NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jaren Jackson Jr 2019-2020 Outlook

Mikhov

4 hours ago, DoctorLove said:

Haven't heard any news yet, but I did read that his teammates said they didn't think it wasn't serious, for what's that worth.

Starting to regret trading for him.  I think he'll pick it up though.

• Thanks 1

Well, I drafted him early with high hopes, but he's been pretty rancid so far. However, gotta be patient; he's at the nadir of his value, so trading or cutting him now would be short-sighted. Was gonna give him a week on the bench anyway to try to get it together, so the injury makes that an easier choice.

Maybe watch some videos about how not to foul so much, JJJ?  😁

People need to relax, its been 2 weeks into a new season for a kid with new teammates, under a new system.

Though he played bad over the last 2 games, his per 36 is still 19ppg, 7rpg, 1.4 3PM, 0.9 spg and 2.3 bpg.

His fg should normalize and his ft is in line with what hes been doing.

Nobody here was talking about him dropping 20+ ppg either, the 1.4-1-1.5 and efficiency are why people should’ve realistically targeted him.

If you think that he’s going to just ram into people for offensive fouls or try guarding AD every game over the next 70, then sure go ahead and trade him for Aaron Baynes or drop him for Cody Zeller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikhov said:

People need to relax, its been 2 weeks into a new season for a kid with new teammates, under a new system.

Though he played bad over the last 2 games, his per 36 is still 19ppg, 7rpg, 1.4 3PM, 0.9 spg and 2.3 bpg.

Nobody here was talking about him dropping 20+ ppg either, the 1.4-1-1.5 and efficiency are why people should’ve realistically targeted him.

If you think that he’s going to just ram into people for offensive fouls or try guarding AD every game over the next 70, then sure go ahead and trade him for Aaron Baynes or drop him for Cody Zeller.

Probable is he is not coming close to 36 mins this year. We had hoped that that’s where he would make the biggest improvement but his foul rate as far as it seems is more or less the same .

no one is questioning his talent though. But his sense of hustle and his fouls needs to both improve.

1 hour ago, nir said:

Probable is he is not coming close to 36 mins this year. We had hoped that that’s where he would make the biggest improvement but his foul rate as far as it seems is more or less the same .

no one is questioning his talent though. But his sense of hustle and his fouls needs to both improve.

I agree that he does look out of sorts on the court, like he’s overthinking / second guessing himself a lot and a bit lethargic.

Can’t read his mind but IMO just a confidence / comfort thing. Once he gets used to it and their schemes become more fleshed out, he should be more consistent

Edited by Mikhov
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikhov said:

I love how we all talk in "per 36" terms but reality is he can never stay on the floor for 36 mins so it could be useless using that stat. Potential is there but if he averages 25 mins per game then what's the point?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

I love how we all talk in "per 36" terms but reality is he can never stay on the floor for 36 mins so it could be useless using that stat. Potential is there but if he averages 25 mins per game then what's the point?

It is useless using that stat.  Per36 is a horrible measure of guessing production from a player.

I drafted him in a dynasty at a premium because bigs with his skillset don't come around often. Although I paid premiums in draft and via trade I knew he would not be a staple with my starters from the rip...would have been awesome but not likely. I knew he would be a project on a young team and he is still a kid. He skillset is unteachable but his however his flaws so to speak are not and in time he will be very productful.

I'm fine with using as is at taking what he gives right now which is still impressive but I firmly believe one day when he matures and everything clicks watch out....you will not be able to get him period!

Patience is key and if you got him looking for immediate stardom unfortunately you picked the wrong guy. I'm more than pleased and I'm all in for the long haul and guys in my leagues know this man and no discounts because I believe long term!

12 hours ago, atlantadynasty said:

Okay then, scrap the per 36 line and the point still stands - things should normalize.

He has the rest of the season to figure out how to stay on the floor and get comfy in the new system with new teammates. Yes, he isn’t the 1st or 2nd option - which only makes it more likely that Morant, Brooks or JV will garner more attention and he should further correct his fg and 3pt%. 

He has shown that he can block shots and get to the line where he will hit his free throws.

He still isn’t a rebounder, which i understand because he’s either floating around the perimeter when he doesn’t have the ball on O or contesting shots on D. He was averaging 7 rpg prior to the past 2 games and that is where I expect him to settle anyway.

Would rather have him predictably struggle out of the gate (hence the inconsistency) than tear it up and falter later.

Just my 2c

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jaren Jackson Jr 2019-2020 Outlook