Mohamed Sanu 2019 Outlook

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ya mean being up 28-3 in the third qtr was not a legit shot? 🤔

I got the bat signal that my expertise was needed in this thread.  

For a team that absolutely covets their draft picks, I think the price of a 2nd round pick tells you everything you need to know. They didn't pay this price for him to plan on NOT getting him very inv

I suspect he'll be more valuable to the Patriots IRL than in fantasy.

He's always been tricky to peg in terms of when the big games are coming.  Now he'll be working as the third option of one of the most inscrutable offenses in the game.  GL

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He's always been tricky to peg in terms of when the big games are coming.  Now he'll be working as the third option of one of the most inscrutable offenses in the game.  GL

I think so.. Mo can throw a pass, play wherever they need  him as a "veteran," and good locker room guy.

20 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Assuming he has supplanted Gordon. 

White, Crackhead, Gordon, Edelman, Dorsett, Sanu

Crowded corps for noodle arm Brady.

I'm really surprised the Pats would give up a 2nd. Their offense is so dink and dunk, it seems like they can always find guys who can effectively run it. Even that UDFA Meyers who's playing a lot lately seems to be doing fine.

1 minute ago, MoonBlaster said:

Dorsett would have to take over the outside spot for Gordon, Sanu will move to the slot for Edelman

Yeah, it's going to be Edelman and Dorsett on the outside in three-wide sets, with Sanu in the slot. They'll probably replace Dorsett if Gordon comes back. I don't know why though because Gordon really isn't any better than Dorsett. People who added Sanu early may reap the rewards. Wes Welker production, maybe? Sanu doesn't have jets, but he is tough to tackle. He's also a great possession receiver.

I would think Edelman stays in the slot & Sanu has an outside role. Easier to learn offense from a set position rather than running various motions & option routes from the slot, where Edelman has made his living

It’s possible they want multiple slot receivers for certain situations, like what Arizona has. Brady isn’t much of a deep passer these days and having a 2nd capable slot receiver is good for the Patriots. 

32 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Yeah, it's going to be Edelman and Dorsett on the outside in three-wide sets, with Sanu in the slot. They'll probably replace Dorsett if Gordon comes back. I don't know why though because Gordon really isn't any better than Dorsett. People who added Sanu early may reap the rewards. Wes Welker production, maybe? Sanu doesn't have jets, but he is tough to tackle. He's also a great possession receiver.

Huh?? Sanu is gonna replace Edelman in the slot?? Edelman is arguably the best slot WR in the league and Brady's security blanket when protection breaks down.  Thats not gonna change.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yea idk why they would want anyone but edelman in the slot. I agree with Saint, throw him on the outside, he is a possession wr like fitz mentioned, being outside with dorsett seems right

3 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Huh?? Sanu is gonna replace Edelman in the slot?? Edelman is arguably the best slot WR in the league and Brady's security blanket when protection breaks down.  Thats not gonna change.

Contrary to popular belief Edelman hovers around 45% of his snaps in the slot, part of this is because he's in on 1 and 2 WR sets on the outside but the other factor is that his game translates well all over the field so they move him around in order to create other mismatches when he's not shadowed... He plays very much like a slot receiver but he isn't always lined up that way 

In comparison Sanu spends around 70% percent of his time in the slot so he is more of a slot specialized receiver than Edelman.. The likely outcome is that they rotate the two out of the slot with Sanu probably only being in on 3 WR sets, I think for 2 WR sets it's going to be a combination of Gordon/Dorsett/Edleman.

1 minute ago, MoonBlaster said:

Contrary to popular belief Edelman hovers around 45% of his snaps in the slot, part of this is because he's in on 1 and 2 WR sets on the outside but the other factor is that his game translates well all over the field so they move him around in order to create other mismatches when he's not shadowed... He plays very much like a slot receiver but he isn't always lined up that way 

In comparison Sanu spends around 70% percent of his time in the slot so he is more of a slot specialized receiver than Edelman.. The likely outcome is that they rotate the two out of the slot with Sanu probably only being in on 3 WR sets, I think for 2 WR sets it's going to be a combination of Gordon/Dorsett/Edleman.

What the percentage in three or four wide sets?? I mean I don't watch every Pats game.  But most of the time I do it seems Edelman works from the slot in those situations.  Also you really can't use his usage from ATL as a example of what he will do with the Pats.  Of course he works from the slot with Jones and Ridley who are both outside WR's.

6 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Sanu will be a much needed big bodied red zone target. 

This.  Saying he will work out of the slot is a bit deceiving as it is also how they utilized Gronk.  A big bodied receiver that can line up inside.  I could see hoodie/McDaniels peppering him with targets just to prove he was worth the draft pick.

Ever since Rob Gronkowski's retirement in March, and even before that, the club has been looking for an inside receiver to fill his void. They had it with Antonio Brown, but we all know how that turned out.

From Mike Reiss:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4818478/mohamed-sanu-trade-gives-patriots-the-flexibility-they-covet

I fail to see the pessimism in this thread. 

Brady is still a good QB but his deep ball is lacking. Sanu is definitely an upgrade for Gordon as his ability to throw the deep ball will really allow Gordon to shine. 

• Haha 1
Just now, bhawks489 said:

He hasn’t topped 1000 yards in cincy or Atlanta. Suddenly he’s going to be a stud? WR3 with some WR2 games. Decent flex play

to be fair to him, he was behind AJ Green(Dalton as QB, i guess thats a factor too) and Julio Jones/Calvin Ridley.. cant look into those numbers too much. I think he is a redzone target for sure.