NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Slye 2019 Outlook

dfstout

2 hours ago, nromn said:

I will likely check if there are Sun Night/Mon Night kickers available on my wire and check if adding kicker points will even matter. If they do, I will drop someone on my bench to add a K.

Word to the wise in yahoo leagues if you have someone on your bench that gets hurt or sucks and someone dropped him in your league, pick him up after the Sunday night games (or earlier if there are no cuffs you want to hold that would have value of the starter went down). 

I did this and dropped Dissily

Yeah, missing the unusual free kick and another long one was a bummer, but he still had a really decent day.  Makes it a harder decision now.  Had he fallen flat, he'd be an easy drop.  Thinking the "waiting to see how Sunday games" go and then trying to snag a Sunday night or Monday night kicker could be a viable strategy.  Only problem with that is the games are Eagles (Elliott 47%) - Cowboys (Maher 56%) and Pats (Nugent 37%) - Jets (Ficken 0%). So you might not have every option available, but a fallback would surely be Ficken.  Your opponent also could be savvy and block you by dropping bench players to tie up kickers, but it would be unusual to drop two bench players to tie up two kickers.  Still a risky strategy.  Not to mention giving up some points which might go towards your overall standings and team tiebreakers at the end of the season.

17 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

You people dropping are crazy. What other kicker would you rather have this season. 

It isn't about that. I mean, I have Tucker. No use dropping him for Slye. He's a good kicker and all, but nonetheless he's a kicker. I'd be fine with Slye, The Leg, Tucker, Lutz, Butker, Gould...

4 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

For those who say keeping a kicker during the buy is crazy, I'm curious which fringe bench players you are keeping over a rental kicker.

Any elite run handcuff is worth more than Slye ( he misses too many kicks )

Slye has been great, but they have faced bottom 10 defenses in points allowed 4 out of 6.

On the other side of the break he's got SF, TEN and GB out of the chute, and also has NO and SEA.

TEN might be a gimme with their QB situation a mess, but the other games will be uphill battles.

I'd be down for the ATL and WAS games of course but the sledding is looking rougher.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Slye has been great, but they have faced bottom 10 defenses in points allowed 4 out of 6.

On the other side of the break he's got SF, TEN and GB out of the chute, and also has NO and SEA.

TEN might be a gimme with their QB situation a mess, but the other games will be uphill battles.

I'd be down for the ATL and WAS games of course but the sledding is looking rougher.

I wouldn’t look at matchups whatsoever for a kicker, just way too random. It could just as easily mean more stalled drives and opportunities to kick a FG. Panthers have a great defense which is also a plus for Slye, and CMC will always move the rock. 

Edited by RunCMC

1 minute ago, RunCMC said:

I wouldn’t look at matchups whatsoever for a kicker, just way too random. It could just as easily mean more stalled drives and opportunities to kick a FG. Panthers have a great defense which is also a plus for Slye, and CMC will always move the rock. 

It's just a volume thing.  Teams that have more points allowed generally give up more field goal opportunities.  They're closely correlated.

Not to say a guy can't have 5 FGs against a top ten defense in points allowed, but it's less likely.  Better defenses tend to play with a lead more often, so the opposing coach will go for 7 more often...that sort of thing.  Variation will of course happen, but kicking more field goals against bad defenses isn't entirely random.

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Any elite run handcuff is worth more than Slye ( he misses too many kicks )

Considering there’s maybe 20 elite players in all the NFL I doubt there’s an elite handcuff. 

Holding Slye through the bye.

This dude has been a difference maker at the Kicker position. He has 14 point upside every week. The misses are a tad concerning, but all but one of them was from 50+ yards out. If he starts missing 40 yarders consistently it will be a problem, until then he's on my squad even through the bye week.