NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Otto Porter Jr 2019-2020 Outlook

Mikhov

1 hour ago, Lob City99 said:

An MRI revealed additional bone bruising in Otto Porter's left foot, that was not initially seen in his original MRI, and he will miss at least another two weeks of action.

Advice: Porter will miss at least the next eight games and will likely be off his feet for the next few weeks, meaning that his conditioning will go by the wayside, so it wouldn't be surprising to see his absence extend beyond this two-week window. Ideally, we'd recommend trying to hang on, but that could be difficult if your team is struggling and you're in a league without an open IR-spot. Chandler Hutchison, Thaddeus Young, Kris Dunn and Coby White will pick up the slack in his absence.
https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/otto-porter-jr-update

That's some soft pedalling by the writeup guy imo.  Better way to say it is he's going to return sometime around X-Mas best case.  Unless you have an IR spot / stacked team not sure you can hold a guy that was A) looking closer to 100 than 50 in value and b) is probably going to miss the next 5 weeks at least.

Edited by laurilegend

4 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

That's some soft pedalling by the writeup guy imo.  Better way to say it is he's going to return sometime around X-Mas best case.  Unless you have an IR spot / stacked team not sure you can hold a guy that was A) looking closer to 100 than 50 in value and b) is probably going to miss the next 5 weeks at least.

What a frustrating guy to own. I have dipo in my only IR slot. Fortunately, I am still 3-1 so I will be holding onto Otto. Not like there is anything out on the WW anyway in a 14 team league. 

15 minutes ago, blaze4g said:

What a frustrating guy to own. I have dipo in my only IR slot. Fortunately, I am still 3-1 so I will be holding onto Otto. Not like there is anything out on the WW anyway in a 14 team league. 

Yea that's pretty much your worst nightmare as a fantasy owner.  Guy under-performs his ADP, fairly badly, then gets hurt about two weeks into the season and all you have is a small sample size where he wasn't very good.  Those decisions to hold/drop will make and break quite a few owners and now you're pissed because this looked like a two week injury and now it's looking more like 6 weeks at best.

1 hour ago, blaze4g said:

I'm in a similar situation, Lowry in my IR spot in a 12 team H2H. Lowry is due for an update on Saturday, if he's coming back shorty thereafter I think I'd hold Otto. If Lowry is out for much longer I think I'll cut bait on Otto. 

Warning signs were there in preseason but we all dismissed them. OPJ is easily one of the most overrated players for 2019-2020. I don't doubt his greatness in Washington when Washington was decent, but he had what, a great 20-25 game run for CHI last year when games didn't matter and then got injured. Everyone just assumed he would magically return to greatness in October but everyone was dead wrong. Everyone except for the medical staff, who knew to load manage him and bring him back slowly. Once again, warning signs were there but fantasy players chose to ignore them, instead focusing on all the upside. OPJ should have been drafted in the 8-12th round range instead he was taken in 4th-5th.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, mtx said:

Warning signs were there in preseason but we all dismissed them. OPJ is easily one of the most overrated players for 2019-2020. I don't doubt his greatness in Washington when Washington was decent, but he had what, a great 20-25 game run for CHI last year when games didn't matter and then got injured. Everyone just assumed he would magically return to greatness in October but everyone was dead wrong. Everyone except for the medical staff, who knew to load manage him and bring him back slowly. Once again, warning signs were there but fantasy players chose to ignore them, instead focusing on all the upside. OPJ should have been drafted in the 8-12th round range instead he was taken in 4th-5th.

Yea probably but hindsight is 20/20.  Luckily I saw enough him in preseason as a Bulls fan to have serious reservations about his health.  Even before he had the bone bruise he was moving like a 40 year old out there.  Actually that's an insult to Vince Carter.

Lavert and Porter Jr are both sitting on the waiver in our 12 team league.  Wonder if either guy gets picked up before they play a game.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

Yea probably but hindsight is 20/20.  Luckily I saw enough him in preseason as a Bulls fan to have serious reservations about his health.  Even before he had the bone bruise he was moving like a 40 year old out there.  Actually that's an insult to Vince Carter.

Lavert and Porter Jr are both sitting on the waiver in our 12 team league.  Wonder if either guy gets picked up before they play a game.

Currently claiming waiver for this guy and dropping huerter.

14 hours ago, brickcitymamba said:

Anyone actually optimistic of him redeeming his season?

Its all up to his health but if he comes back pretty healthy he'll return top 50 value. People were making snap judgements after 5 bad games.. the next 4 he pretty much did what he did.. and the game following that he put up 13 points 4 boards 2 assists 2 steals 1 block in 11 minutes before getting injured. He was going to have a monster game and  wouldve pushed himself into  top 80 value based off that sample size alone. You dont let such talent rot on the wire especially in competitive leagues. Its a longgg season.

• Like 1

I don’t like the way Otto looked on the bulls and clearly their system is not favoring a lot of their players 

boylen is an idiot , markannen and Otto are playing horribly and it’s really just LaVine, I didn’t like the look of him all this year especially with load management on a rebuilding team 

I was able to trade Otto for house jr and levert so I wish all you guys the best of luck 💯💯💯

Unless you’re in a deep league it’s a season to forget and I can’t see him being valuable. Even when he comes back they are going to monitor and baby him. Hell they were doing it when he was healthy. I can’t even imagine what will take place when he comes back.