NBC Sports Edge Forums

The Comeback! - Favre to Return

Br0kenB

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Brett Favre has told coach Mike McCarthy that he has thought about playing this year.

This follows up a Mike Lombardi blog post along the same lines. The comeback talk is reportedly only in preliminary stages, but Favre's family is encouraging him to play. Cornerback Al Harris says Favre told him he still "has the itch" to play. This situation could turn thorny. The Packers own Favre's rights, but we'd guess that the front office would simply rather move forward with Aaron Rodgers. The coaching staff may lean more towards Favre. Jul. 2 - 4:18 pm et

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comes as no surprise to me, and it shouldn't really shock anyone. There's been talks about it ever since he retired and he pretty much admitted he wanted to play again on Letterman a month or two ago.

Two things of note:

1] After being tortured of weeks of Favre montages like it was the second coming of The Messiah on ESPN for his pending retirement - I'll have to go through it again. Scruffy grill, crocodile tears and all.

2] AP Reporting: Aaron Rogers just bought a toaster for his hot tub treatments.

Holy Crap! This is really happening. This is going to be building momentum all the way to training camp.

Prediction: Favre shows up for camp, Ted Thompson steps in and tells the Legend "thanks, but no thanks, where do you want me to trade you?"

He must hate Aaron Rodgers.

Do the respectable thing Favre and stay retired. Long-term, you're killing the Packers and you've had your proper farewell with the fans. Hang it up and go spend time with your family who you've stated many times before "they're the most important thing to you these days"

Holy Crap! This is really happening. This is going to be building momentum all the way to training camp.

Prediction: Favre shows up for camp, Ted Thompson steps in and tells the Legend "thanks, but no thanks, where do you want me to trade you?"

This is going to happen? How do you figure? People say Elvis is still alive and in seclusion. I for one believe he over dosed and died.

Anytime an article leads with "Sources say" and is on ESPN, I write off 90% of its reliability

http://www.madison.com/wsj/blogs/Packers/294432

an NFL source said Wednesday afternoon that Favre -- or Cook on his behalf -- actually contacted the Packers "within the past few weeks" about returning, and when the Packers made it clear that they have moved on, Favre asked for his release. The Packers refused.

Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb said coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson are both on vacation and were unavailable for comment.

WOW! That's all I have to say. This thing won't die unless Favre comes out and says "I am not playing football again". Or, he could just simply file his retirement papers.

Packers front office is ready to move on, especially with them retiring his number so fast. What are they going to do IF they do let him come back and play, is he going to have to pick a different number or will they unretire it for him this year and then re-retire it later on? Also, how do you think Rodgers and Braum feel right now? I bet Rodgers is like "Sh%$ Brett just give me a chance"! and Braum is like "Oh man, how awesome this would be to get pointers from a legend"

I thought the Shaq/Kobe rap would be the bizarro sports highlight of my summer, but Favre's '08 waffling could top it. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see Favre in a Bears uniform? I think there would equal disdain from both cheeseheads and Bears fans alike. Priceless comedy for all purple fans...

Why should anyone wonder if he's waffling. He was a star studded super hero for years.

It must be tough coming down from that high

I still don't think it's gonna happen, but its a gut feel, nothing I can apply any factual significance to

Is this surprising anyone?

Not in the slightest.

If he wants to get back in the game, I'm sure there's hundreds of schools and youth leagues that would love to have him work with their kids.

It's suprising that people are gullible enough to believe this.

These reports come out every month, and every month Favre himself shoots it down. He's not coming back.

I'm not so sure it is gullibility that is causing people to believe this. Favre has not filed his retirement papers and actions speak louder than words. If Brett truly wanted to stop everybody from speculating about his possible return to the NFL he would file his retirement papers and end all of the reports about his possible return.

They say where there is smoke there is fire. I think Favre publicly denying his desire to continue playing in the NFL is designed to allow him to save face because the Packers didn't begin genuflecting when he told them he might like to return.

I like Favre, but file your damn papers and end this circus.

Packers front office is ready to move on, especially with them retiring his number so fast. What are they going to do IF they do let him come back and play, is he going to have to pick a different number or will they unretire it for him this year and then re-retire it later on? Also, how do you think Rodgers and Braum feel right now? I bet Rodgers is like "Sh%$ Brett just give me a chance"! and Braum is like "Oh man, how awesome this would be to get pointers from a legend"

I think Brian Brohm is like "Damn. Why can't people spell my last name correctly?" B)

Just another story of a retired athlete whose ego can't handle not having his name in the spotlight. Show some loyalty to your former team and either announce NOW your coming back or file your retirement papers. The Pack doesn't need the distraction 30 days from the start of training camp.

personally, i am appalled by Favre. sure he is a living legend and all, but it has been years since he has been the Favre of my youth. he has had his time, both good times and some bad ones. it is definitely time for someone else. dude needs to step aside and stop holding the Green Bay organization hostage.

personally, i am appalled by Favre. sure he is a living legend and all, but it has been years since he has been the Favre of my youth. he has had his time, both good times and some bad ones. it is definitely time for someone else. dude needs to step aside and stop holding the Green Bay organization hostage.

I find it funny when someone says he's holding the Packers "hostage". Dude didnt even make a single comment on this other than "it's all rumor".

Just another weak-minded person who believes everything ESPN tells them to believe.

Just another story of a retired athlete whose ego can't handle not having his name in the spotlight. Show some loyalty to your former team and either announce NOW your coming back or file your retirement papers. The Pack doesn't need the distraction 30 days from the start of training camp.

I'm a huge Packer fan and I want Favre to stay retired. But I really don't think that is why he would come back. I really just think he already knows he's gonna miss playing. But like I said I really hope he doesn't as i'm pretty excited about seeing what Rogers can do and watching my 1st ever Packer game(that I can remember) without Favre at the helm.

B) I don't get it. From a fantasy standpoint, why wouldn't we want him back? If this whole circus never happened, after Brady and Manning, where do you suppose Favre would go? I'd move him to the front of the class. And who says he has to play in GB?

They can trade his rights, correct?

Put him in purple (I know, never happen in own division) and THEN AP goes #1 overall.

Believe it or not, Farve wants to play in "08 and I don't have a single issue with it. The guy can still can play. I'm telling you right now that anyone who believes for one single second that Thompson is just gonna tell Farve thanks but no thanks, is crazy!!! If this was any other player anywhere else in the league I'd buy it but this situation is a little different. We are talking about a team that was one vry close game away from a Super Bowl last season. This team is built to win now and I don't believe that anyone but Brett Farve can lead them there. If Brett wants to play football for the Packers in '08 then I feel he has earned that right to do so regardless of what the GM may thinks. This is a battle Thompson can't win and if they decide to go w/ Rodgers and he fails Thompson will never live to tell about it.

GO BRONCOS!

The Packers are not built to win now. They're one of the youngest teams in the league and have the potential to win now.

The Packers are not built to win now. They're one of the youngest teams in the league and have the potential to win now.

That didnt stop them last year... if Favre returns they are built to win now, if Rodgers is qb they have the potential to win now but are looking more of building towards the future.

I wish Favre would just end this charade and state unequivocally weather he is retiring or weather he is not. This circus is annoying me, God only knows how Packer fans and Aaron Rodgers are feeling, c'mon Brett put your cards on the table and end this crap.

Archived