and say he's evaluated March 1st and gets good news. That gives him two weeks to get in playable shape for hopefully a fantasy playoff run. He may not be 100%, and the Magic would surely be pretty cautious with one of their cornerstones, but if they continue to be in the playoff picture and he's been cleared to play, I think they'd put him out there. It's a lot that needs to go right, to be sure, but it's still a chance. I guess my point is we can't say for sure that he won't be back by fantasy playoffs.

I'm definitely gonna be rooting for Magic wins from here on out and continue to stash hoping for good news early March, even if it means we don't necessarily get him at 100%. And if you have a 1st round bye, it makes even more sense to stash imo.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I know the last we've heard/seen was that he was still on crutches a few(?) days ago. But, we're still 3 weeks from the potential early re-evaluation. I'm nowhere near being a medical guy, but maybe 3 weeks is enough to shed the crutches. Idk, just trying to be glass half full here. 

Edited by theantishere
9 minutes ago, theantishere said:

Ok, so I'm completely biased as I have him stashed, but I think there's room to at least be hopeful for a return sometime in early to mid March. He was injured Jan. 1st and was said to be re-evaluated in 8-10 weeks. So as early as March 1st-ish and as late as March 15th-ish. Let's play the optimistic card and say he's evaluated March 1st and gets good news. That gives him two weeks to get in playable shape for hopefully a fantasy playoff run. He may not be 100%, and the Magic would surely be pretty cautious with one of their cornerstones, but if they continue to be in the playoff picture and he's been cleared to play, I think they'd put him out there. It's a lot that needs to go right, to be sure, but it's still a chance. I guess my point is we can't say for sure that he won't be back by fantasy playoffs.

I'm definitely gonna be rooting for Magic wins from here on out and continue to stash hoping for good news early March, even if it means we don't necessarily get him at 100%. And if you have a 1st round bye, it makes even more sense to stash imo.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I know the last we've heard/seen was that he was still on crutches a few(?) days ago. But, we're still 3 weeks from the potential early re-evaluation. I'm nowhere near being a medical guy, but maybe 3 weeks is enough to shed the crutches. Idk, just trying to be glass half full here. 

All fair points. He was looking like a fine stash at first with the original timetable, but the Magic did apply a DPE for him which means the team was looking to ride out the season without him. Obviously the NBA denied their request, but I don't think the NBA's denial will change how they may or may not use him this season.

Edited by Espoiral

Jabari Parker. 

Lots of injuries in Sacramento. 

Should get a good look after being traded there. 

Will be back very soon. 

Can provide solid numbers when given minutes. 

He's the third short-term free wallet I've added, Rui and Millsap seem to be two free wallets with money inside. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

All fair points. He was looking like a fine stash at first with the original timetable, but the Magic did apply a DPE for him which means the team was looking to ride out the season without him. Obviously the NBA denied their request, but I don't think the NBA's denial will change how they may or may not use him this season.

Totally see your argument, but someone in the Isaac thread made a fair counterpoint to it, which I'm inclined to side with (again, being biased lol). I'm just gonna copy/paste it....

"Applying for the DPE is just another form of salary cap workaround. The denial means they view his injury not significant enough and he has a good chance of returning. They're amidst of a playoff spot and just trying to get added advantage."

So yeah, the NBA deemed Isaac not guaranteed to be out for the season, but on the team side, you can view it as them just doing their due diligence. They know they're in reach of the playoffs and since they're without one of their guys for who knows how long, might as well try to game the system and get another healthy body to help that playoff push, regardless of Isaac's timetable. 

2 minutes ago, Sosa said:

Jabari Parker. 

Lots of injuries in Sacramento. 

Should get a good look after being traded there. 

Will be back very soon. 

Can provide solid numbers when given minutes. 

He's the third short-term free wallet I've added, Rui and Millsap seem to be two free wallets with money inside. 

Yeah I was thinking about him and Cam Reddish too as guys who could outplay starters. The thing about Jabari is that Bjelica is such a vital part of their success. Whose numbers does Jabari eat? 

2 minutes ago, buckets88 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Bagley?

I am not enthusiastic after this update:  

https://mobile.twitter.com/aaronbruski/status/1226385534727020544?s=21  

He is still in a walking boot. Like Isaac, if they are not walking unprotected/unencumbered, I have to think they are a ways away. 

Like we are basically five weeks away from fantasy playoffs. Minutes restrictions can be a serious cap on value, so you want guys at full strength by at least round 2. 

Bagley has a great playoff sched but who knows of he'll be rested on B2Bs. 

• Like 1

I'm actually really intrigued by Parker - Bagley may just be out for the season.

But Barnes and Bjelica have a hold on the SF/PF spots and although he has put up numbers (in JC's absence this year) he's just not a good real-life basketball player to unseat those two.

Maybe the backup four? That would leave him about 20 minutes or so at best. Don't think that's enough for fantasy relevancy.

17 minutes ago, theantishere said:

Totally see your argument, but someone in the Isaac thread made a fair counterpoint to it, which I'm inclined to side with (again, being biased lol). I'm just gonna copy/paste it....

"Applying for the DPE is just another form of salary cap workaround. The denial means they view his injury not significant enough and he has a good chance of returning. They're amidst of a playoff spot and just trying to get added advantage."

So yeah, the NBA deemed Isaac not guaranteed to be out for the season, but on the team side, you can view it as them just doing their due diligence. They know they're in reach of the playoffs and since they're without one of their guys for who knows how long, might as well try to game the system and get another healthy body to help that playoff push, regardless of Isaac's timetable. 

Very fair points. We'll see, I guess. Just feel that if he has any shot at returning in time for the fantasy playoffs he would at least be regaining his mobility by now. If a positive update does somehow appear nearing fantasy playoffs you'd bet I'll be all over that in an instant.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

Norm - Big fan of him, as much as Davis has been rolling I think Norm goes back to being his ballin' self and Davis' value takes a hit. This is dependent on Lowry and FVV staying healthy, of course.

Maybe I haven't followed Norm closely enough, but didn't most of his value come when FVV was injured? Like is he now a 23-25mpg guy in a healthy Toronto backcourt? 

4 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Maybe I haven't followed Norm closely enough, but didn't most of his value come when FVV was injured? Like is he now a 23-25mpg guy in a healthy Toronto backcourt? 

Even when FVV came back he was still putting up top-40 value in 25 mins. He's ranked 35 in the last month. His value comes from having a ton of usage in those minutes, racking up steals, and closing the game at SF over OG.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

Even when FVV came back he was still putting up top-40 value in 25 mins. He's ranked 35 in the last month. His value comes from having a ton of usage in those minutes, racking up steals, and closing the game at SF over OG.

I went back and took a closer look... he is ranked 74th from January 18th on, which is when FVV came back. If you check his games from late November to mid December, his best performances were when Kyle Lowry and then FVV was out.  

Top 75 is still great value for waiver wire add, but maybe top 35/40 is expecting too much with a healthy Toronto roster.

• Like 1