NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marc Gasol 2019-2020 Outlook

jay_00

11 hours ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

What we thinking? Is he out of his slump?

He shared the court with Ibaka for a good chunk of time, but I'm waiting to see if it becomes a normal thing before giving up a roster spot for him.  He has not been worth holding in 12T when getting 22-24 minutes. 

2 hours ago, 80version said:

He shared the court with Ibaka for a good chunk of time, but I'm waiting to see if it becomes a normal thing before giving up a roster spot for him.  He has not been worth holding in 12T when getting 22-24 minutes. 

Probably because they were against the Bucks... who are a pretty long team. 

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

More minutes and better popcorn stats. At this point Gasol is better in real life than fantasy. His days of producing early round value are long gone

I think he can average 8-10 points, decent %, 6-8 reb and maybe 1 block a game 

not early round value of course, but maybe back to 8th-9th round 

9 minutes ago, d4fl45h said:

You like gasol or Dwight?

Gasol provides less volume n worse FG% than Dwight nowadays, but maybe give u a 3pt n better FT%, depends on what u need in ur team really 

I think Gasol has more playing time too so likely more consistent 

I predict Marc Gasol will average 9pts, 7reb, 85 ft%, 1 3ptm, 1 block, maybe 2 assists , 43% FG% (bad for a big) 

12 minutes ago, Riedle9 said:

Trade to where? Who need him? 

He's completely washed out

He didn’t look washed up 1 month before the season started when they won gold. 

If you watch the FIBA games vs the NBA regular season, it’s quite easy to see that he just doesn’t really care.

A former DPOY and all star running away from getting dunked on, barely contesting shots and passing the ball the second he gets it 90% of the time? 

You’re right though, his contract vs production is untradeable; So he’s likely pacing himself for the 82 game grind.

5 hours ago, Mikhov said:

He didn’t look washed up 1 month before the season started when they won gold. 

If you watch the FIBA games vs the NBA regular season, it’s quite easy to see that he just doesn’t really care.

A former DPOY and all star running away from getting dunked on, barely contesting shots and passing the ball the second he gets it 90% of the time? 

You’re right though, his contract vs production is untradeable; So he’s likely pacing himself for the 82 game grind.

You don't watch many Raptors games do you? The raptors have the best interior defense in the league - guess who is key to that again? I mean did you watch the playoffs and finals? Marc Gasol, the guy that graciously released Nikola Vucevic, and Joel Embiid from his back pocket over the summer so as to give them a chance at rebuilding their careers. He IS the best defensive centre in the league, he showed that in the playoffs and finals (I mean he was hedging and controlling Steph Curry off picks - name another 7'0 centre that can do that). He showed that in the world championships. Sure his offensive game has aged and he isn't a threat in the post any more, that sucks for fantasy owners - but Gasol is an absolutely defensive beast for the raptors - even after the hectic summer he has just had doing the NBA and world champs double. Question his fantasy game all you like, but if you are questioning him as a player then you just don't understand basketball.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jake the snake said:

You don't watch many Raptors games do you? The raptors have the best interior defense in the league - guess who is key to that again? I mean did you watch the playoffs and finals? Marc Gasol, the guy that graciously released Nikola Vucevic, and Joel Embiid from his back pocket over the summer so as to give them a chance at rebuilding their careers. He IS the best defensive centre in the league, he showed that in the playoffs and finals (I mean he was hedging and controlling Steph Curry off picks - name another 7'0 centre that can do that). He showed that in the world championships. Sure his offensive game has aged and he isn't a threat in the post any more, that sucks for fantasy owners - but Gasol is an absolutely defensive beast for the raptors - even after the hectic summer he has just had doing the NBA and world champs double. Question his fantasy game all you like, but if you are questioning him as a player then you just don't understand basketball.

I was talking about his play so far THIS season. I was praising him for his performance in FIBA and acknowledged his prowess and contributions earlier in the thread, when people were saying he was washed up.

I don’t think there is any question that he isn’t playing up to his own standards or with much effort so far THIS season. 

I don’t believe that he’s washed up, but I believe he could do more than swing the ball around the three point line and rebound.

4 hours ago, Mikhov said:

I was talking about his play so far THIS season. I was praising him for his performance in FIBA and acknowledged his prowess and contributions earlier in the thread, when people were saying he was washed up.

I don’t think there is any question that he isn’t playing up to his own standards or with much effort so far THIS season. 

I don’t believe that he’s washed up, but I believe he could do more than swing the ball around the three point line and rebound.

5 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

The raptors have the best interior defense in the league - guess who is key to that again? 

Remember when they played the Magic a couple weeks back? Probably not because 'Merica don't watch Raptors despite being the champs. Vuce went 1/13 from the floor for 5pts...That's an all-star centre (who he destroyed in the playoffs too).

Lets go through the other games. McGee 5/11 - 10pts; Okafor 3/3 - 6pts; Holmes 4/8 - 8pts; Lopez 4/11 - 11pts; Drummond 10/17 - 21pts (still -22 +/-); Carter 6/14 - 12pts; Theis 0/7 - 1pt; Favors 3/6 - 6pts.

Those are pretty impressive defensive numbers - opponent starting centres have shot 32/90 - 35.6% from the field with Gasol averaging 27 mpg. He is absolutely one of the best defensive centres (if not still the best) in the league even at age 34 and coming of a summer basically without rest. Incredible player. IRL he is an absolute beast on the defensive end, which is a huge part of why the Raptors are good. In fantasy he sucks, because his offensive game has declined and he isn't asked to be a scorer. But the two things are very different...

Just because a guy doesn't fill up the box score doesn't mean he is a bad basketballer.

• Like 3

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marc Gasol 2019-2020 Outlook