NBC Sports Edge Forums

Your Personal Draft Strategy

On 10/7/2019 at 11:56 AM, mtx said:

If you draft Harden you are punting Turnovers, so now what do you do?? :D

Well...theoretically yes you are, but I did a H2H draft where instead of punting FG/TO I actually built a balanced team and ended up with surprisingly good TO (I was slightly above the median on BBM as a whole counting bench players).  I didn't intend for it, but I just ignored it but all my other picks were efficient so that's just how it worked out, and I might actually win TO most weeks with Harden lol.  (Harden, Butler, Capela is what I ended up with versus Harden, Booker, Russell/Mitchell is what I thought I might get).  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly.  OP's plan sounds fine.  But when someone throws a wrench into it (and they will) it's all going to be for naught.  In movies and comic books, the villains always know exactly what the heroes

I draft the best player available. Then I order a pizza.

For the TL;DR crowd, to sum up my balance strategy: Draft bigs and pgs early who don't hurt you (bigs who block and shoot a decent percentage, bigs who assist or shoot threes but also block/steal

9 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

Outside of turnovers, is there a preferable punt build around Giannis?

Ft?

FT/To is the obvious one.  He was top 3 for positive FG impact but bottom 15 for FT.  His % isn’t that bad but volume is huge.  If you could draft Giannis 5th and get Drummond 20th then that might be the best start in your league.  

Conversely, you could go for a softer punt, which would have the advantage of beating the hard punt teams in your league in FT. You could pick Booker at 20, Capela at 29.  Booker is top 15 in punt TO, Capela is top 15 in punt FT.  Capela’s FT isn’t that bad, something like 2/3 so if you pick up a 6/7 guy such as Booker then they even out to 80%.  I wouldn’t target hard punt guys like Adams/Whiteside though.  

If I draft Giannis I’m turning off the FT/To filters and maybe threes as well.  Since I often turn off threes when punting FT, it makes sense.  

I try to win every category. That's always been my draft philosophy.

Able to still be competitive even with injuries, and it doesn't put limitations on who to add off the wire. Meanwhile in certain punt builds you're screwed if you lose a guy who's critical to your build.

Dominate at least one percentage (ideally both) and be at least decent in Turnovers. If you're strong in those 3 cats, you are much less vulnerable to a bad schedule. That strategy saved me in the first-round last year. Due to injuries I ended up with 36 games, but I still won.

• Like 3

It's nice to read about all that approaches to punting and so on... My take would not be that popular, as I see. My favorite draft strategy is... the one than close to none of my competitors follows during the draft.
I mean - so many times in my fantasy basketball life I got prepared for drafts with punt ideas only to find out that I'm not the only one following such strategy. Which ends up with overpaying or reaching for players.

Of course, no one knows in advance which strategy will work. So the ideal scenario would be to get prepared for as many as possible... Another challenge is to be really focused on how my draft goes and react accordingly. That's even harder, especially with quick online drafts. And almost always requires some help from external tools.

If you start out with Gobert and Drummond in a 10 cat with Double doubles what would be an ideal strategy going forward? Should I go for  guards that are good at 3s and steals Like Middleton and Russell? Or should I just dominate the big man categories and grab LA and Capella 

20 minutes ago, jay2491 said:

If you start out with Gobert and Drummond in a 10 cat with Double doubles what would be an ideal strategy going forward? Should I go for  guards that are good at 3s and steals Like Middleton and Russell? Or should I just dominate the big man categories and grab LA and Capella 

Punt points, threes, FT.  Win FG, Reb, blocks, DD, TO.  Compete in assists/steals.  Bigs go way up in double double leagues so I’d focus on them unless you can get some big assists/steals guys such as Lowry and CP3 who sometimes get DD. Draymond would be perfect too.  Lonzo later maybe.  Middleton/Russell would be the worst fit.  Your FT is beyond repair and they don’t get enough assists to threaten DDs.  

• Thanks 1

At 2012/13 season when I played in Estonian FNBA II league (deep, 20 teams) one team with pretentious name Cosmos managed to finish negative in every 11 categories (we have 9 usual + OREB and PF). It means he got negative win-loss result in all cats. That are superhuman skills to create that kind of team! I can't do it. At the same way I can't create a team which is positive in every category as one here mentioned ("I try to win every category. That's always been my draft philosophy."). However this option is even more likely if you play in league where you are the only experienced fantasy manager and all others are beginners. But finally I think that best what you can do is to get a positive score in 7 cats and negative in 2. Of course you don't win all weeks 7:2, but final result positive at 7 categories is possible. I repeat: that is the best what you can do in any draft.

Edited by apatas

In terms of positions have people had success dominating in one area and going for value in the other? For example i have 11th pick in a 10 cat 12 team league with DD. I could realistically start out with Drummond Vucevic Capela and Aldridge, and end up with guards like Lonzo morant smart Murray etc. I’d lock down fg rebounds blocks double doubles steals  and be ok at assists. Is a team like that effective or is it better to be somewhat balanced in the early rounds? 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jay2491 said:

In terms of positions have people had success dominating in one area and going for value in the other? For example i have 11th pick in a 10 cat 12 team league with DD. I could realistically start out with Drummond Vucevic Capela and Aldridge, and end up with guards like Lonzo morant smart Murray etc. I’d lock down fg rebounds blocks double doubles steals  and be ok at assists. Is a team like that effective or is it better to be somewhat balanced in the early rounds? 

I would do that personally.  Is it H2H?  Then even more so.  If it counts DD then I wouldn't bet on getting all 4 of those players.  You'll probably be lucky to get 2 of them.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

I would do that personally.  Is it H2H?  Then even more so.  If it counts DD then I wouldn't bet on getting all 4 of those players.  You'll probably be lucky to get 2 of them.  

Yea it’s head to head, i think Capela is the only one who might  go early in the third. In that case I’ll probably go LA and Lowry