NBC Sports Edge Forums

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 2

Message added by tonycpsu

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 2

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups for week 2 of the 2019 NFL season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggetions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

27 minutes ago, meverett85 said:

Just doesn't seem like there is a clear-cut #1 guy this year. You could make the case for probably 7-8 different players based on your need/risk tolerance.

• Chris Thompson
  • Malcom Brown
  • Marquise Brown
  • Terry McLaurin
  • John Brown
  • Jamison Crowder
  • Tight End Du Jour
  • Giovani Bernard

Just not really seeing a clear guy to burn a #1 waiver pick. Prudent thing may be to just sit back and wait.

Yeah sure and let everyone get snatched up. More is lost with indecision than wrong decision. I mean most these pickups won't really amount to anything, but if you hit your golden. Here is a great article posted on ESPN about FAAB . This is a snippet and I will link it also.

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/veteranmoves0910/spend-your-faab-boss-week-2

Recent history supports this: In the past three seasons, seven of the 20 most impactful undrafted, in-season pickups were those most popular on the Week 2 pickups list, and another five were players commonly added in Week 3 but who had already planted seeds in their season openers (shrewd fantasy managers might've gotten ahead of the game by adding them in Week 2).

That 20-player sample included only players drafted in fewer than 20% of ESPN leagues, using their final PPR fantasy point totals as well as the percentage of ESPN playoff rosters on which they resided. It's a group that included -- most recently as 2018 -- Tyler Boyd (221.1 PPR fantasy points for the year, 5.6 in Week 1), Phillip Lindsay (222.8 and 18.2), Eric Ebron (222.2 and 15.1) and Austin Ekeler (168.8 and 23.6). In 2017, those who were most aggressive on the FAAB front might've netted Alvin Kamara (320.4 PPR fantasy points for the year, 7.8 in Week 1), and in 2016, those same managers might've landed Tyrell Williams (216.9 and 9.1).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As usual, it was a crazy Week 1 in the NFL. Lots of overreactions and suprises, but two key takeaway from a fantasy perspective was the monster debut from rookie WRs (and Hockenson) and that QB play i

Obligatory: if you don't value a guy high enough for your waiver, it never hurts to sit back and wait for FA to scoop up reactionary drops the first couple weeks.

41 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Yeah sure and let everyone get snatched up. More is lost with indecision than wrong decision. I mean most these pickups won't really amount to anything, but if you hit your golden. Here is a great article posted on ESPN about FAAB . This is a snippet and I will link it also.

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/veteranmoves0910/spend-your-faab-boss-week-2

Recent history supports this: In the past three seasons, seven of the 20 most impactful undrafted, in-season pickups were those most popular on the Week 2 pickups list, and another five were players commonly added in Week 3 but who had already planted seeds in their season openers (shrewd fantasy managers might've gotten ahead of the game by adding them in Week 2).

That 20-player sample included only players drafted in fewer than 20% of ESPN leagues, using their final PPR fantasy point totals as well as the percentage of ESPN playoff rosters on which they resided. It's a group that included -- most recently as 2018 -- Tyler Boyd (221.1 PPR fantasy points for the year, 5.6 in Week 1), Phillip Lindsay (222.8 and 18.2), Eric Ebron (222.2 and 15.1) and Austin Ekeler (168.8 and 23.6). In 2017, those who were most aggressive on the FAAB front might've netted Alvin Kamara (320.4 PPR fantasy points for the year, 7.8 in Week 1), and in 2016, those same managers might've landed Tyrell Williams (216.9 and 9.1).

I looked up ESPN highest scorers in PPR standard leagues for 2018 after week 1. Here are some names that may not have been drafted (ranked by highest points scored in week 1):

• Kenny Stills
  • Chris Thompson
  • Ted Ginn Jr.
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • Will Dissly
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Quincy Enunwa
  • Phillip Lindsay
  • Geronimo Allison
  • Jalen Richard
  • Eric Ebron
  • Willie Snead

Tyler Boyd wasn't near the top of the scoring leaders week 1.....in week 2 he was one of the top Wide Receivers and I'm assuming he was the clear waiver pick that week (or Golladay). Point is, let others blow their load. Sure somebody may hit the 10% winner, but waiting a week may ensure you get a very quality player. Just a thought.

• Like 2

I found the fantasypros recommendation for 2018 week 2 waiver priorities:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/09/waiver-wire-rankings-week-2-2018-fantasy-football/

1) Chris Godwin

2) John Brown

3) T.J. Yeldon

4) Geronimo Allison

5) Phillip Lindsay

6) Quincy Enunwa

7) John Ross

8)Jared Cook

9) Austin Ekeler

10) Ben Watson

If you had the #1 waiver pick, that list is not helping you out.

Week 3 rankings:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/09/waiver-wire-rankings-week-3-fantasy-football/

Week 4 rankings:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/09/waiver-wire-rankings-week-4-fantasy-football/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, meverett85 said:

I looked up ESPN highest scorers in PPR standard leagues for 2018 after week 1. Here are some names that may not have been drafted (ranked by highest points scored in week 1):

• Kenny Stills
  • Chris Thompson
  • Ted Ginn Jr.
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • Will Dissly
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Quincy Enunwa
  • Phillip Lindsay
  • Geronimo Allison
  • Jalen Richard
  • Eric Ebron
  • Willie Snead

Tyler Boyd wasn't near the top of the scoring leaders week 1.....in week 2 he was one of the top Wide Receivers and I'm assuming he was the clear waiver pick that week (or Golladay). Point is, let others blow their load. Sure somebody may hit the 10% winner, but waiting a week may ensure you get a very quality player. Just a thought.

Your not proving anything posting all that, just confusing others. And cluttering up this thread. You missed the point entirely. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, bomont said:

Well duh, if they are consistently usable that's probably because quite often they are an elite talent. Kind of silly to put that disqualifier on. And many rookie WRs went on to have if not great very solid, roster worthy years.

You’re not understanding what I’m saying.  I meant someone we knew going into the season was an elite talent at WR.  Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, and Mike Evans come to mind.

13 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

You’re not understanding what I’m saying.  I meant someone we knew going into the season was an elite talent at WR.  Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, and Mike Evans come to mind.

OK, thanks for clarification. Well that applies to guys like M Brown.  And it is not so rare for rookie WRs to be worthy for ex:

http://davidgonos.com/best-fantasy-football-rookie-wide-receivers-ever-since-1990/

Edited by bomont

I'm kinda surprised that in several leagues what amounts owners were spending on their FAAB claims.  Routinely saw like 34-40% on Hock, 20-25% on Laughlin, 15-20% on guys like Ross, Hollywood Brown, and Amendola.  One dude spent 90% of his FAAB on Hollywood, Laughlin, and Mostert.  Most of these guys weren't ones that lost their top 3-4 WR this week so seeing folks drop so much coin on guys like Laughlin who's on a putrid offense sorta surprised me.  Yeah I know that bad offenses still generate fantasy points and all that but still.  I think owners overlearned the lesson of not spending on Lindsay last year. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jumper said:

I'm kinda surprised that in several leagues what amounts owners were spending on their FAAB claims.  Routinely saw like 34-40% on Hock, 20-25% on Laughlin, 15-20% on guys like Ross, Hollywood Brown, and Amendola.  One dude spent 90% of his FAAB on Hollywood, Laughlin, and Mostert.  Most of these guys weren't ones that lost their top 3-4 WR this week so seeing folks drop so much coin on guys like Laughlin who's on a putrid offense sorta surprised me.  Yeah I know that bad offenses still generate fantasy points and all that but still.  I think owners overlearned the lesson of not spending on Lindsay last year. 

Who is Laughlin? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 9/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, larfboy said:

scoop up jalen richard right now before he potentially joins the week 2 waiver pick up list. drop your flop for him. worth a free dart throw..if not, then drop richard for whoever you were going to gun for in the ww.

Well Jalen didn't quite hit...so now you can drop him lol

On 9/11/2019 at 4:24 AM, Spina said:

After waivers clear: Deon Cain -- Colts new WR2

Was coming here to post him as well. They love this kid & with Funchess out he could be very interesting. 

Also Jaguars WR Chris Conley. Team target leader in Week 1.  Starting to wonder if WR1 status is ever gonna happen for Westbrook

• Like 2
On 9/11/2019 at 12:03 PM, larfboy said:

Well Jalen didn't quite hit...so now you can drop him lol

Would maybe keep Richard for one more week if you can because he may be used a lot against the Chiefs as the Raiders will likely be playing catchup in the second half.

A name I haven't seen mentioned and that I want to throw out for people, is Tyler Eifert.  Only 9% owned in Yahoo Leagues as of today.
Once upon a time, considered elite at his position, has quietly returned from injury this year with zero hype, he was a 16th round pick on draft day in 14+ size leagues.
Last week he snuck in 5 targets without anyone noticing.  With AJ Green out, Mixon down, and defenses surely adjusting their game plans to what John Ross did last week, Eifert could slowly increase his role in the offense, and return to form.  He only played 38 snaps last week (49%) to CJ Uzomah's 54 (70%) so his play time can definitely increase, but I believe CIN specifically stated that when he's in the game, it'll be mostly to run routes, not block, to try and keep him healthy.

I know some people lost Hunter this week and a few of the top 15 TEs really fell flat last week, so it might be worth keeping an eye on for people who are digging deep, or just have the space to wait and see.  At the very least, watch list him and see what happens.

2 hours ago, frog34 said:

It doesn't take much FF expertise to understand that you can't rely on any JAX WR. They are all decent in their own right, but this offense has proven to spread the ball around. First it was Allen Robinson, then Allen Hurns, then Marquise Lee, followed by Keelan Cole, then Dede Westbrook, they signed Chris Conley to a lucrative contract, and DJ Chark seems to be the flavor of the week. And remember this offense is lead by a late round rookie QB and flow through Fournette. I like Minshew and wish him the best, cool dude. I think he will surprise us. But he won't make any of their WRs relevant, even if one of them blows up each week. Good luck to guess it right!

This seems incredibly short sighted.
Allen Robinson went 80/1400/14. (WR6)
Followed it up with 73/883/6. (WR28) (Idc what you paid for him on draft day)
Next Season, M.Lee missed 3 games, but was on pace for 69/864/4 (WR 36 in PPG)
Last season, DeDe goes 66/717/5 (WR33)

Point being, JAC, despite the absolute atrocious QB play over the last 4 years (about to be 5) has consistently produced a WR3.

You can say that the offense spreads the ball around, but the reality is that you can't predict from QB to QB how they will handle their reads, progressions, and targets.  Especially an unknown like Minshew.

Once Minshew came in the game the targets breakdown as such. (Ignoring randoms)
Chark 2 targets, 2 catches, 69 and 35 yards.
Conley 4 targets, 4 catches, 8, 20, 11, and 21(TD) yards.
DeDe 6 targets, 5 catches, 4, -2, 12, 15(TD) and 1.

Chark is the deep threat, if I had to guess, DeDe is working the slot? And Conley is on the outside.  Conley is the guy I want to take a shot on.  His chemistry with Minchew appeared to be the best, but honestly it doesn't mean much until we see what he does after a full week to game plan and prepare as the starter.  Regardless, if I'm only picking up 1 JAX WR off the wire, it's Conley.  Luckily while most chased Chark, Conley snuck through waivers in multiple of my leagues. (I prioritized other WRs over all JAX players)

For what it's worth, Snap counts for the full game:

DeDe 48 (83%)
Conley 44 (76%)
Chark 41 (71%)
Cole 12 (21%)
Lee 12 (21%)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

A name I haven't seen mentioned and that I want to throw out for people, is Tyler Eifert.  Only 9% owned in Yahoo Leagues as of today.
Once upon a time, considered elite at his position, has quietly returned from injury this year with zero hype, he was a 16th round pick on draft day in 14+ size leagues.
Last week he snuck in 5 targets without anyone noticing.  With AJ Green out, Mixon down, and defenses surely adjusting their game plans to what John Ross did last week, Eifert could slowly increase his role in the offense, and return to form.  He only played 38 snaps last week (49%) to CJ Uzomah's 54 (70%) so his play time can definitely increase, but I believe CIN specifically stated that when he's in the game, it'll be mostly to run routes, not block, to try and keep him healthy.

I know some people lost Hunter this week and a few of the top 15 TEs really fell flat last week, so it might be worth keeping an eye on for people who are digging deep, or just have the space to wait and see.  At the very least, watch list him and see what happens.

In theory it appears like a good plan to target Eifert. But the Rams never utilized a single TE enough for them to produce consistently in fantasy. And the Bengals are running a whole lot of 3 WR sets now. I'm not sure the Bengals will have a productive TE in fantasy even if Eifert were to remain healthy all season.

3 hours ago, ImthenewGoff said:

Will Grier for obvious reasons.

Obvious reasons? Such as?

Unless Cam is getting traded, going to the IR or Grier is converting to another skill position there’s no way.

Cam’s guaranteed nearly $17M this season and over $19M next season. 

Trading him is not only unrealistic but it will be virtually impossible. I can’t see him quitting (too much pride) or shutting it down (too tough maybe for his own good) unless it’s last resort (certainly not anytime in the next few weeks). 

• Like 2

Gesicki is being overlooked.   The guy is the number 1 TE on the team ( as putrid as it is) but was the second most targeted receiver (  6 Targets).  Everyone else is on a time share, Eifert, Doyle, Uzomah.     He may break out.   

If Cody Latimer is out

Bennie Fowler is a sneaky play

They literally have no one else at wide receiver smh

It's basically Saquon Engram then whoever at wr 

Edited by CABLE87
  • phatrat locked and unpinned this topic