NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nerlens Noel 2019-2020 Outlook

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy has all the tools of the high upside big man that can potentially swing a league. a) He is an absolute stocks monster with good %'s (including FT).  b) He has a history of producing

...and Einstein isn’t qualified to hold a candle to your cognitive prowess!!!!

Ill probably be holding ROS regardless

I apologize to all of you in here ... I just picked up Noel off waivers and I'm basically cursed when adding new players.

Literally the only reservation I had when picking him up was that I love seeing how good he is (esp compared to Adams), and I feel awful that he's likely gonna suck now that I own him.  Again, I'm sorry y'all.  But his combo of %s, boards and stocks, as well as huge potential, just can't be beaten off the wire.

12 minutes ago, MWon said:

I apologize to all of you in here ... I just picked up Noel off waivers and I'm basically cursed when adding new players.

Literally the only reservation I had when picking him up was that I love seeing how good he is (esp compared to Adams), and I feel awful that he's likely gonna suck now that I own him.  Again, I'm sorry y'all.  But his combo of %s, boards and stocks, as well as huge potential, just can't be beaten off the wire.

Damn, man.  That's pretty selfish on your part.  World doesn't revolve around you ya know.  Why couldn't you have just picked up 'Melo instead where your cursed pick-up wouldn't have mattered in the slightest!

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Nica4two said:

Damn, man.  That's pretty selfish on your part.  World doesn't revolve around you ya know.  Why couldn't you have just picked up 'Melo instead where your cursed pick-up wouldn't have mattered in the slightest!

LOL, I did.  And he sucked today.  I dropped Redick to stream last week, getting BBJ and Simons (both of whom sucked and the latter of whom only got better when I dropped him) and I also dropped Schroeder for Hood yesterday.  The curse is real.

At ... at least Noel's not injured.  Right?  -______-'

• Haha 2

This guy has all the tools of the high upside big man that can potentially swing a league.

a) He is an absolute stocks monster with good %'s (including FT). 

b) He has a history of producing even with lesser minutes. Noel has been a guy that has been fringe 12T value even as he has been getting 20 minutes. He is now closer to 25 as him and Adams are more of a timeshare

c) The BIGGEST one. The person currently ahead of him is neither healthy nor in the long term plans of the franchise. Right now Adams is hurting his trade value performing while seemingly unhealthy. I would not be surprised to see the Thunder force a shutdown at some point in the season in order to get him right and healthy or avoid depressing his value further.

I would be hard pressed for most teams in a 12T league to not be able to find one guy at the end of their bench that is not worth dropping for Noel.

• Like 4

Billy Donovan said that Steven Adams is still recovering from the left knee contusion that sidelined him for three games earlier this month.

"Obviously we're dealing with Steven's knee still," Donovan said after Tuesday's game, explaining his decision to close with Nerlens Noel over Adams. "I don't want to say he's on a minutes restriction, but we're trying to be mindful and keep him in a range." Adams is averaging just 26.3 minutes per game this season, which is his lowest MPG average since 2015. It's also concerning that the knee is still bothering him, and if it continues to affect his play, he may need to consider surgical intervention. He also appears to be locked into a bit of a timeshare with Noel, so quite a few things are going wrong at the moment.

👀

• Thanks 1

It's nice having Noel play with the starters more, hopefully we can get some lob city up in OKC.  Schroeder just doesn't look to pass the same way CP3 does.  Saw Noel get some easy dunks against the Lakers, loving the percentages (along with stocks of course).

1 hour ago, kilslo said:

Billy Donovan said that Steven Adams is still recovering from the left knee contusion that sidelined him for three games earlier this month.

"Obviously we're dealing with Steven's knee still," Donovan said after Tuesday's game, explaining his decision to close with Nerlens Noel over Adams. "I don't want to say he's on a minutes restriction, but we're trying to be mindful and keep him in a range." Adams is averaging just 26.3 minutes per game this season, which is his lowest MPG average since 2015. It's also concerning that the knee is still bothering him, and if it continues to affect his play, he may need to consider surgical intervention. He also appears to be locked into a bit of a timeshare with Noel, so quite a few things are going wrong at the moment.

👀

Sounds very diplomatic.

Rather than saying something like "Noel had it going, so I decided to close with him", which would invite the journalists to ask questions about Adams play lately, he went straight to knee as the source of all the problems, maybe saving Adams from some annoying journalists. *Applauds* Or maybe I'm reading too much into that lol.

But now that this is out in the open, maybe they give him some good ole load management if its lingering. 

Noel's stock rising.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SkalChriston said:

Sounds very diplomatic.

Rather than saying something like "Noel had it going, so I decided to close with him", which would invite the journalists to ask questions about Adams play lately, he went straight to knee as the source of all the problems, maybe saving Adams from some annoying journalists. *Applauds* Or maybe I'm reading too much into that lol.

But now that this is out in the open, maybe they give him some good ole load management if its lingering. 

Noel's stock rising.

Load management in terms of minutes, already happening. Those turn into rest days.. quite a possibility soon. Injury doesn’t subside, knee scope could be next in line. Not wishing further injury on Adams, but just stating the possibilities as his knee has been a problem in the past and bothering him this season thus far

Could open up consistent minutes for Noel rendering him more than just as short term pickup

• Like 1

I don't know if Noel gets more PT any time soon.  Even with Adams hobbled he's still better than Noel on D.  He just knows where to be and how to defend space whereas Noel still looks like he hasn't learned from his Philly days and relies on his athleticism to make up for bad reads and poor positioning.  Sure Noel gets all the highlight plays and eye popping boxscores but Adams just knows how to play proper defense, flashy stats be damned, and the coach will take that every day of the week over a pogostick without a brain.  This is fantasy though so the boxscore is all that matters in the end and I think Noel is worth owning as long as Adams is playing hurt.  Adams is definitely suffering through something and I agree with the guy above I think he'll probably have to take some rest days to get better asap.  He's noticeably a step slow and gets exposed big time against quicker forwards.  A few seasons ago his footwork was quick enough that he could stay in front of most people.

11 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I don't know if Noel gets more PT any time soon.  Even with Adams hobbled he's still better than Noel on D.  He just knows where to be and how to defend space whereas Noel still looks like he hasn't learned from his Philly days and relies on his athleticism to make up for bad reads and poor positioning.  Sure Noel gets all the highlight plays and eye popping boxscores but Adams just knows how to play proper defense, flashy stats be damned, and the coach will take that every day of the week over a pogostick without a brain.  This is fantasy though so the boxscore is all that matters in the end and I think Noel is worth owning as long as Adams is playing hurt.  Adams is definitely suffering through something and I agree with the guy above I think he'll probably have to take some rest days to get better asap.  He's noticeably a step slow and gets exposed big time against quicker forwards.  A few seasons ago his footwork was quick enough that he could stay in front of most people.

No hes not  a hobbled adams has been getting burnt constantly. Noel has been better then adams this year defensively and offensively. Just watch the games..

20 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

No hes not  a hobbled adams has been getting burnt constantly. Noel has been better then adams this year defensively and offensively. Just watch the games..

I do watch games.  That's how I know Noel hasn't learned how to be a proper defensive anchor in 4 years.  Adams is hurt, playing with a messed up knee and is still better at doing a lot of the things you want your C to do.  The only thing Noel has going for him over Adams right now is athleticism and energy, which is why he's playing more. 

Don't even talk about offense with these two.  Donovan is trying to get Adams to become more of a high pick/elbow play maker which is dragging him away from the basket a lot more compared to last season.  Adams is still learning how to properly play more that way.  Noel is flat out incapable of playing like that which is why he's predominately a PnR and hustle guy.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I do watch games.  That's how I know Noel hasn't learned how to be a proper defensive anchor in 4 years.  Adams is hurt, playing with a messed up knee and is still better at doing a lot of the things you want your C to do.  The only thing Noel has going for him over Adams right now is athleticism and energy, which is why he's playing more. 

Don't even talk about offense with these two.  Donovan is trying to get Adams to become more of a high pick/elbow play maker which is dragging him away from the basket a lot more compared to last season.  Adams is still learning how to properly play more that way.  Noel is flat out incapable of playing like that which is why he's predominately a PnR and hustle guy.

I have a question for you... be truthful

Do you own either of them?

50 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

nerlens is the much better perimeter defender and has been an better anchor then adams this year purely because of his injury. Ive watched almost all the games lol. Adams been looking slow and injured this entire season. He hasnt been better defensively or offensively compared to noel because of injury and its obvious. 

Think OKC has a good thing with Schroder/Noel combo off the bench, but I can see a more even timeshare between Adams/Noel with Noel finishing games along with Schroder in the lineup. There was a play in the Lakers game where AD dunked the ball on Nerlens and kicked him in the face and Schroder tried to start s--- with AD, Schroder a real one.

4 hours ago, SolariNatividad said:

First time watching OKC, Adams looked healthy during the game.

Nerlens still a hold due to Adams trade rumors?

Even with him playing good and Noel out, Adams only played 27 mins. 

I would still hold Noel. He will still probably get close to 20 mins. Good steal/block combo with occasional REB/PTS outburst.

The moment Adams is traded (probably tough due to his contract or goes down (possible. his left knee seems to be a lingering issue), Noel is gonna feast.