NBC Sports Edge Forums

Average weekly totals per stat

Anyone ever do the math to total up a decent baseline estimate of what an average weekly per stat total would look like, and care to share? Or even per game, because you can multiply that # by avg games per week (around 3.5, this year probably 3.2 since less 4 game weeks). My estimates would be:

730 pts

fg% 47

ft %78

60 3s 

130 ast 

220 rbs 

35 stls

25 blks 

80 to 

That's a totally blind guess but if anyone knows what the average would be, or the average to be top 3 in each cat. I generally try to be top 3 in 7 stats and slightly better than the worst of teams in the other 2 cats.

Assuming standard everything, 9 cat 13 man roster. Feel like it would make drafting easier if we knew what total weekly goals should be set at. 

Just some idea after the first look on your numbers.

FG and FT% must be higher  like 48,5% and 80% to be a stable cat. 

Pts is overkill. 600-650 range is more realistic.

BLK and STL needs some improving but its close to the okay.

AST 3s and REBS are right. 

TO is punt.

• Like 2

Several years ago I came across an article online about "magic numbers", they called it. Basically it was a stat line you try to average on your roster that would have likely clinch you a playoff spot.. it was something like (off the top of my head):

17 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 steals, 1 block, 1 three, 1.5 turnovers, .480 / .820

In today's NBA, I'd say increase the threes and points, maybe steals too. The strategy was to try and get 6 or 7 of these numbers.

It's hard.

• Like 2

I think people here overestimate FG and FT%. No one has achieved 48/82 as long as I have played (but as I said it is only three seasons) in standard league. When you are going to 48/82 it usually means that you have to give up some counting stats. 47/80 is absolutely enough to be competitive. You don't win category by these numbers but it is average. And person who started thread talk about league average.What concerns counting stats then 35 steals is ridiculously low. I never had so few steals per week. Also I remember that weeks when multiple (4-6) teams scored 750+ points, 250+ rebounds or 150+ assists were quite often. Tongs said 17/7/4, but usually we have average 42-48 games per week. You can count what it means, but 7 rebs means total 300+ which is quite rare.

Edited by apatas
18 hours ago, johnval1362 said:

Anyone ever do the math to total up a decent baseline estimate of what an average weekly per stat total would look like, and care to share? Or even per game, because you can multiply that # by avg games per week (around 3.5, this year probably 3.2 since less 4 game weeks). My estimates would be:

730 pts

fg% 47

ft %78

60 3s 

130 ast 

220 rbs 

35 stls

25 blks 

80 to 

That's a totally blind guess but if anyone knows what the average would be, or the average to be top 3 in each cat. I generally try to be top 3 in 7 stats and slightly better than the worst of teams in the other 2 cats.

Assuming standard everything, 9 cat 13 man roster. Feel like it would make drafting easier if we knew what total weekly goals should be set at. 

All you really have to do is multiple the median in BBM's standard deviation model by 40 (or so) to represent games played.  Anything over the following should be enough to win the category in the majority of weeks:

680 pts

fg% 48

ft %78

60 3s 

140 ast 

240 rbs 

40 stls

25 blks 

75 to 

That would not be enough to be top 3 in that cat as you aim, maybe top 5 in a 12 team league.  It's also based on 12 team numbers.  The bigger the league size the worse individual teams will be.

It is also important to remember that fg%, ft% and TOs are not negatively impacted by number of games played.  This is why I never punt any of those 3 categories and  my team is always competitive in them.  All I need is to be competitive in  another 2-3 categories and I have chance to win in  every week.  Punt assists  build works  very well in this scenario.

• Like 3