NBC Sports Edge Forums

Markelle Fultz 2019-2020 Outlook

14 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

"he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA ."

Read again, it says SCORING homie not 3's, big difference

and you are absolutely right, i can say dwight howard will get better at 3's as well, but whats most likely to happen?

Oh ok, so I misunderstood because your sentence was written incorrectly. You mentioned his teammates around that entire sentence while talking about his 3s and scoring together. 😕

Stop beating around the bushes. What exactly are you trying to say with the Dwight analogy? I'm not sure if I ever said Fultz will or even expect him to improve 3pt shooting. But I hope he does.

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So close to a double-double! Not that it matters, though, as he's still 6 minutes short of being remotely rosterable.

But ppl were trynna tell me that he’s not rosterable unless he gets 35 minutes ... fuk outta here 

Inching close to top 100 value, and in the right lineup, he already has that kind of value.  He is a valuable source of assists and has shown consistent improvement over the course of the season.

Just now, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

Oh ok, so I misunderstood because of your sentence is written incorrectly. You mentioned his teammates around that entire sentence while talking about his 3s and scoring together. 😕

Stop with beating around the bushes. What exactly are you trying to say with the Dwight analogy? I'm not sure if I ever said Fultz will or even expect him to improve 3pt shooting. But I hope he does.

Yea thats my mistake not being more clear, honest mix up

"All the piggyback chatter about what to expect from him is nonsense to me. Nobody can tell the future and whether he improves any of his game is a subjective matter."

i was just responding to this with the dwight comment hah seemed like you were fairly hopeful he will improve his 3pt shooting and saying nobody can predict the future to backup that belief, if i read that wrong my bad just dont think he will ever be much a 3 pt shooter and im pretty confident in that guess 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea thats my mistake not being more clear, honest mix up

"All the piggyback chatter about what to expect from him is nonsense to me. Nobody can tell the future and whether he improves any of his game is a subjective matter."

i was just responding to this with the dwight comment hah seemed like you were fairly hopeful he will improve his 3pt shooting and saying nobody can predict the future to backup that belief, if i read that wrong my bad just dont think he will ever be much a 3 pt shooter and im pretty confident in that guess 🤷‍♂️

Right, we don't know the future so all our analysis are based on player's past and their opportunities ahead. Dwight, in terms of 3pt shooting, has never been good in the past and lacks future opportunity to develop a 3pt shot. (But I've seen several players suddenly become 3pt threats - Brook Lopez? Channing Frye?)

Fultz on the other hand has the opportunity to develop this part of his game. I don't know how much of this stat is relateable because there are some differences, but he was able to shoot 3s in college. That's why I hope his 3pt shooting improves. I don't think it's a farfetched statement, but my analysis is based on that.

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

"he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA ."

Read again, it says SCORING homie not minimal 3's made, big difference and no they are not one in the same either

and you are absolutely right, i can say dwight howard will get better at 3's as well, but whats most likely to happen?

Fultz upside value is in his assists - steals with solid %, if he can get his ppg up into 12-13 territory this Ww add becomes a full on contributor for our squads, but going back to my first post, i dont think it happens anytime soon (the playing time needed to reach these goals)

Assists and steals, yes. Maybe 10+ pig and decent rebounds/blocks/fg% for a guard too. But I don't trust his ft% to stay as high as it is. It wasn't that good even in college before his shoulder issues. Maybe it is better now, but I don't trust it.

27 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

has the highest +/- out of anyone on the team. Had 13 2 3 2 in 3 quarters.. you know what we're gonna play augustin the whole 4th while we bring frickin aminu back in before him lol

They finally got him on with under 3 to play. The team just plays so much better with him in there imo. His defense and handles are just amazing

MCW strained his hip and DJA just got a pretty bad looking hand injury (tho it might just be a really painful dislocation).

Think this should lock Fultz into 30+ minutes the next few games. Let's cross our fingers that the breakout officially begins tonight

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, stay_woke said:

MCW strained his hip and DJA just got a pretty bad looking hand injury (tho it might just be a really painful dislocation).

Think this should lock Fultz into 30+ minutes the next few games. Let's cross our fingers that the breakout officially begins tonight

I was going to drop him since he was time sharing, but this might be a good week to see how he is.. I wish they were playing more than 2 games though...

2 minutes ago, HarmStrong said:

Yeah two game week is rough. Was going to drop and stream but hopefully we can get an update on DJA before the end of the day. 

6/6 and playing aggressive... sucks that both MCW and DJA are out, but this is the window for fultz to showcase himself. 

I don't see why people think he can break out. I haven't seen any evidence of an improved 3p shot this season. He still can't lift his arm over his head for it. Did you all just see the airball? Opposing guards give him all kinds of room and it hurts the team to have Fultz play 30 min.

His ceiling is a last year's Rondo. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I don't see why people think he can break out. I haven't seen any evidence of an improved 3p shot this season. He still can't lift his arm over his head for it. Did you all just see the airball? Opposing guards give him all kinds of room and it hurts the team to have Fultz play 30 min.

He air balled a 3 lol

21 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

He air balled a 3 lol

Yup. So much nonsense hype to start the season. I kept looking at the actual footage, hoping to see that stroke. I really want the best for the kid, but by now, it's evident he is damaged goods and will stay that way. Still an NBA-worthy player, but the whole team hurts because he can't be a threat from the 3p line.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I don't know what a "breakout" is defined as but I agree that his potential value is unlikely to include 3s. He has a good mid range pull up and he can drive-in and hit shots inside the paint. There is benefit for the team to develop a young player like him who has active hands and is athletic. I think he's going to be a very useful player sometime this season. He's already a good source of steals with a sprinkle of pts and assist. Those are the categories I'm holding onto him for but I'm not expecting 15ppg or 1 3pt a game like some others are until he improves his 3pt shooting. His ceiling is higher than Rondo last season though and pretty much a good bet he'll avg more points as the season progresses. His ceiling for steals are definitely over 1.2, too (rondo's spg last season).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Yup. So much nonsense hype to start the season. I kept looking at the actual footage, hoping to see that stroke. I really want the best for the kid, but by now, it's evident he is damaged goods and will stay that way. Still an NBA-worthy player, but the whole team hurts because he can't be a threat from the 3p line.

Everyone else in the starting lineup can shoot 3's so im having trouble understanding how him not being able to shoot 3's hurts the team when he is the best distributor and driver on the team........

We have seen PG's who cant shoot 3's be VERY useful for fantasy and real life so i dont understand the negativity either tbh, great vision, athleticism/pace, good scorers around him, good defense, hitting his FT's and shows a serviceable mid range game

all seems pretty favorable for fantasy goodness if they ever smarten up and give more of DJA minutes to him, the negativity on his 3pt output is massively overblown imo

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Its clear that Fultz will never be (or at least won't be in the near future) the player that everyone thought he could be, but this isn't fair either.  He provides a different kind of a threat/weakness from a traditional PG, but with the Magic's team construction, he actually fits quite well.  Fournier, Isaac, Gordon, and Vucevic are all solid to above average shooters.  The fact that teams sluff off Fultz just makes it easier at times for him to get deep into the paint.  He is doing a pretty good job of not forcing the action, taking what the defense gives him, and providing good length and athleticism on defense.  He is still a 'baby deer' out there at times on defensive, but his length is already giving opponents some problems, and he should continue to improve on his fundamentals.

Some interesting offensive stats (comparing DJA and Fultz):

Off Rating:
- Fultz: 107.7
- DJA 98.4

Def Rating:
- Fultz: 103.4
- DJA: 100.4

NET Rating:
- Fultz: 4.2
- DJA: -2.0

True Shooting:
- Fultz: 55.5
- DJA: 51.4

When you mention that his best hope is Rondo, you aren't really looking at his current game.  You are assuming he is going to shoot a poor percentage from both the field and the line.  That simply hasn't been the case this year.  Sample size is 13 games, but you have to remember that he has only played 46 games TOTAL (33 before this year), so everything is a small sample size.  The biggest key for Fultz is his ability to knock down free throws.  He is proving that he can get into the lane, and if the defense knows that they can't foul you, then all of the sudden they have to play him more honestly.  

I don't think anyone is expecting Fultz to be an all-star anytime soon, but it would also be a mistake to dismiss a 21 year old former phenom, who is now starting, showing some improvement in key areas, and producing some interesting stats.  The key is going to be his free throw.  If he can hit close to 80% he will end up a top 100 - top 150 player in my opinion.  He won't win the league for anyone, but he can be a solid flex/bench guard for a team.  In deep leagues he should definitely be a player of interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2