NBC Sports Edge Forums

The Comeback! - Favre to Return

Br0kenB

The Packers are not built to win now. They're one of the youngest teams in the league and have the potential to win now.

Of course they are built to win now... What does age have to do with it? Just because they are young doesn't mean they aren't built to win now. They where the 2nd best team in the NFC last season They have drafted well and signed key free agents over the course of time putting them in a pos. to win now! With Farve behind center there is no reason this team can't make a serious run at a SB.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B) I don't get it. From a fantasy standpoint, why wouldn't we want him back? If this whole circus never happened, after Brady and Manning, where do you suppose Favre would go? I'd move him to the front of the class. And who says he has to play in GB?

They can trade his rights, correct?

Put him in purple (I know, never happen in own division) and THEN AP goes #1 overall.

Oh that would be great. Have him play for the Vikings whose only weakness is QB. That defense was great last year although the pack isnt that dumb to let that happen. Imagine that first game of the year...Retire his number at half time and have him bury them in the second half. If they do release him since they dont want him back im sure they will make him sign something with the condition you can play again but not for anyone in the divison....

Oh that would be great. Have him play for the Vikings whose only weakness is QB. That defense was great last year although the pack isnt that dumb to let that happen. Imagine that first game of the year...Retire his number at half time and have him bury them in the second half. If they do release him since they dont want him back im sure they will make him sign something with the condition you can play again but not for anyone in the divison....

He would "complete" the Vikings. Since Childress is running the offense (who fell from the Reid, Gruden, Mariucci...etc tree), the transition would be simple enough. Talk about AP being the clear cut #1, Favre would do wonders for Berrian and Rice. Not only would this team be a FF dream, from an NFL standpoint, they'd be the frontrunner in the NFC, IMO.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think the Vikes and pack would deal anytime soon.......but we can dream.

The Vikes have other weaknesses, WR and TE are two.

Two things of note:

1] After being tortured of weeks of Favre montages like it was the second coming of The Messiah on ESPN for his pending retirement - I'll have to go through it again. Scruffy grill, crocodile tears and all.

2] AP Reporting: Aaron Rogers just bought a toaster for his hot tub treatments.

If I was Aaron Rogers I would say screw u I am retiring...

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Brett Favre has asked for his release.

Mort reports that a conference call took place Tuesday, involving Favre, Favre's agent, coach Mike McCarthy, and Ted Thompson. The Packers weren't "openly receptive" to Favre's return, so Favre asked for the letter to be sent, and it was Friday morning. The Packers must now decide whether to take Favre back, let him go, or try to negotiate a trade. Favre doesn't want to be dealt and referenced his history with the team in hoping for a "mutual parting." Favre is using what leverage he has to publicly pressure GM Ted Thompson. We still have our doubts that the Packers will let him go.

Yawn.

Anybody else getting tired of this "Should I retire, shouldn't I?" crap?

As somebody who grew up liking Favre, he sure is getting under my skin with all of his flip-flopping....

On a good note, I bet John Madden just bought a Costco sized vat of lotion after hearing this news.

We are talking about a team that was one vry close game away from a Super Bowl last season. This team is built to win now and I don't believe that anyone but Brett Farve can lead them there.

yeah I remember last playoffs

great INT by Favre in clutch situation

B)

The Packers released a statement on Brett Favre, stating that they "wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion."

"The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the statement continues. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team. As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team." This statement indicates that Green Bay will not just release Favre and give up all leverage. GM Ted Thompson could look to trade him first.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The main thing that annoys me is this Jay Glazer report from Rotoworld:

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel both report that the Packers would "never" release Brett Favre, as he requested Friday. They would rather trade him or make him Aaron Rodgers' backup.

Favre won't back up anyone, but the Packers won't just give away Favre for free. Glazer writes that Favre was set to un-retire in late March, with both GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy's approval. The Packers even chartered a jet for Favre to announce his return, but Favre changed his mind yet again two days before the scheduled announcement. The Packers then smartly decided to move on. This helps explain the team's motivations and why they will continue to play hardball.

To those of you that say Favre is not holding the Packers hostage, what do you say now? He decides in mid-March he's coming back, so the Packers charter a jet to properly announce the return of King Brett and then he changes his mind two days before the event?!!!! You can't expect the Packers to be up in the air about their starting QB heading into the draft.

It sounds like Favre cried wolf once too often and p!ssed the Packers off enough that they don't want to play his game any longer. Can you blame them?

I have lost a lot of respect for Brett Favre.

Favre will be starting for the Packers opening day for the following reasons.

1 - they can't release them. That would be beyond stupid and Ted Thompson, regardless if Favre blows at his next stop, would be lambasted for not getting something for a QB that will be in high demand if released.

2 - they can't trade him. What kind of value can even place on him? Plus, if they do trade him and he does play well (or better than Rodgers) and his team has a better record (than the Packers), then Ted Thompson would look like a fool

3 - he will not be a backup. As if Favre coming back isn't bad enough, there's no way the Packers will subject Rodgers to be looking over his shoulder at Favre after every play and enduring a constant barrage of fans and press asking for Favre

4 - Ted Thompson will come to the realization that his job is to make the Packers the best team they can be, and that's obviously with Brett as the QB.

2 - they can't trade him. What kind of value can even place on him? Plus, if they do trade him and he does play well (or better than Rodgers) and his team has a better record (than the Packers), then Ted Thompson would look like a fool

Yes they can. That's like saying the 49ers can't trade Joe Montana.

This ain't baseball.

Does anyone know if Favre has a no trade clause in his contract? If so, Favre controls where he goes.

Anyone else plan on watching FoxNews tonight for the Favre interview?

Archived